Sky InsuranceMonster Motorsport
    SMc
    1st Gear

Status

Advice on buying new A3 2.0TDi SLine Sportback please...

Hi Everyone....

I've had my A3 1.8TS for 3.5 years now and loved it. Despite being 7 years old, it still drives and feels like a new car! Due to how happy I have been with the A3, I am about to invest in a brand new one!

I have made up my mind on the following model and spec......

A3 2.0TDi Sline Sportback

Lava Grey
    Black leather seats
    Polished roof rails
    Privacy Glass
    Sun Band on windscreen
    18" 5-arm alloys
    Interior light pack
    Non smoking pack
    Rear mats
    Multi function steering wheel
    Cruise control
    Symphony II
    Ipod Connector
    Bose system

Looking at my model, colour, spec and extras list, does anyone have any advice on other extras that may be useful or basically any advice on whether I should go for this or not?

One thing I have to find out.....the model options has the 140bhp model and the 170bhp DPF.......sorry, but what is DPF? and is the only difference between the 170 and 140 the mapping?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Cheers
    On my 3rd Audi.....my latest PROJECT...... a 2002 A4 1.9TDi Avant Sport.... wrapped matt white with 19" VMR matt black wheels.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Uber Post Whore

Status
    Hello and welcome.

Yep, the difference is 30 bhp and torque is up also, plus emissions would be different too.

DPF, not sure, maybe direct pollen filter, something to do with the pump duse technology.

Did you think about getting quattro?

2013 AUDI A3 SB S-LINE : 2.0 TDIQ 184 : GLACIER WHITE :
    : S-TRONIC : COMFORT PACK : SD SAT NAV : FOLDING MIRRORS : HEATED SEATS: RIGID BOOT LINER :

1st Gear

Status
    DPF stands for Diesel Particulate Filter. A part which sits just before the Catalyst and dramatically reduces exhaust emissions.

Main differences between 140 and 170 on A3 are larger and reworked Front Mounted Intercooler and Pipes, different turbo, injectors and modfied air induction system.
    2008 VW Golf R32 3dr

DBP :: RNS510 :: Winter Pack :: Retrofit Cruise :: OEM LED Tail Lights :: R-line badges ::

1st Gear

Status
    Oh, the only thing I would remove from your spec list is the Multi Function Steering wheel; really not worth it unless you spec phone preperation as half the buttons do not work. I would recommend ditching those and add the mini roof rails as they add so much to the look of the car.
    2008 VW Golf R32 3dr

DBP :: RNS510 :: Winter Pack :: Retrofit Cruise :: OEM LED Tail Lights :: R-line badges ::

6th Gear

Status
    Re the 170, as Nelson said, there are mechanical differences, it's not just a remap. Main difference is the use of piezo injectors. In practice, apart from the extra power, the 170 sounds a lot more refined and revs more freely than the 140. DPF does indeed standard for Diesel Particulate Filter and reduces smoke to the point where they're allowed to fit straight exhausts.

As for the spec, I'd also echo Nelson's comments regards the wheel, not worth it without the phone prep. If you're doing enough motorway driving to warrant speccing cruise then I'd also strongly recommend the front armrest.
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

5th Gear

Status

Thumbs up

Nice spec. I would add rear parking sensors as I think that the visibilty on the A3 is one of the worst cars I have ever driven.

I would stick with the Multi function wheel as it looks miles better than the standard sline wheel and is very useful when you have the IPOD linked up for scrolling through 10,000 songs

I would go with the 170 if you can afford it, if not then get the 140 and when the car has run in, get it remapped.

I would also aim to get at least 10% off from the stealers. If your local stealer will not deal, just use the phone, you know your spec and any stealer will deliver the car on a truck FOC.

The big, big thing I really miss on mine is a sun roof, pricey I know, but this is the first car I have had without one. None somking pack means you lose the front ashtray and instead have a big open space, I think if I was to order again I would have the ashtray as it would be more use for coins etc, I aslo would have the Ali trim and not the Piano black.
    2.0T Quattro SLine, now 320d Sport Touring

4th Gear

Status
    I would think carefully about speccing in the phone prep. Ford and vauxhall are starting to add it as standard and when you come to sell your premium brand car in a few years it will be missing something every manufacturer then will be specing as standard. Its not the same having an aftermarket kit added.

I originally wanted the roof rails but after looking at some SBs fitted with them I think the car is too short for them to look good, it makes it look dumpy. They look fanatstic on the A4 avant though.
    Now:BMW 530d M-sport tourer. Then:Lava Grey A3 Sportback S-line 2.0TFSI Quattro, S-line Special Edition, Xenon Plus, Leather, Light and Rain Pack, Interior light Pack, Bose, DVD Nav+, Bluetooth, Multifunction wheel,Cruise, Heated Front Seats, Folding Mirrors, Rear Parking Sensor and some other bits.