bad vibes

steve184

Reaction score
I've just noticed that with certain music - usually quite bassy music where you might get to a certain part where its just a baseline with little or no other frequencies - i can hear vibrations after each beat. Seems to come from both front A pillars although it seems worse from the passenger one. Is this normal? Anyone else found this in their car?

So much for BOSE being 'specifically tuned to the A3's interior'!

cheers

I've also had this in mine, though only from the passenger side. It does it with certain engine revs too.

In my case, it is due to the glove box lid buzzing. Try opening then waggling the glove box lid. If you get a creaking sound, this could be some of the cause. I have found that a squirt of WD40 on the lid hinges will cure it for a while.

well i've worked out whats going on... its in the A-pillar and it only happens when the door is closed, ie, when the vibration from the BOSE speaker is allowed to transfer into the A-pillar - so don't know how much a job this will be for the monkeys at audi to sort??? Is it a major job to get behind the A-pillar panel? Seems pretty firmly fixed on to me - i'm guessin theres gotta be some wires or something behind there which are vibrating with the music its driving me crazy and i dont expect it on a £27k car

Guys,

When you are pumping out good bass lines if there is any slightly lose component it will rattle. The problem is that the sub woofer for the bose system is on the passenger side within the boot area, therefore more air movement and increased resonance throughout those panels. It is really annoying and can take ages to find. Its not a fault of the BOSE suiting the A3, its a lose wire, panel or something vibrating hence why in some cases it still does it at high engine revs.

Accepted. Never said it was a fault of BOSE - at the end of the day to get sound you need vibration (speakers) but its no good if the nice sound is spoilt by vibrating wires under trim or whatever. I'm almost 100% sure in my case its something inside the passenger A-pillar as like i say if i open the passenger door it dissappears and if it were in the door it would carry on. I did this by isolating the rest of the speakers so all sound was just from left front (in door) and i tell you even those door speakers wack out a fair bit of bass.

So as i said i'm not sure how hard it is to get into the a-pillar (without damaging anything) and getting this sorted... can just see some 16 year old trainee at audi now ramming a greasy old screwdriver in there and ripping it off!!!!

LOL.....

In my previous experiences of installing stereo systems the A posts have been fairly easy to pop off, you normally have to remove the bottom trim first though.... I'll have a butchers at my motor tonight and see if I can figure it out.