DSG Sport mode

steve184

Reaction score
Whats the point of it? I don't see much/very little difference between the normal drive mode to be honest. If you floor it in D the engine still revs to the redline in each gear?????

I find that in D the gearbox is too sensitive to change down when you squeeze the loud pedal to go a bit faster rather than just using the torque of the engine in the gear its in - i think D should be less eager to change down when accelerating lightly and sport should be where it changes down more eagerly to give a more spritely (and less fuel efficient) getaway.

Anyone else find this?

On my TDI170 I find when I pop it into 'S' from 'D', it instantly changes down a gear and hoovers around the turbo kick-in rpm region.

Makes it much more responsive, and I find 'S' much more aggressive from plain old fashioned 'D'.

But, I agree with you. Make 'D' a little less naughty sometimes.

Be honest ive not used s much bt the few times i have used it - not seen much difference - maybe i need to use it a bit more to see the difference, as i say i just think in D (especially on the diesels) it shouldnt be so keen to kick down (without pressing the kickdown switch) to a lower gear when all you want to do is increase your speed a little by say 10mph

I hardly ever use D or S, generally using tip-tronic mode most of the time. When I have tried them I find that D changes up at too lower revs for me. At least S stays in the same gear for much longer.

One of the big problems I had with the system when I test drove it was that D changes up too early and, when you accelerate, it's far too keen to change down. S, on the other hand, seems to hold a gear lower than D would in most situations, thus knackering your fuel economy.

These were contributary factors in my decision to go with a manual. Yes I could use the paddles and change gear myself but the remaining advantages (and disadvantages) didn't warrant a £1400 outlay for me personally.

If find that the 'S' mode holds on to the gear too long, on a petrol it might be fine to hold onto the current gear to the limiter but on a diesel the power has already run out well before then anyway, needs to change up earlier and use the torque to accelerate. Or i ned to get bluefin's o i dont run out of steam so early in the rev range.......

RobinA3 --- off topic but what % are your tints.....or is it just light - medium ? also is the rear windscreen darker ?

(and dsg are not for girls....they are for lazy sods like me.....)

yeh well guess all the world rally drivers and formula one drivers all all girls then... since none of them use 'a stick'

steve184 said:
yeh well guess all the world rally drivers and formula one drivers all all girls then... since none of them use 'a stick'

Now you've got me started...
Actually,many of them still use a stick rather than paddles.
In rallies anyway,as paddles would get caught up in the wheel-twirling.
Anyhoo,there are massive differences between the way their boxes perform compared with DSG.
They can decide when they change up,for example.
The gearbox doesn't over-ride them if it thinks they're being a bit naughty.
In other words,their gearboxes behave like clutchless manuals.
Not automatics that let you 'play a bit' at being manual.

If,when buying my car,DSG were billed truthfully (i.e.an auto that lets you play at manual within pre-defined limits) I'd have thought twice.
It wasn't though,it was billed as a clutchless manual box with the benefit of auto mode.

With regard to S mode,I never ever use it either.
I tend to use D,using the paddles to over-ride it when it reacts too slowly.

DSG's flaws and inconsistencies still makes me swear,every journey,every day.

With regard to S mode,I never ever use it either.
I tend to use D,using the paddles to over-ride it when it reacts too slowly.
I have only tried S mode once and could see no point to it. If you want to determine which gear and when (subject to the limitations Bowfer refers to, of course) then either the paddles or the stick will do it. Personally I use the stick as I can't remember which paddle does which (too old a dog to learn new tricks) and it doesn't default to D soon enough.
OK, so I confess,I am a boring old fort.:sadlike:

rowansbank said:
it doesn't default to D soon enough.

I just quickly shift the stick from D to 'manual' (cough..) and back to D again to 'force' it back into D.

I just quickly shift the stick from D to 'manual' (cough..) and back to D again to 'force' it back into D.

Yes thats what I do too - I was referring to the paddles where it just stays in the last gear selected for about 2 minutes before defaulting to D, which is why I use the stick.

Not just a BOF but really rather girly too it would seem!:faint:

Never driven a DSG car. But clearly, people want slightly different things from it. People have been complaining about it for years on the TT forum, and its probably one of most argued topics.

Audi should make it customisable via the DIS system. That way, diesel owners could tweak the change-up point down some revs. Petrol owners could keep it high. How many degrees of throttle before change-down etc.

I bet parameters like that are already in the system, but just not accessible. Anyone checked via VAG-COM?

AL

My DSG really is getting rough,at 26K miles.
Comments like "oof" and "****** hell" from passengers when the transmission bangs into action.
Sod all I can do about it,I'm only pressing the throttle !
When's the fluid due a change and how much is it ?
The car's away at the end of the year,so I'll avoid the expense if I can.
Make it someone else's problem.

AL_B said:
I bet parameters like that are already in the system, but just not accessible. Anyone checked via VAG-COM?AL

Pretty sure the most annoying part for me (the auto-change up at high revs,even in manual mode) isn't changeable.
I was willing to pay someone to do it at one point,but not with only 8 months ownership left.

I drop it from D to S when I'm following a car waiting for an opportunity to overtake. That way, the revs are already up and the turbo is spinning when I floor it and need the instant acceleration to pull out & pass....

Works fine for me. I've also used it approaching roundabouts, to avoid that "oh sh1t" moment when the DSG pauses in the wrong gear just as you want to pull onto the roundabout and boot it from slow speed to get into a gap....

My DSG really is getting rough,at 26K miles.
Comments like "oof" and "****** hell" from passengers when the transmission bangs into action.
Sod all I can do about it,I'm only pressing the throttle !
When's the fluid due a change and how much is it ?
The car's away at the end of the year,so I'll avoid the expense if I can.
Make it someone else's problem.

The DSG oil change is due at 40k and my dealer quoted around £180. I traded in my 140 at 36k so I never did have it done but my DSG felt as good at 36k as it did when I collected it.