Fitting instructions for official Audi iPod adaptor

Fleagle

Reaction score
Hi all. My first post, and feel free to move to ICE section if more relevant.

I bought an A3 a few months with iPod adaptor. Didn't have an iPod at the time but the car was taken from national stock and it was already factory fitted as part of the spec.

I've just got round to picking up a 2G Nano but now realised that only first gen is supported by the adaptor. Neither my dealer or Audi customer services have any idea if or when 2G will be supported, although I read on a previous post in this forum that end of July is possible.

I therefore intend to remove the plastic iPod compartment from the glovebox and see if I can use the lead loose. Does anyone have any advice or exploded diagrams on removing/fitting the factory chassis. I don't want to rewire the stereo - just free up the cable that is already wired up. There are two screws at the back of the compartment but it looks like these just secure the cable to the chassis, rather than the chassis to the glovebox.

Any advice greatly appreciated, and photos will follow if I manage to successfully find an intermediate solution to the Nano 2G fiasco!

Many thanks, Dave

Fleagle said:
Hi all. My first post, and feel free to move to ICE section if more relevant.

I bought an A3 a few months with iPod adaptor. Didn't have an iPod at the time but the car was taken from national stock and it was already factory fitted as part of the spec.

I've just got round to picking up a 2G Nano but now realised that only first gen is supported by the adaptor. Neither my dealer or Audi customer services have any idea if or when 2G will be supported, although I read on a previous post in this forum that end of July is possible.

I therefore intend to remove the plastic iPod compartment from the glovebox and see if I can use the lead loose. Does anyone have any advice or exploded diagrams on removing/fitting the factory chassis. I don't want to rewire the stereo - just free up the cable that is already wired up. There are two screws at the back of the compartment but it looks like these just secure the cable to the chassis, rather than the chassis to the glovebox.

Any advice greatly appreciated, and photos will follow if I manage to successfully find an intermediate solution to the Nano 2G fiasco!

Many thanks, Dave
there should be four different inserts for the iPod adapter in the glovebox. They are interchangeable and will allow you to use 1G or 2G devices. As far as I know it says so in the radio handbook.

Thanks for the reply Marc. A number of different adaptors were supplied with the car, but the Nano adaptor doesn't support 2G Nanos - only first gen. The Audi iPod supplement states all generations are supported but this is definitely not correct.

Audi reckons new adaptors are on the way but have no idea on timescales. Apple changed the interface slightly meaning the Nano adaptor is a couple of mm out of line.

Regards, Dave

Just remove which ever adaptor plate is currently in it, my 2G Nano fits fine without any adaptor.

Audi have confirmed that the adapter for the Nano G2 will be available to order towards the end of June.

HTH

...nearly a year after the 2G model was put on sale <sigh>

To anyone who's interested, I dropped the glovebox out earlier today but it's not possible to connect an iPod without the adaptor. The iPod connector is fitted to a PCB rather than a loose lead. In answer to my original question - the unit clips in with 4 plastic tabs from behind so you really need to remove the glove box to remove the iPod unit.

Oh well, I'll just have to carry on waiting for the 2G Nano adaptor

:mad:

you'll have a long wait.... it was originally supposed to be out in Jan... then Feb... then Mar... latest outlook is now July, but man on the inside says it's unlikely...

Complain to Customer Services, it's not acceptable. You might just be suprised by their response...

I hear what everybody is saying regarding the currently non exsistant 2G nano adapter but I have used my 2g nano in lots of different Audi's with the factory fitted kit. As I stated earlier just remove the adapter (eg. one of the adapter's for the different type's of IPOD) and it slips in. Admittedly it is not held snuggly and sort of hovers in the middle of space where it sits but it works without any problems.

iPod adaption is total utter *****!

I have it in my RS4 and it's so bad it's almost funny.

sputnik said:
I hear what everybody is saying regarding the currently non exsistant 2G nano adapter but I have used my 2g nano in lots of different Audi's with the factory fitted kit. As I stated earlier just remove the adapter (eg. one of the adapter's for the different type's of IPOD) and it slips in. Admittedly it is not held snuggly and sort of hovers in the middle of space where it sits but it works without any problems.

I tried that - it kept disconnecting when I went over bumps.

Plus can't be very good for the connector - it's not designed to hold the ipod on it's own without any support...

Just bodged a temporary solution out of some foam packaging material. Guess it will have to do until Audi pull their finger out.

mitch78 said:
It might seem like a silly question, but how do you get the glovebox out? Planning to fit my own iPod dock sometime in the week, but I've not checked how it's held in yet.

the following is a guide for fitting a PhatNoise Jukebox in an A3, but there is a bit about half way down which goes through the steps for removing the glovebox. putting it back on is obviously the reverse!

http://www.a3phatnoise.quinlivan.net/

Holy thread resurrection batman!

TBH, I'd forget about the iPod link and retrofit an RNS-E. You'll get all the navigation goodness plus you can slap a couple of 4GB SD cards in there (dirt cheap these days) for much much better MP3 functionality.

mitch78 said:
It might seem like a silly question, but how do you get the glovebox out? Planning to fit my own iPod dock sometime in the week, but I've not checked how it's held in yet.

You're welcome to come down to the batcave (wearing a blindfold!) and see how mine works, then you might not be too keen to go down that route but stick to SD cards. But I guess it's horses for courses....

Regards, John.

Does anyone know whether they have finaly released the adaptor for nano 2g yet, and if so what the part number is? My car has just been for its service, so I asked the dealer whether an adaptor existed. I was told that there was a revision B available (i.e. 1K0 868 003 B) but would cost me £8 for the priviledge. So after a brief call top Audi UK, and my original dealer I'm told that it defintely doesn't exist.

So to cut a long story short, I've now got one on order from the original dealer.
If anyone has had any similar experience to this please let me know.

Thanks