Car Colour Choices

MarcQuinlivan

Reaction score
Website
audiretrofit.quinlivan.net
A report in today's Irish Independent Newspaper says the following:

YOUR choice of car colour could cost you a lot of money. The GE Money used car index finds the shade of your motor is now a key determinant of demand and sale on the forecourts. The 'right' colour could add €1,000 to the value of a car.

But the 'wrong' shade could leave you with something nobody wants - and it will continue to plummet in value. The index says women have taken up the lead on the colour of their cars.

Insofar as it's possible to determine what's 'in' at the moment, here's the current advice:

* White is for ambulances

* Bright red, a fast colour for a fast car - great on a sports car or super-mini, but not on an executive

* Black is slimming even for fat-cats, while silver is the default option if you've forgotten to bring your colour stylist along

Also pay attention to the interior. If inside shades don't complement external paintwork, you could deter prospective buyers. "Getting it right on the outside but wrong on the inside is one of this year's motor fashion faux pas," the index says.

I read an article in a motoring magazine the other day that said Black has now overtaken Silver as the most common colour for a new car.

Personally I order what colour I prefer and as it's usually silver I've never had a problem with re-sale value. It reminds me a bit of the days when people used to be a brand new car and immediately put seat covers on the seats to make sure they were still all nice and clean when they came to re-sell it. They seemed happy to drive around for years with plastic bags over their seats just so they were nice and clean when the wanted to sell the car.

Here's my take on it,and I've had umpteen colours.
Off the top of my head I've had white cars,metallic green cars (dragon green Gti,very nice) silver cars,black cars,blue cars and red cars.

Black - I used to think it was a nightmare,but I wasn't fully aware of good cleaning/waxing products.Black is now near the top of my list.
Silver - a safe choice,but I find cars lose any styling definition they may have.They become a bit 'shapeless'.It also always looks clean,but never looks really clean,if you get my drift.
White - Yuk
Red - Only Ferraris and Alfa Romeos should be red

With regard to other colours,I sometimes like the metallic 'gunmetal greys' you see going around,depending on the shade.
They look classy.
Trendy colours are a nightmare.
My wife has,in the past,had a dark purple Honda civic and a metallic lilac Mitsubishi Colt.She saw the colours and bought the cars based on that.Both great little cars,but when I see examples of them now I thank god we don't have them any more.

I'm erring on the side of a metallic black 159 next,with any colour of leather interior I can get a hold of without having to wait.
I don't care of it's the black,red,tan,natural or cream leather,doesn't matter.

bowfer said:
I'm erring on the side of a metallic black 159 next,with any colour of leather interior I can get a hold of without having to wait.
I don't care of it's the black,red,tan,natural or cream leather,doesn't matter.
The Carbonio black is one of the nicest colours Alfa offer - if you don't want the ubiquitous alfa red, then black is the one to go for.

MarcQuinlivan said:
The Carbonio black is one of the nicest colours Alfa offer - if you don't want the ubiquitous alfa red, then black is the one to go for.

That's the fella.
I was tempted by Alfa red,but I think I'd tire of it.
I quite like the 'natural' leather interior colour too.
I'd take the red leather interior too,but it is a bit 'brothel waiting room'.
Not that I've been in a brothel waiting room you understand.
It's just that's what I would IMAGINE they're like.
Yeah,that's it.

bowfer said:
That's the fella.
I was tempted by Alfa red,but I think I'd tire of it.
I quite like the 'natural' leather interior colour too.
I'd take the red leather interior too,but it is a bit 'brothel waiting room'.
Not that I've been in a brothel waiting room you understand.
It's just that's what I would IMAGINE they're like.
Yeah,that's it.
my brother has just bought a new spider in carbonio black. he's gone for the black interior too. it'll give a nice contrast to all the chrome\aluminium bits on it.

he had a 156 before that, and I tried to get him to come over to the dark side and buy a TT, but the force was too strong within him and another alfa bought did he.

It totally depends on the car and the shape of the car when deciding on colour, you can't just blanket say such and such a colour is shi*e.

For example the new S3 and TT looks excellent in silver, one of the best colours to show the shape off, but a Renault Clio, not really the same impact!

Very often car manufacturers do alot of research into this and the colours that are shown in the brochure and advertising are deemed the "industry" best for showing them off.