Advice on buying new A3 2.0TDi SLine Sportback please...

SMc

Reaction score
Website
www.smcphotography.co.uk
Hi Everyone....

I've had my A3 1.8TS for 3.5 years now and loved it. Despite being 7 years old, it still drives and feels like a new car! Due to how happy I have been with the A3, I am about to invest in a brand new one!

I have made up my mind on the following model and spec......

A3 2.0TDi Sline Sportback

Lava Grey
Black leather seats
Polished roof rails
Privacy Glass
Sun Band on windscreen
18" 5-arm alloys
Interior light pack
Non smoking pack
Rear mats
Multi function steering wheel
Cruise control
Symphony II
Ipod Connector
Bose system

Looking at my model, colour, spec and extras list, does anyone have any advice on other extras that may be useful or basically any advice on whether I should go for this or not?

One thing I have to find out.....the model options has the 140bhp model and the 170bhp DPF.......sorry, but what is DPF? and is the only difference between the 170 and 140 the mapping?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Hello and welcome.

Yep, the difference is 30 bhp and torque is up also, plus emissions would be different too.

DPF, not sure, maybe direct pollen filter, something to do with the pump duse technology.

Did you think about getting quattro?

DPF stands for Diesel Particulate Filter. A part which sits just before the Catalyst and dramatically reduces exhaust emissions.

Main differences between 140 and 170 on A3 are larger and reworked Front Mounted Intercooler and Pipes, different turbo, injectors and modfied air induction system.

Oh, the only thing I would remove from your spec list is the Multi Function Steering wheel; really not worth it unless you spec phone preperation as half the buttons do not work. I would recommend ditching those and add the mini roof rails as they add so much to the look of the car.

Re the 170, as Nelson said, there are mechanical differences, it's not just a remap. Main difference is the use of piezo injectors. In practice, apart from the extra power, the 170 sounds a lot more refined and revs more freely than the 140. DPF does indeed standard for Diesel Particulate Filter and reduces smoke to the point where they're allowed to fit straight exhausts.

As for the spec, I'd also echo Nelson's comments regards the wheel, not worth it without the phone prep. If you're doing enough motorway driving to warrant speccing cruise then I'd also strongly recommend the front armrest.

Nice spec. I would add rear parking sensors as I think that the visibilty on the A3 is one of the worst cars I have ever driven.

I would stick with the Multi function wheel as it looks miles better than the standard sline wheel and is very useful when you have the IPOD linked up for scrolling through 10,000 songs

I would go with the 170 if you can afford it, if not then get the 140 and when the car has run in, get it remapped.

I would also aim to get at least 10% off from the stealers. If your local stealer will not deal, just use the phone, you know your spec and any stealer will deliver the car on a truck FOC.

The big, big thing I really miss on mine is a sun roof, pricey I know, but this is the first car I have had without one. None somking pack means you lose the front ashtray and instead have a big open space, I think if I was to order again I would have the ashtray as it would be more use for coins etc, I aslo would have the Ali trim and not the Piano black.

I would think carefully about speccing in the phone prep. Ford and vauxhall are starting to add it as standard and when you come to sell your premium brand car in a few years it will be missing something every manufacturer then will be specing as standard. Its not the same having an aftermarket kit added.

I originally wanted the roof rails but after looking at some SBs fitted with them I think the car is too short for them to look good, it makes it look dumpy. They look fanatstic on the A4 avant though.