New S3 Owners

JamS3

Reaction score
Would you mind checking the service interval display and post the rough milages your first services will be due.

Reason being is that my service book states I'm on longlife but my first service will be due around the 11k mark and was thinking this seems a little early for longlife.

Seems to me I may be on fixed which doesn't bother me as I'd rather be on that but looks like Audi cocked up again getting it wrong!

I'm on long life too and I've done 4006 miles. Mine says around 5600 to the next service. The days to next service shows 266 days to go. I've had the dealer check the service settings and they say they are correct. Does anyone know how to check the settings with Vagcom?

Mine says 9700 miles or 466 days, car has done 3300 miles so 13k before service. Seems like alot of days !!

Mark

On previous Audi's I've had this seems to be the norm. It normally starts to push the due mileage back as you rack up the miles.

If all S3's are going to need servicing at 12000ish miles I think we should complain as a group that the literature is misleading.

Steve

I dont have an S3 but our car came up for its first service at about 8.5K and it took about 56 weeks to get there(variable service schedule). It only does shortish journeys alot of the time(about 4.5-5 miles at a time to the Mrs work). The first service is only an oil change and it cost us £154 but some people have paid nearly £100 over that for the same service. The S3 must use the same oil and the same amount.

Mine also about 11K miles, and i don't really do many short journeys. The 330d i had before got to 22K before needing a service...

My S3 is on a fixed interval (i think) because when i bought her the service info showed 15.000 km (9.300 miles) or 365 days. Now after 6.200 km it shows exactly 8.800 km.

Anyway, i'll make the first oil change at 7.500 km (5.000 miles) and i will use Motul 300v 5w-30.

Mine's running around 9,600 miles after 1,100 miles and I've been driving it VERY carefully: poor.

Seems like almost everyone would be lucky to make it to 12,000 miles without the first service...it must be a joke?

If the software that determines service intervals measures trip distance, engine temperature, engine speed and throttle input then I guess 12,000 miles is about right for an S3. It is running much higher internal pressures and the average S3 driver will indeed by subjecting his or her car to a greater degree of stress by driving harder than say its diesel counterpart. I myself don't have any complaints about the service scheduling. At the end of the day, it is Variable Servicing! Be glad that you don't own an EVO! Furthermore, I would say that the interval will probably increase as the car eases in. I've now done close to 6000 miles and the distance to service seems to be increasing in increments of 100 miles for every 150 I cover. Until the lights actually own you'll never know.

Used to be able to push my E46 M3 about 16,000 miles between services and that was a 343bhp nutter car!

CJP80 said:
If the software that determines service intervals measures trip distance, engine temperature, engine speed and throttle input then I guess 12,000 miles is about right for an S3. It is running much higher internal pressures and the average S3 driver will indeed by subjecting his or her car to a greater degree of stress by driving harder than say its diesel counterpart. I myself don't have any complaints about the service scheduling. At the end of the day, it is Variable Servicing! Be glad that you don't own an EVO! Furthermore, I would say that the interval will probably increase as the car eases in. I've now done close to 6000 miles and the distance to service seems to be increasing in increments of 100 miles for every 150 I cover. Until the lights actually own you'll never know.

I didn't buy an Evo because of the servicing costs!!!

When the brochures, the slaesmen and the service managers all ******** you that you should get 16,000-17,000 between services on the long life regimen, that is what you should get. I accept that if you do lots of short trips then it will drop by several thousand miles, but for everyone to be getting the same is utter ********.

What mad me laugh was that our car showed about 1000 miles until the next service or 20 something days. We went on holiday(for 11 nights) and the car wasnt used at all while we were away. When we got back the service was pretty much due. It deffinately counts down on top of how the car is used.

"I didn't buy an Evo because of the servicing costs!!!

When the brochures, the slaesmen and the service managers all ******** you that you should get 16,000-17,000 between services on the long life regimen, that is what you should get."

Having worked in an Audi dealership for a period of 3 years, and having driven more than 40 Demo's I can testify to the fact that long life servicing brings the average driver in at ~15,000 miles. I'm sure that if you drive your S3 like the average driver of say, a 2.0 TDI, you'll be in around the same. The trouble is, the average S3 driver will be driving their car harder, as it's designed to be. At the end of the day, high performance cars are subject to more stress, and as such, will require servicing more often.

I'd really have a problem if my AVS brought me in before 10K. It's not like you're sacrificing anything by choosing AVS. You do have the choice to go fixed.

Mines saying another 7700 miles. I have 1600 miles on the clock, so at this rate a service will be due at just over 9000 miles

I'm sure it will increase. If it doesn't I'd be speaking to Audi UK! :noway:

CJP80 said:
Having worked in an Audi dealership for a period of 3 years, and having driven more than 40 Demo's I can testify to the fact that long life servicing brings the average driver in at ~15,000 miles. I'm sure that if you drive your S3 like the average driver of say, a 2.0 TDI, you'll be in around the same. The trouble is, the average S3 driver will be driving their car harder, as it's designed to be. At the end of the day, high performance cars are subject to more stress, and as such, will require servicing more often.

I'd really have a problem if my AVS brought me in before 10K. It's not like you're sacrificing anything by choosing AVS. You do have the choice to go fixed.

So one would assume then that with the number of S4's, RS4's, S6's and S8's on AVS the dealers etc. would expect them to get driven that bit harder and from experience would know that an S4 for instance would need servicing sooner than lets say a 170TD, and then apply that logic to the S3 when they talk about it. But they don't, they say, as does the literature, etc. that you can expect to get 16-17,000 miles out of your S3.

They don't say drive it like a pansy, they do say that if you do lots of short trips then you might see the distance reduce by a couple of thousand...

So you tell me, is that being straight or is it not being straight?

And without even quibbling about the LL oil costing more, if someone made their decision over let's say a BMW (a model that they owned before, let's say an M3 and got to 16,000) because Audi said AVS would be 16-17,000 miles and they wanted a similar servicing period, wouldn't they feel deceived.

And if you try hard, you may learn how to quote.

My 2.0T is coming up for its second service at about 23,000miles, from memory the book says if you use the likes of Mobil 1 you should get the service done every 12,000 miles, I reckon thats the better option, I can't see this long life stuff being as good as mobil 1??

My old 8L S3 was on AVS, and its first service was at 16500 miles. And it was driven "hard" i.e. lots of full throttle acceleration, on a daily basis.

So maybe the new one is more frigid! So thats worse fuel economy than an 8L S3 and worse service-to-service period. :)

AL

normski said:
So one would assume then that with the number of S4's, RS4's, S6's and S8's on AVS the dealers etc. would expect them to get driven that bit harder and from experience would know that an S4 for instance would need servicing sooner than lets say a 170TD, and then apply that logic to the S3 when they talk about it. But they don't, they say, as does the literature, etc. that you can expect to get 16-17,000 miles out of your S3.

They don't say drive it like a pansy, they do say that if you do lots of short trips then you might see the distance reduce by a couple of thousand...

So you tell me, is that being straight or is it not being straight?

And without even quibbling about the LL oil costing more, if someone made their decision over let's say a BMW (a model that they owned before, let's say an M3 and got to 16,000) because Audi said AVS would be 16-17,000 miles and they wanted a similar servicing period, wouldn't they feel deceived.

And if you try hard, you may learn how to quote.

Let me ask this. Has anyone had their S3 in for a service yet? And at what mileage? Regardless of what the AVS indicates, you will not know until you approach to within 1000 miles of what is indicated. I've had 2.0TDI A4's that have indicated 9000 miles to service. The reason - they sat in a field somewhere for 6 months. Upon driving these cars, the range to service slowly increases. I will agree though, that for everyone to be reporting their S3's as reading ~ 12K is bit peculiar, and indeed maybe a mistake on Audi's part. If they purposefully set it to be more sensitive then they're negating the advantages of AVS in the first place, and they should inform owners prior to publishing literature. Either way, if my car needs done, it's going in.

Satisfied Normski?

Well mine is estimating a first service for 14K miles, It seems right, been trashed a lot, perhaps to much but if anything as to go, better to go under warranty! :p

I believe that the 16K-17K service intervals are possible as are the Audi average fuel consumption but you only if you drive it very very gently!

My car is with 5200Km now and as a total average consumption of 12L/100Km, far from 9.7L/100Km Audi states. To get that 9.7 I could not go over the legal limits and forget town driving... In that case what do I need an S3 for....

So although literatur might no be lying it is mischieving... Never really convinced me though, so no surprises here...

Pedro

Mine is an ex demo and is calling me in at around 9,600 miles. Probably down to it's former short journey life I would imagine. I bought it with around 5,800 on the clock but loaded with options.

I contacted the dealer and spoke to the after sales guy and questioned this and the fact I was mislead with the servicing intervals i.e 20k miles or 2 years and suggested that they should have really serviced the car before I took ownership to clear it's hitsory so that I was'nt penalised for this.

Fair play to them cos they have agreed and will foot the bill of the first service. :happy:

Agree it should be clearer in the literature but they are performance cars after all so I would expect to service it annually.

I've just bought a 5 month old one with only 1678 miles on the clock !! Guess that means extremely short journeys and service due next week !!!

Not bothered to be honest, been a long time since a car made me smile so much...

I still don't like the idea of variable servicing.

Every car I've owned has been serviced every 5,000 miles, and they've all been better off for it!

Well I've opened a little can of worms here!

I think too its misleading as it seems our first services are going to be around 12k not around 16k as expected. Yes I know thats only a difference of 4k but whats the point of variable with this gap? My old 8L S3 did at least 16k more often 18k between services.

I'm going to change to fixed so the oil gets changed every 10k so the engine stays tip top.

CJP80

I have driven numerous Audis too and don't really agree with your comment that "you will not know until you approach to within 1000 miles of what is indicated."

Every Audi I have driven has been true to the DIS display well in advance and I'm sure most on here will too ie if it says 9k to go to the next it will be give or take a few hundred miles.

The only time the service indicator is unreliable is when a car has been serviced and the indicator reset and for the next 1k miles or so it works out the next service then counts down again within a hundred or so.

hello
my name is nadir
i`m form romania ana i own an white audi s3 ;)