CAP Values? Really want to get rid for an audi a3!

uksingh1111

Reaction score
hi, does anyone have access to CAP values that would be prepared to estimate the value an independant dealer might give me for part exchange. ive been after an a3 for a while but just cant find one so i would like to know the part ex value because other wise ill end up just sticking it on private and go along with auto trader common values. if yes, then the car is a 2001 BMW X Reg 325ci (coupe) silver with about 70k on the clock, taxed just last month and mot not long ago either. thanks. :icon_thumright:

(industry standard - Glasses Guide - dealer will use this not cap)
retail value = £9965
trade value = £7875

based on the SE (you didnt mention trim level in thread)

cheers! out of curisority, how come CAP isnt used? i thought that was the industury standard??

A colleague of mine just recently bought (and sold,when he found out his girlfriend was pregnant) a 51 plate 318Ci,with very low mileage.
Topaz blue with nice cream leather interior in it.
Bought in London and sold in Aberdeen for just over £9K.
He could have sold it umpteen times over,such was the clamour when it was put in the local press.

uksingh1111 said:
cheers! out of curisority, how come CAP isnt used? i thought that was the industury standard??

CAP - Stands for Car Auction Price
CAP is the standard if buying and selling through auctions and is gives different prices depending on the condition of the vehicle.....i.e. good, average and below average also retail price.
GG is just Trade and Retail.
GG prices are normally a little more generous although some models do price better using CAP. (but not many)
(im a motor finance underwriter so use these all day long)

Dealers will use CAP on part exchanges when they know they can't really sell it on. For example, you're part-exchanging a Merc for an Audi; the dealer will have to send it to auction.

However, CAP stole a march on Glasses a few years back because they were first with the CAP ID, a unique number used in dealer's computers systems (often known as DMS, or Dealer Management System) to identify any derivative of car available in the UK. Glasses have a similar unique identifier but when I used to work for an IT consultancy that supplied computer systems to the motor trade, CAP ID was everywhere and all the major groups used it.

All I remember from it is that 13669 was a Ford Puma 1.7 :)

Diablo, noticed you live in Cardiff. You don't work for Black Horse or GMAC by any chance, do you?

Used to work for GMAC - well it was On:Line Finance when i first joined. It had moved from walton on thames to cardiff. Then GMAC had a 20% share of the business. A couple of years after that they vought the whoel thing. On:Line closed a few years ago but remained in Treforset (cardiff) under the name of gmac. did the underwriting for both.
Left there about 2.5 yrs ago. At a Place called Park finance now. Small finance company also in cardiff.
You know it ?

Have you seen the new 3 series coupe ?
Man,it's a lovely motor.
Not practical for me,but I'd have one in a shot if it was.
Beautiful in black with the right wheels.
Classy.

bowfer said:
Have you seen the new 3 series coupe ?
Man,it's a lovely motor.
Not practical for me,but I'd have one in a shot if it was.
Beautiful in black with the right wheels.
Classy.

Have you driven one?

I assume with the right wheels it would be chav?

normski said:
Have you driven one?

I assume with the right wheels it would be chav?

Nope,only the saloon.
Lovely looking motor though,the coupe.
With regard to the 'chav/wide boy' thing,I said wheels (within reason) don't count.
It's bodywork tacked onto standard cars that make a car look chav/wide-boy,IMO.
Flared arches/spoilers/skirts/wings etc.
No such unwelcome additions on the 320 coupe.

bowfer said:
Nope,only the saloon.
Lovely looking motor though,the coupe.
With regard to the 'chav/wide boy' thing,I said wheels (within reason) don't count.
It's bodywork tacked onto standard cars that make a car look chav/wide-boy,IMO.
Flared arches/spoilers/skirts/wings etc.
No such unwelcome additions on the 320 coupe.

Go on then bowf, tell me the 3 series coupe with the BMW aero kit and 19" 5 spokers on it looks chav and not a thing of beauty. (but so boring to drive IMHO)

normski said:
Go on then bowf, tell me the 3 series coupe with the BMW aero kit and 19" 5 spokers on it looks chav and not a thing of beauty. (but so boring to drive IMHO)

Show me a photo and I'll decide.
Does it look aggressive ?
If it looks aggressive,it's chav.

Aggressive = chav.

CHAV - abbreviation used by the police for 'Council House and Violent'
I.E.Aggressive.

Sorry,I'm not going to lie.
That 'aero kit' is awful.
Ruins the looks,even if it's not particularly aggressive.
However,the blue one is a nice colour (Topaz?) and the wheels would be fine if it weren't for the 'bolts' around the rim.

Nice car,if it were standard.
Nice wheels,if it weren't for the 'bolts'.
Nice colour.
What more do you want man ?
;-)

The tasty Ci I saw was black with 18 (maybe 19) versions of the BMW wheels on the grey one at the bottom.
Made me look twice,really nice looking motor.

DIABLO636 said:
Used to work for GMAC - well it was On:Line Finance when i first joined. It had moved from walton on thames to cardiff. Then GMAC had a 20% share of the business. A couple of years after that they vought the whoel thing. On:Line closed a few years ago but remained in Treforset (cardiff) under the name of gmac. did the underwriting for both.
Left there about 2.5 yrs ago. At a Place called Park finance now. Small finance company also in cardiff.
You know it ?
I knew people at both On:Line and GMAC. The company I worked for wrote an automated proposal interface between Carland (now Carcraft!) and yourselves. We started with the AGHP interface to Pos D (which used to transfer proposal files via FTP), and then a full proposal system using a .NET system.

Used to work with a really great guy called Mike Hole, although I know he left about three years ago as well to go some place else.

Visited the new Treforset site though. Really liked the web café and the way you could look out over that massive balcony on to the underwriting floor! Impressive stuff.

benw123 said:
I knew people at both On:Line and GMAC. The company I worked for wrote an automated proposal interface between Carland (now Carcraft!) and yourselves. We started with the AGHP interface to Pos D (which used to transfer proposal files via FTP), and then a full proposal system using a .NET system.

Used to work with a really great guy called Mike Hole, although I know he left about three years ago as well to go some place else.

Visited the new Treforset site though. Really liked the web café and the way you could look out over that massive balcony on to the underwriting floor! Impressive stuff.

In that case you probably saw me skiving there at the time....lol.

Yes...i remember Mike, really good guy. Most of the IT guys were really good there. Funnily enough im meeting up with one of them next week to have a few beers and catch up.
Carland.....what a pain in the ***. Carcraft too. Dodgy as hell,,,,both as bad as each other. Very fitting that they merged. I was the senior underwriter for carcraft for 2 years. Im sure im going to hell for all the crap deals i ended up doing for them.
I really enjoyed working there but as they started to scale down the On:line side of things and the big GMAC side took over it started to lose its appeal. I was approached to move. More money, less hours, closer to home etc.....couldnt say no...like a lot of people, Mike Hole included i guess.

What a small world. the interface between us and carland was very efficent and reliable if i rememeber correctly so guess you did a fine job.

DIABLO636 said:
In that case you probably saw me skiving there at the time....lol.

Yes...i remember Mike, really good guy. Most of the IT guys were really good there. Funnily enough im meeting up with one of them next week to have a few beers and catch up.
Carland.....what a pain in the ***. Carcraft too. Dodgy as hell,,,,both as bad as each other. Very fitting that they merged. I was the senior underwriter for carcraft for 2 years. Im sure im going to hell for all the crap deals i ended up doing for them.
I really enjoyed working there but as they started to scale down the On:line side of things and the big GMAC side took over it started to lose its appeal. I was approached to move. More money, less hours, closer to home etc.....couldnt say no...like a lot of people, Mike Hole included i guess.
I think Carland's approach was to offer finance to just about anyone really. I recall one of their finance team saying that if a customer was prepared to pay for HP at 30% APR then "they must be good for finance". I spent a couple of Saturdays with them while proving the interface and wow, talk about an eye-opener.

DIABLO636 said:
What a small world. the interface between us and carland was very efficent and reliable if i rememeber correctly so guess you did a fine job.
I think you guys had the better end of the deal really, because if the proposal didn't arrive then you were none the wiser, but we did spent a lot of time with Carland trying to iron out loads of bugs.

And now Carcraft have taken over, everything we spent years working on was wiped out - they have their own systems and staff nowadays.

Happy times though! :)