How do you get a 2.0 TDI DSG off the line quickly

It's all academic anyway due to DSG...........................delay
Pre-launch control,obviously.

bowfer said:
They must have,coz it used to be something like a claimed 8.7 for my car.
Certainly not as high as 9.5,that's for sure.
Moving the goalposts to make the 140 look bad and the 170 look better ???
Hmmm...

I seem to recall it being something like 8.7 when I bought mine in 2005. But Davids figures say something different. Perhaps it was the figure from Audi driver or something.

J.

The latest Audi Driver mag has a test on an A3 Sportback 2.0TDI-140 S-tronic S Line and they given a 0-60mph (as opposed to the Audi 0-62mph) figure on 8.2secs.

They also give the figures from some earlier test of other models in the same report:

Decemeber 2004 - A3 Sportback 2.0TDI-140 Manual - 0-60mph 7.8 secs

April 2004 - A3 3-door 2.0TDI-140 Manual - 0-60mph 8.6secs

Next months Audi Driver has a test on a 170PS version so it will be interesting to see what 0-60mph figures the get for that.

h5djr said:
The latest Audi Driver mag has a test on an A3 Sportback 2.0TDI-140 S-tronic S Line and they given a 0-60mph (as opposed to the Audi 0-62mph) figure on 8.2secs.

They also give the figures from some earlier test of other models in the same report:

Decemeber 2004 - A3 Sportback 2.0TDI-140 Manual - 0-60mph 7.8 secs

April 2004 - A3 3-door 2.0TDI-140 Manual - 0-60mph 8.6secs

Next months Audi Driver has a test on a 170PS version so it will be interesting to see what 0-60mph figures the get for that.

I wonder how they time it ?
Without launch control there is a tangible DSG delay between flooring the throttle and the car rolling.
Certainly a few hundredths of a second,easily.
So I wonder if they time the car from the point at which the throttle is pressed,or the point at which the wheels actually start moving ???

I wonder how they time it ?
Without launch control there is a tangible DSG delay between flooring the throttle and the car rolling.
Certainly a few hundredths of a second,easily.
So I wonder if they time the car from the point at which the throttle is pressed,or the point at which the wheels actually start moving ???

An interesting (almost philosophical) point! Logically a 0-60 time must begin from the instant before the car is observed to move (ie the latest point at which speed = zero). On that basis, the DSG delay is irrelevant as, indeed, is the inevitable tho much much shorter delay between the driver of a manual engaging the clutch (with throttle already open) and the car actually moving. It can't really be instant even in a manual as the friction has to build up and the tolerances in the gear train take up and the tyre walls flex (etc) before the car actually moves.

No doubt Audi adopts the logical approach! Which just happens to serve its marketing aims too, of course:ohmy:

For what it's worth, I sprint & hillclimb a car for fun, having had a 140 DSG whilst I found it relaxing to drive day to day I found it almost dangerous when needing a quick getaway.

Rownasbank is correct, the timing must be from when the car starts rolling, as I'm damn sure I can get to 60 quicker with a manual box from a particular starting time & not a starting point.

Having also had a chipped Golf 150 (186) and now having a standard A3 (170 manual) I can help with those fast getaways. If you hold the car on the footbrake and toe/heal the throttle to bring the revs up the electronics override the throttle and keep the revs down, you can over-ride this by left foot braking in neutral, blipping the throttle as if you were impatient and it seems to cancel the over-ride situation, now you can toe/heal and hold the brake, bring the revs to wherever you prefer and with esp off do whatever you like. For DSG, sorry never did work out if you could 'beat the system'

what *****! a 140tdi manual (standard) is never gonna do 0-60 in 7.8 if audi claims about 9.3??? if it did why would audi put a slower time down

I would agree with Steve184, 7.8 seconds does sound a little optimistic, maybe they were testing on a slight hill with the wind behind them and forgot to mention the chip upgrade :noway: :noway:

My own measured 0-60 time for the 140 was about 8.6 seconds.
Resonably impressive but,as I said before,it's been deliberately designed to be impressive by Audi,through their choice of 1,2,3 gearing.
The car takes another milk-float like 17 seconds to get from 60-100mph.

In which case.....next time go for the manual 170 version, you know it makes sense.

Detector said:
In which case.....next time go for the manual 170 version, you know it makes sense.

Won't have another Audi.
170 engine was a possibility in a Passat,but too many issues with DPF being mentioned on here.

too be honest you are not going to find much difference i suspect between equivalant avw/audi models, ie passat is very much the same as an A4 - a lot of the ingrediants are the same so if you dont like those ingredients in an audi you are not going to like them in a vw

steve184 said:
too be honest you are not going to find much difference i suspect between equivalant avw/audi models, ie passat is very much the same as an A4 - a lot of the ingrediants are the same so if you dont like those ingredients in an audi you are not going to like them in a vw

That's why I like the Passat though.
I liked my A4,but I wouldn't buy a new one because they're too dear and the interior is dull.
So the Passat is the 'best of all worlds'.
Drives like an A4,better interior and cheaper !

I know there's a new A4 due,but it won't be available when I renew (end '07 / start '08).

Audi is definitely out,coz they simply don't offer as much for the money as the competition.
For example,the budget I have will get me several cars with leather and cruise as standard.
No chance of that with an Audi !

Before I bought my last A3 I tried a Passat & was very dissapointed, like driving a tank, tried the A3 & just felt at home, hardly surprising really since I've had many Golfs.

The tractor like sound doesn't seem to affect performance (but maybe economy) and I'm sure they will find a fix as it apears on all 170 versions from what I can tell & with all this going on they will be very aware of what people think.

Detector said:
Before I bought my last A3 I tried a Passat & was very dissapointed, like driving a tank, tried the A3 & just felt at home, hardly surprising really since I've had many Golfs.

The flip side of the coin,for me,is that I've always felt the A3 lacks the build quality,refinement and 'solidity' that the A4 offers.

Point taken, I suppose a larger car would give that impression

Just as an aside, I was speaking to one of the guys that I race with and he's just finished his latest project.

Standard A4 saloon shell stripped out, late RS4 engine, balanced, lightened, special cams, gas-flowed, twin turbo, he's currently running it in Midlands Hillclimb Championship, looks like a German touring car, around 650bhp with lots more to come.

I saw him testing a few weeks ago......oh my, what a sound and spectacle, not sure what his 0-60ft was but I would guess 1.9 secs ish (they measure the first 60ft in sprinting and hillclimbing to check off-line performance) that means he's pulling over 1G, that'll be faster than an F1 with it's 2 wheel drive

Is the DPF problem being acknowledged by VAG ????
If I thought it was,the 170 Passat may stay on the list.