MP3 adapter?

sat1983

Reaction score
Got a 56 plate 2.0 TDI with the bog standard Audi concert unit. Anything I could buy to play my mp3's??
Cheers boys and girls:thumbsup:

Buy a Becker Mexico or Grand Prix head unit with ipod connection - if you have an ipod that is

becker HU's are awesome - look factory, easy to control and have amazing sound quality

the mexico is cheapest but the grand prix has bluetooth phone which i have and is great!

the grand prix and ipod control with a lead to connect the standard sub from autoleads should cost in and around £330 (rrp £414.98)

Harmon Kardon or Dension link if you have a ipod.

You could always burn your mp3's to cd as you concert unit will play mp3 cds and show track info on the headunit if you don't want to change your original head unit or buy any of the above.

Boydie said:
Buy a Becker Mexico or Grand Prix head unit with ipod connection - if you have an ipod that is

becker HU's are awesome - look factory, easy to control and have amazing sound quality

the mexico is cheapest but the grand prix has bluetooth phone which i have and is great!

the grand prix and ipod control with a lead to connect the standard sub from autoleads should cost in and around £330 (rrp £414.98)
yeah, but replacing the standard head unit with an aftermarket one requires a blanking plate to fill the gap around the head unit.

even worse if you have a double-din head unit.

ah suppose - didnt think about the double din but the facia can be bought from autoleads too for £10 - perfect match

17395979a3945167633b38634021l.jpg

(pity about the shine off the adaptor but it is 100%)

ill get better pics - looks factory fit in person and looks even better at night

plus - the standard unit cant do what i want this unit to do

it doesn't look gret to me either - i'd rather have the standard unit!

JamS3 said:
You could always burn your mp3's to cd as you concert unit will play mp3 cds

Surely not?

Phatnoise is certainly the way to go I reckon. Or an MP3 CD changer with a suitable adapter for your Concert II.

JamS3 said:
You could always burn your mp3's to cd as you concert unit will play mp3 cds and show track info on the headunit if you don't want to change your original head unit or buy any of the above.

I hope this is right!! I'd much rather leave the concert unit and not faff with anything aftermarket! It just doesn't look right.
Can you confirm this? Have you tried it?

sat1983 said:
I hope this is right!! I'd much rather leave the concert unit and not faff with anything aftermarket! It just doesn't look right.
Can you confirm this? Have you tried it?

For the new generation (double din concert) yes it plays MP3's with track info. For the old model, no it doesn't play them.

normski said:
For the new generation (double din concert) yes it plays MP3's with track info. For the old model, no it doesn't play them.

Nooooooooooooooooooo how frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!! I should have bought new!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:sadlike:

Is this really such a tough task to change my unit to double din concert or sat nav?

myaudi2.jpg

sat1983 said:
Is this really such a tough task to change my unit to double din concert or sat nav?

[URL="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/sat1983/myaudi2.jpg"][URL="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/sat1983/myaudi2.jpg"][/URL][/URL]
there's a proper doc online somewhere, but here's the gist of what you'll need to do:

INSTALLATION:
Unfortunately, like I said, I don't have pics from the install itself. It's just a matter of unscrewing and removal and replacing.
If you're worried about scratching up your dash, put a towel across your handles, and use painter's tape on the outer trim of the centre console.
I didn't do either since I was exceedingly careful... but use your own judgement.

1) Remove Concert II radio
Using 2 radio removal keys, remove the old radio.
*Insert the keys with the 'hooks' facing inward
* Once the keys pop in, you can't remove them until the radio is out.
Once removed, disconnect the adapters. Don't worry about not knowing what goes where after - it's a simple puzzle. They are colour coded and are size dependant as well.

2) Once the radio is removed, pull off the upper trim piece. It'll pop out easily.

3) Remove blank switches, ESP switch, Hazard ligh switch, and Card holder.
The blanks pop out easily.
The ESP and Hazard switches need to be pulled out and unplugged - again don't worry about confusing them later - colour coded white and black.
The Card holder requires a fine tool to push down on small clips on the upper right and left side. (Easily seen with the drawer open).

4) Remove the climate control unit.
It'll pull out easily with the rest gone. Unhook all the cables - again colour coded and size dependant for later.
Now it gets fun.

5) Removal of ash tray.
Open the ashtray. Hook your fingers underneath where the ashtray meets the shift boot. Lift up firmly. The shift boot trim should pop up. There are two clips in the front and two in the back. Pull the boot up all the way over the gear shift (for 6MT) and put the car in 4th or 6th to get the stick out of the way.

6) Remove glove box and cover underneath steering wheel.
This is a simple process of removing bolts. There are many.
Under steering wheel:
a) Push light switch in, and twist to the right. It should pop out. Disconnect the two connections, and put switch away for later.
b) Remove fuse box panel cover.
c) Unscrew all the bolts underneath the fuse panel. It's obvious which ones are holding the lower dash on.
d) There are two bolts in the foot well. One on the right and one on the left. Unscrew both of those and the lower dash should come off.
e) The top will tilt down. With the top part down, pull outward and the rest of it should come off.

Glove Box:
a) Remove side panel
b) Open glove box and remove everything.
c) Unscrew all bolts - 3 or 4 on side by panel, another 6 or so found after opening the glove box.
d) After all the bolts are removed, the glove box will fall downward. Unhook the pass. airbag connection, the CD changer cable, and the in-box light cable.

7) Remove center console handles.
In the picture below, see the four circles in the shift boot area. Those need to be undone.
On the underside of the handles, in the middle, is a hole reaching to a HEX bolt. From memory, I think it was an 8mm bolt (could be 6mm...). Those two bolts need to be undone.
[URL="http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/mgiuffre/Single-DIN4.jpg"][/URL]
8) Unscrew the single-DIN cage
Where the red circles are, are torx screws. Unscrew all of them and another two screws on the side (glove box and driver foot well lower dash) and this should completely loosen the single-DIN. Loosening all these screws will also allow the handle bars to completely come off.
[URL="http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/mgiuffre/Single-DIN3.jpg"][/URL]
[URL="http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/mgiuffre/Single-DIN1.jpg"][/URL]
[URL="http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/mgiuffre/Single-DIN2.jpg"][/URL]
9) Remove the single-DIN cage
This sounds easier than it is. It's not meant to come out this way, but it will come. Pull out and twist down to the right. That worked for me.
**At this point, I had everything out. The ashtray and the "storage" area behind it were out. The entire dash had been taken out.
** Alright, very nice. The removing aspect of the job is done.... now it's time for the good stuff. Installing.

10) Install the double-DIN cage
Again, sounds easier than it is. Just keep working it, and it will eventually go in. This is the part when I started sweating - taping the area would have been a great idea, but I managed not to scratch anything.

11) Line up the RNS-E unit in the cage.
Once the double-DIN cage is in, screw in the torx screws, but don't tighten.

12) Slide in the RNS-E unit, but not all the way in. Don't re-attach the cables.
This is check to make sure that the Nav+ will sit straight. If it's straight, remove the RNS-E and then go hard with the torx screws.
[URL="http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/mgiuffre/double-DIN1.jpg"][/URL]
13) Once all the torx screws have been tightened, install the RNS-E unit.
Attach the new cable harness, GPS antenna, Radio antenna, and push the unit all the way until it clicks.

14) Install the blanks, the two switches, and the new card tray.

15) Install the trim surround.
Now the sensitive part... cutting the climate control unit.
I didn't feel like shelling out $1,000 to buy a double-DIN climate control. So, I used a Dremel to shave down the sides so that it would fit.

16) Make a template of the shape of the new climate control.
I took a piece of cardboard and kept cutting it until it fit into the climate control area (on the bottom) like the actual unit would.
Once I had the exact shape, I centered it on my climate control and cut two rectangles for the knobs.
With the template centered on the climate unit, I traced the outline on it as the marks for cutting.

17) Using a dremel, shave down the sides of the climate control unit.
Take your time with this... keep shaving and testing, shaving and testing.

18) Once the fit is perfect, using a soft cloth polisher, buff the sides of the unit so that it's smooth and not jagged from the sanding.
Hardest part is over!

19) Attach all the cables to climate control unit.

20) Wire your GPS antenna to a good location. I wired mine to the driver side fuse box. I get 4-8 satellites there all the time.
A lot of people have wired their antenna's up in the instrument cluster.
It's magnetic so it'll attach just about anywhere.
If you're really bold, you can get a FAKRA extension and wire it up to the existing sharkfin antenna on the roof... totally not necessary though.

21) Do not turn on car yet! If this is the end of the install, make sure you reinstall all the cables - light switch, pass. airbag, cd changer etc. or you'll get a bunch of vag-com codes.

22) Put everything back together. Power on car. Hopefully everything should work - normal satellite reception is > 3.

23) For the ashtray area, I ended up doing a little bit of crude modifying. Since the double-DIN sits so much lower than the single-DIN, the storage area behind the ashtray is essentially eliminated. I didn't want to get a new bezel and trim that would be stuck in a hole I'd never see.
After removing the existing storage area trim, you'll see four tabs at the back. The two in the middle don't line up with the double-DIN.
I snapped them off.
The result... the same flooring of the storage area behind the ashtray, and more $$ in my pocket.

24) ADMIRE YOUR HANDYWORK!! [URL="http://images.zeroforum.com/smile/emthup.gif"][/URL]

25) Get your Vag Com cable out to do the necessary coding. If you don't have one, your dealer should be able to do the necessary coding for you.

still fancy doing it?

In a word? No. But thanks anyway!
Bet audi would charge a fair amount to do it. I wish I'd have bought the A3 with the double din, I really do!