Armrest Cupholders

B

Boydie

hey guys - just noticed this on another site

armrest1.jpg

the guys says its for A4 only but does anyone have this in their A3? i dont use my armrest apart from the obvious but having extra spots for drinks would be handy!

the cup holder is around £28 i think

Boydie said:

the guys says its for A4 only but does anyone have this in their A3? i dont use my armrest apart from the obvious but having extra spots for drinks would be handy!

as fair as i know it is the same armrest in the A3 and A4. it doesn't really provide you with extra spots for drinks though, because in the A3 the original cup holders are under the armrest, so if you install this then you still only have two cup holders, and are still unable to use the armrest while the cupholders are occupied.

Boydie said:

[URL="http://www.mikeshardware.com/reviews/audi/armrest1.jpg"][/URL]

as fair as i know it is the same armrest in the A3 and A4. it doesn't really provide you with extra spots for drinks though, because in the A3 the original cup holders are under the armrest, so if you install this then you still only have two cup holders, and are still unable to use the armrest while the cupholders are occupied. In addition to that, you can no longer use the armrest to store stuff - sunglasses, phone or whatever - and cubby space in the A3 is limited enough as it is

A good spot, and I would definitely be interested in this, however will it fit in the arms rest when you have the GSM phone prep in there too?

It's definately a different armrest in the A3 and A4.

The A4 one has illumination and is a different size & shape.

cant use the armrest if there is something in there - i have a cup holder anyway on the dash but i drink lots and lots of water so the more places to store your drinks the better

I enquired about this with the parts dept at the local dealers when I retrofitted my front armrest and they stated it was not for the A/S3.

theres our answer - thanks sam!

anyways i plan to make a custom holder for my ipod in the armrest at some point - something neat and tidy :D

I scoffed at paying over £20 for a plastic cupholder for the arm rest. Found the cardboard cupholders they give you in KFC / McDonalds fit perfectly inside the armrest and hold things a treat. A bit pikey but it works!

i reckon that youd soon knock the lid off the armrest with your elbow, so not worth the risk

vegas said:
I scoffed at paying over £20 for a plastic cupholder for the arm rest. Found the cardboard cupholders they give you in KFC / McDonalds fit perfectly inside the armrest and hold things a treat. A bit pikey but it works!
I've found that the cup holders that are under the slidey panel thing under the armrest are perfectly sized to hold a large McDonalds beverage and one of those Ice Cream Sundae things they do.

Why would anybody bother with installing two cup holders in the armrest when they already have two under it?

...and anyway, all the people who have ever tried to eat or drink in my car are buried under the patio.

rich1068 said:
...and anyway, all the people who have ever tried to eat or drink in my car are buried under the patio.

Nobody eats in my car either, however the cupholders are handy for holding the drink and ice-cream while driving home to eat my McDonalds meal on the rare occasion where I don't have time to stop and eat in McDonalds.

When we went on our Hebrides road trip I managed to avoid anyone eating in the car in nearly 800 miles. On the way back to Edinburgh I had to stop for fuel and one of the passengers popped into the shop to get something to eat. Now Charlie is a good friend and I'd do anything for him but an egg sandwich and a pint of milk? Friendship has it's limits.

Funnily enough, when we eventually got home after four days in the car with another couple my wife turned to me, put her hand on my arm and said 'And you've been really good about the car.' Bless her. Still spent the whole of the following weekend cleaning it though.

They'd even touched the windows!!