EM TuningSky Insurance
    Neutral

Status

Boost gauge installed

Finally a boostgauge option is available for the A3 that actually looks good It's a fairly cheap, yet usable mod, specially for those of us with chiptuning.

http://www.newsouthperformance.com/pod014.htm

I am very happy with it, the quality of the plastic is good and the texture is very close to oem. The price was $89.00 plus installation wich took over an hour.

Last edited by Tommy1finger; 8th May 2007 at 23:28.

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    I'm sorry but that is the most hideous thing I've ever seen and has no place in an A3 imo
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo1
    I'm sorry but that is the most hideous thing I've ever seen and has no place in an A3 imo
    There aren't too many places where an additional gauge could be fitted in the A3 interior, the other option is the kit that installs in one of the vents. From my seating position it only blocks part of the tachometer past the redline.

5th Gear

Status
    That does look truly awful.

windsurfer

Status
    Don't like it as well but The S3 could have a boost gauge... it would be nice..

Pedro
    FOR SALE: S3 Phantom Black, left hand drive, Xenons, FBMFSW, bucket seats, BOSE, rear parking sensors, armrest, interior light package, Symphony II+. Full Audi service history and 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 2. 18500 miles PM for details! I want to give it away have a good family reason. For a quick sale around 19.5k PM only if interest is genuine! Thanks

1st Gear

Status
    I actually thought it looks quite ok, although I have no mean to install one.

Have to appreciate your effort for a post thou.
    2007 Lava grey A3 2.0 140 TDI Quattro Sportsback
    S-line int/ext, cruise, mfsw, aluminum rails, Xenons+, coming-leaving home, light + rain, parking sensors, hill hold, Bluefin, 18" OEM double 7-spokes RS4 alloys

Reverse Gear

Status
    Sorry man, great effort but truly ugly... Do you guys know if anyone makes one of those a pillar guage housings for the A3?? would really like a boost guage for my car as well....

Four Wheel Drifting

Status
    Why???????????
    Unmolested Ming blue S3 (so it doesn't handle or stop very well), Bose, sunroof and centre armrest but no heated seats - Gone but not forgotten although I am enjoying the new 350CLK!

PSN - S3hawkster

Status
    Sorry not a fan either; it's just totally out of place on a premium hatchback like the A3. Plus you'll be missing some of the DIS instructions with the RNS-E!
    2004 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI SE, RNS-E Sat Nav SW0650 TMC, 17" Star Alloys, Xenons, DIS, Rear Mats & Sunblind, Alu trim, Ebony Black pearlescent
    2006 Honda Accord EX i-CTDI, Arctic Blue, Leather, Sat Nav, XCarLink

1st Gear

Status
    Not to hijack this thread, but I notice on the pictures the aluminum air vents are different (TT vents) than the ones in europe (Tommy1figner is in Portland, USA). Is this something he changed himself or is that standard US specs for A3?

I've read from soemwhere before that you can't get the aluminum rings alone, you have to buy the whole console from TT ...don't remeber the cost but i remeber it was absolutley ridiculous price for some aluminum rings.

Anyone knows if this is still correct?
    2007 Lava grey A3 2.0 140 TDI Quattro Sportsback
    S-line int/ext, cruise, mfsw, aluminum rails, Xenons+, coming-leaving home, light + rain, parking sensors, hill hold, Bluefin, 18" OEM double 7-spokes RS4 alloys

Boydie
    not bad tommy - as long as it displays the info that you want and need who cares where its postioned or what people think!

the airvents are in and around £250 for the set i think but im not 100%

as for the guage pods - you could easily make one yourself with a small mdf ring and some fibreglass/isopon and cover it in matching alacantra

shouldnt cost that much to get done by a professional ICE bodyshop or the likes

1st Gear

Status
    I have a vent guage installed in my S3 and met with the same protests of why it wasn't necessary and how it would devalue the car etc. As Boydie says if you are happy with the end results go for it. Nice to see an alternative fitting.

regards

6th Gear

Status
    Don't get me wrong, he's more than entitled to fit whatever he likes to his car and I'd defend his right to do so. Similarly, I have the right to voice my opinion of it
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

6th Gear

Status
    Man that gauge looks crap!

Total respect for getting it fitted but in a car like an A3 it just looks too out of place, in a Saxo or Nova it would look super but not in an A3.

Just a quick question though, what kinda boost figures are you getting at WOT?

Neutral

Status
    Perhaps the pictures don't do justice, it really doesn't look that bad. Knowing how much you are boosting is a useful information, specially if you are tracking your car like myself. With APR stage 1 program the highest I've seen it was 20psi.

My interior is stock, the car is an early 2006 model with the sports package....

3rd Gear

Status
    and the point of it is.........

apart from looking butt ugly....

It takes all sorts I suppose but I've always been puzzled by guys wanting a guage to tell them something that should be bloomin' obvious, I file this under the 'as much use as a diesel dump valve' category.
    Pragmatik ICT
    Revo (VAG & Porsche) & Steinbauer Dealer for Suffolk & N.Essex
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDi Sport DSG Revo Stage 1 & 2
    Porsche Boxster S Revo Stage 1

Boydie
    what?? a boost gauge is very useful - for someone with a remapped/chip/tuned car who tracks it, its almost essential!

the driver wants to know how much boost he is running while on track or whatever - plus, if he can alter the boost (like a boost controller) he can see accurately what level s/he is at!

Neutral

Status
    I needed to have a boost gauge, if any of you can suggest me a better location without cutting the dash or permanently altering the car, by all means please do. The current setup is fully functional, highly visible, affordable, good quality and it can be removed without a trace. Newsouth performance is a highly reputable company, serving the VAG community for many years.

Here is another setup, perhaps it does look better, but how the hell is that functional?

http://homepage.mac.com/risowu/OSIR/...IGHT_HOME.html

4th Gear

Status
    You lot are a tad harsh. It aint meant to look nice as such is it! If the guy needs it, which he clearly does, good enough for me.
    Ex 2006 A3 2.0 TDI owner

2010 Polo GTI 6R

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sat1983
    You lot are a tad harsh. It aint meant to look nice as such is it! If the guy needs it, which he clearly does, good enough for me.
    This is great, I do appreciate everyone's honesty on here instead of saying it looks great while thinking just the opposite.

It's easy to be critical, how about coming up with a solution? Where else could a boost gauge be installed tastefully, functionally, without altering the car permanently?

1st Gear

Status
    At the risk of being slagged of again by the "what use is a boost gauge brigade" here is another alternative

Click the image for full size clearer picture

4th Gear

Status
    Well that looks just as stuck on as the first one.

Best option would be something on the DIS display but obviously that may not be possible.

Lord of War

Status
    Why is it that A3s seem to be attracting rhe chav crowd of late?

First it was those shiiiite rear lights, now boost gauges? wtf? Don't forget to get those nice blue led washer jets as well!

5th Gear

Status
    oh I like the blue washer jet lights....
    2.0T Quattro SLine, now 320d Sport Touring

Four Wheel Drifting

Status
    Bloody snobs...bring on the blue washer jets, can we have a group discount...
    Unmolested Ming blue S3 (so it doesn't handle or stop very well), Bose, sunroof and centre armrest but no heated seats - Gone but not forgotten although I am enjoying the new 350CLK!

PSN - S3hawkster

Boydie
    snob is right - for goodness sake where's all your creativity and originality?

if there was no such thing as modification then we would all be driving boring A3's or is that why people on here list their optional extra's in their signature to show the not so better off members of this site how snobby they are??

and once again the word "chav" has been wrongly used once again on this forum - no doubt related to members like me who like to modify their car!

chav is however blue washer jets, blue bulbs, massive silly bodykit and spoiler, tunes pumping and burberry hat hanging off the back of their head sporting an earring or ratty looking expression on their face!

under pressure

Status
    I agree, a boost gauge is a good thing to have (espeacialy if the car is tuned), but it does look awful in both cases.
    Last edited by aiculedtzu; 17th May 2007 at 20:47.
    Audi S3 2.0 TFSI quattro - Turbo-Back exhaust - Cold Air Intake - Uprated Fuel Pump - Upgraded Clutch - Upgraded Intercooler - Stage2+ Software

Four Wheel Drifting

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydie
    chav is however blue washer jets, blue bulbs, massive silly bodykit and spoiler, tunes pumping and burberry hat hanging off the back of their head sporting an earring or ratty looking expression on their face!
    According to your signature that makes you an eighth of the way there!

Come on, dont deny it, you know you like to pump those tunes out on your show winning ICE.

PSN - S3hawkster

Boydie
    ok, do you want a picture up of my A3 beside a chaved up corsa or saxo?

i certainly dont have any of the above items lol my bodykit is the factory votex/vortex kit that many on here have and i have changed the suspension and my rims as a lot of people have done so on here so i fail to see your point of me being an eighth of a chav :S

there are a select few on this site that appreciate subtle modifications and change - i wouldnt waste money on tacky mods

and to be truthfully honest, i dont "pump" my system at all, my system is all about SQ and not SPL - when im in town or in traffic my music is turned down as not to disturb other people as i know what impression that gives off

Flat Oot like a ducks Foot

Status

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by aiculedtzu
    I agree, a boost gauge is a good thing to have (espeacialy if the car is tuned), but it does looks awful in both cases.
    Well the opinion of most guys on other forums is that a boost guage is a must on any tuned turbo motor. Keeps you informed on how it's behaving...

I admit there must be a better way of mounting them tho. Maybe a pillar mount? If it was done right...

Also has anyone seen an Imprezza 22b? I could have sworn that they had a column mount as standard but with a guage around 30mm accross instead of the usual 52mm. Am i right or did i dream it?
    ...... Now this one's MUCH better!...

Reverse Gear

Status
    I think the pics below are better pics of the "Vent Gauge". Don't look too bad especially when they match the fonts and the lighting of the panel.

http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/shar...IL=a3ventgauge

A3 2.0T Sportback. DSG, Phantom Black, Sports package, Hill Hold, Concert Stereo, 18" S3 Replicas on 225/40/18 Pirelli P Zero Nero

Lord of War

Status
    still looks $hit to me.

5th Gear

Status
    you woudn't spend money on tacky ****? you already have done that boost guage is the 'meaning' of tacky.... jeez go and buy a VXR/ST and fulfil your chav dream!

Boydie
    why do you think an A3 or audis for that matter is a car for snob's??

Lord of War

Status
    Hardly, it's only a ~23k car so hardly worth being a snob about. I just hate to see a decent looking car have cheap crap stapled to it.

Neutral

Status
    Im looking at Installing a boost guage, I would love to see if the car is boosting to what it should (since the remap) and also it would be an INSTANT tell if something is not working properly. That is reason enough to warrant me getting one. and if you dont need one. Good for you, save the money.

As far as the install's go, im not to phased about how it looks. As long as its out of the way and easily removable for when im ready to sell the car. Im the one who has to be happy with it. Screw who ever else doesnt like it.

Both the installs in this thread are neat!But Personally wouldnt do the vent install beacuse I love my airon! :P