Buying New - any advice please

RGS3

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've had my 8L '03 S3 for nearly 3 years now and love it to bits. I'm feeling its time to change and I also feel like the current S3 power is a bit hit and miss at times these days (REVO mapped) so I've been pondering over a new 8P S3, or a 3.2 S-line. A 2nd hand S4 is probably in the same price bracket but I'm not sure about the mpg side of things there.

So, I started looking at the S3 with my options (Silver, Sat Nav, Light Pack, ipod console and a couple of others). It comes to around £31k !!!

Having never bought a brand new car before and nothing anywhere near this expensive I find it a bit scary and was just after some advice/pointers from any recent new owners (not just S3 owners).

Is it worth going for a brand new motor when there are a few ex-demo S3's beginning to appear ? Only seen one Silver model but thought maybe I could live with black or dolphin (same as current car). I might not get the extra's options I want but I could get the main ones already on. Prices on Audi.co.uk Used S3's dont seem much different to a new one !!

Is there a load of extra ££'s on the ROTR price on a new Audi that is not shown ? Is the ROTR I see on the audi (coonfigure your own) site pretty much what I'd expect to pay (can I get for much less ? or will there be big add-ons ?) I guess there's not much margin to haggle on the S3 price.

Are there any benefits buying brand new vs ex-demo ? Like anyone else, as soon as I put my money down I will want the car asap. Not sure I can wait the 3 months or so for it to arrive. I'd be scared to death of something happening to my p/x during that time.

I will want to be p/x'ing my current S3 ('03 40k) towards this new one. How does that work ? Will they offer me a cr@p px value because it would still be a few months off before the deal is complete ?? Ideally I'd be wanting around 12-13k for mine. Any advice here ? Should I threaten to walk away for the sake of say £500 on the p/x ? I'm not sure how flexible they'll be to give me a break.

At what point does the final balance get paid ? When it arrives ?

Any advice on PCP vs buying outright ? I'm thinking of using my part ex with some cash and a bank loan (6-7k) to pay for the new car. Bit of a sensitive subject and I dont mean to be nosey but how did you guys finance yours ?

Many thanks in advance for any advice. I'm having trouble sleeping - too many S3 thoughts racing around my mind :)

I'm also seriously considering buying a new S3, but have never bought a new car before. RGS3 seems to have asked most of the questons i would ask, so can anyone give us some advice please? :)

As far as I'm aware the S3 allocation is exhausted at present - worth asking a dealer when new orders are likely to arrive - this will set your expectiation straight away. Anyone correct me if i'm wrong!!

If I we're in your shoes I'd try and get a new one - the demo's are likely to have had some hard miles under their belts and are likely to have gone through car washes etc, etc so paint my not be in the best condition. The prices they are asking for demo's is madness, you're right they are not much lower than brand new cars - you may haggle for a better deal though?

I got a 3% discount when I ordered mine in November, which was good then, seemed to be one of the first discounts people had heard of on the new S3. I'd expect you to be able to get maybe 5-6% now. They'll probably tell you they can't or there is so much demand, if they do, call the next garage and try your luck with them! Someone will want the sale bad enough and at the end of the day, where you get the car from is irrelevent! Spending some time shopping around could save you £500 or more! Mine came from Gloucester and I'm in London so they dropped it off to me on the back of a covered lorry - their pre delivery prep was also spot on with not a swirl or cobweb in the paint which I was very pleased about.

I actually went through a PCP scheme (www.freewaycars.co.uk) and find it a useful way to have a car instead of a company car. However, I've put minimal deposit down and pay what I would have paid for my company car making my final payment quite low - ideal for me as I intend to sell the car straight after. The scheme I'm on also covers all maintenance - so the car has Audi assist for 3 years which covers all breakdown, all servicing is covered, all wear and tear is covered (tyres, exhaust, brakes, wiper blades, fluids etc) and tax every year is covered. The car is registered in my name.

Some people have said you can get a craking deal through lombard so maybe worth speaking to them.

Just my thoughts, hope they help!

Oh no - we saying I might not be able to get a shiney new S3 for a long-long time now then perhaps ? :-(

Might be looking at a 3.2 S-line perhaps, only they just dont seem to look as special as the S3 (8L or 8P) on paper. May need to go and have a better look perhaps.

A pre-enjoyed S4 might come back into the equation now.

I'd got my heart set on S3 now though.

My dealer still says you can order S3's with the usual wait.

It's one of those cars that at the moment is as wise to buy it new because the used prices are crazy.

If you put the S3 and the 3.2 side by side on price, the S3 is so much better value for money, I am sure that doesn' need explaining. Just depends if the thousands of pounds more spec for hardly anymore cash, plus better performance, residuals, fuel economy, handling etc. etc. etc. are worth the extra wait if there is an availability problem.

Would be for me, maybe not for you.

You're right normski, it is worth the extra wait for the S3 I agree. Thinks I need to be a bit more patient to make sure I'm 100% happy with what I end up with for all that cash. When I saw the price difference on S3 & 3.2 I agree there's not much in it for what appears to be a much more sporty looking car. From what i've read recently from new S3 owners I wouldnt be disappointed.

PS - I'm also following Garthy's thread re "2008 spec" cos thats got me thinking about maybe not rushing in also.

Don't spec sat nav and save yourself over 2k and do what many of us have done on this forum and retro fit it. I got a 2006 unit in pristine condition for £450 quid!

Ipod console can be added later when you have some more money saved up which will lower the overall cost, plus the sat nav has 2 SD card slots so you can put 8GB of music on there while you wait for the ipod console.

I ordered two weeks ago. :)

New car cost is £31.8K list (sprint blue with lots of toys: sat nav, BOSE, 6 cd changer, armrest, flat bottom wheel, lumbar, light & rain pack, dimming & folding mirrors, parking sensors)

I managed to get an overnight test drive from them, that sealed it for me if the deal was good enough...

Managed to beat them down to a price of £30.3K (just under 5% discount). Took a good 2-3hours sat in the showroom on a Saturday afternoon.

I'm going to Part Ex my '02 S3 with just over 30K miles on it.
Got a price of £10800. :sorry:
Someone else on here has said factor in £3K for the dealer to put it back on the forecourt. Looking on the Audi used cars site models around my age were £14K - so not as good as I'd hoped but in line with the trade-in+£3K factor.

Financing mine through a personal loan. Got that arranged in time to avoid the interest rate increase that's almost inevitable next month. Also the loan has a 3month payment holiday.

Still waiting for a build date from the dealer.

Mine cost 28.8k from the dealer with the options below minus the sat nav, bluetooth and front arm rest which I have added myself.

Got 13.5k from the dealer for my 03 8L S3 with 32k on the clock.

If you want to save some money don't part ex your car. Sell it on pistonheads.

I did just that with me and sold within a day. £1500 quid more than the dealer offered.

RGS3 said:
PS - I'm also following Garthy's thread re "2008 spec" cos thats got me thinking about maybe not rushing in also.

Audi CS and Audi HQ sales have both assued me that there will be no spec changes to the S3 this year. I have it in writing.

Like I've said before they are not going to change a top of the line car thats only been available for 4 months are they?

JamS3 said:
Piano inserts set it off from the "norm" you have chosen right!

I've them on mine, it is true they are different but the slightest breeze will scratch them... hence the advice...

Pedro

JamS3 said:
Mine cost 28.8k from the dealer with the options below minus the sat nav, bluetooth and front arm rest which I have added myself.

JamS3,

How much for the Bluetooth retro-fit? DIY job, or did someone do it for you?
Could be interested in that just to finish it off. The dealer claimed he knew a local firm that would do it for £500.

Forgot the interior light pack from my list above.

I heard meguires scratch x sorts this but never tried it.

Personally I wwould spec it every time seeing as though its free and makes the interior look different to s line along with a "classier" look.

Everyone used to comment how nice the piano black used to look in my previous 8L S3's.

i personally think the medial alluminium inlays are better than the normal ally ones as they have a nicer finish to them - the ally inlays feel quite rough and 'unfinished' is all i can describe it, the medial alluminium is nice

marshalld said:
JamS3,

How much for the Bluetooth retro-fit? DIY job, or did someone do it for you?
Could be interested in that just to finish it off. The dealer claimed he knew a local firm that would do it for £500.

Forgot the interior light pack from my list above.

£350 for DIY job, £399 for it fitted. Contact Craigyb on this forum he has done loads and is a top bloke. Knows exactly what he is doing as it needs coding to the car with vagcom.

JamS3 said:
£350 for DIY job, £399 for it fitted. Contact Craigyb on this forum he has done loads and is a top bloke. Knows exactly what he is doing as it needs coding to the car with vagcom.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but the Audi website has bluetooth at £385 for the S3 as an option, so why pay £399? :confused:

Also if i do get an S3, i hopefully i will :) , then there is no way i would pay £2k for satnav when i can fit it myself for less than £600.

But i do have one question, in order to retro fit the unit, do you have to spec the Audi Symphony audio system, listed as a £265 option, or can the standard stereo (whatever that is) be swapped for the sat nav unit? I think the standard stereo is double-din so that shouldnt be an issue. :think:

JamS3 said:

Got 13.5k from the dealer for my 03 8L S3 with 32k on the clock.

JamS3 - you retrofitted blue tooth - can you tell me more about this as I'm kicking my self for not speccing it. I can't get a cradle to hold in the airvent - stupidly thought i'd be fine with a simple cradle adn a bluetooth earpiece!!!!

Cheers mate

JamS3 said:
Piano inserts set it off from the "norm" you have chosen right!

Agree - people have complained they scratch easily - not noticed this on mine adn much prefer them to the ali inserts.

IH786 said:
Correct me if i'm wrong, but the Audi website has bluetooth at £385 for the S3 as an option, so why pay £399? :confused:

Also if i do get an S3, i hopefully i will :) , then there is no way i would pay £2k for satnav when i can fit it myself for less than £600.

But i do have one question, in order to retro fit the unit, do you have to spec the Audi Symphony audio system, listed as a £265 option, or can the standard stereo (whatever that is) be swapped for the sat nav unit? I think the standard stereo is double-din so that shouldnt be an issue. :think:

You just need the standard concert as it is now a double din unit like the new syphony.

If you aren't an IPOD man, it's worth speccing the CD changer too, because the RSN-E needs the DVD in to navigate...though as JamS3 always states, you can just use a couple of mem cards for your tunes.

jamiekip said:
JamS3 - you retrofitted blue tooth - can you tell me more about this as I'm kicking my self for not speccing it. I can't get a cradle to hold in the airvent - stupidly thought i'd be fine with a simple cradle adn a bluetooth earpiece!!!!

Cheers mate

Can't you just use a Parrot kit? Much cheaper and, from the reports I've heard, they're very good. Uses the ISO connectors on the stereo so the sound comes through the car's speakers.

IH786 said:

Think you might be wrong. :think: The GSM mobile phone prep for the A/S3 makes no mention of Bluetooth.

If you configure a Q7, the mobile phone preps explicitly state Bluetooth, it costs £650, and you need to spec the 'MMI high' package (or Sat Nav).

The Q7 option description states:
"Bluetooth mobile phone connection

- operated via the optional MMI High system and integrated telephone voice-control system, including roof-mounted aerial for optimal reception. Must be combined with MMI High (price quoted does not include this item). Please note that your mobile must have Bluetooth SIM-Access Profile facility"

So i think the retrofit is the fitting of the Bluetooth module into the Sat Nav - an option not available as standard on the A/S3 range.

Unless of course I'm talking out of my posterior :)

marshalld said:
Think you might be wrong. :think: The GSM mobile phone prep for the A/S3 makes no mention of Bluetooth.

If you configure a Q7, the mobile phone preps explicitly state Bluetooth, it costs £650, and you need to spec the 'MMI high' package (or Sat Nav).

- operated via the optional MMI High system and integrated telephone voice-control system, including roof-mounted aerial for optimal reception. Must be combined with MMI High (price quoted does not include this item). Please note that your mobile must have Bluetooth SIM-Access Profile facility"

So i think the retrofit is the fitting of the Bluetooth module into the Sat Nav - an option not available as standard on the A/S3 range.

Ahh now i understand :thumbsup: So do you think it would be a better option not to spec the GSM, and retro fit a proper bluetooth module instead, or do you need the GSM for the bluetooth?

IH786 said:
Ahh now i understand :thumbsup: So do you think it would be a better option not to spec the GSM, and retro fit a proper bluetooth module instead, or do you need the GSM for the bluetooth?

I guess that's an option. Not sure you need the GSM prep, I think the bluetooth kit does it all (apart from charging the phone of course)
I'm sure JamS3 could tell us more as he's done it. :)

However, I've been doing some surfing this afternoon and it seems that there are incompatibilities between OEM fit bluetooth kits (i.e. Audi, Vauxhall, Volvo etc) and Nokia N series phones. It seems they won't read the phone book into the car systems - so you can only use the basic hands-free facilities. So you can't dial a number from the Sat-Nav - has to be done from the phone.

Given I have a 7610 and am looking at either a N73 or N95 I might just stick with the pama bluetooth kit I have now (battery powered, clips onto sun visor). Saves me some money as well :icon_thumright:

marshalld said:
I guess that's an option. Not sure you need the GSM prep, I think the bluetooth kit does it all (apart from charging the phone of course)
I'm sure JamS3 could tell us more as he's done it. :)

However, I've been doing some surfing this afternoon and it seems that there are incompatibilities between OEM fit bluetooth kits (i.e. Audi, Vauxhall, Volvo etc) and Nokia N series phones. It seems they won't read the phone book into the car systems - so you can only use the basic hands-free facilities. So you can't dial a number from the Sat-Nav - has to be done from the phone.

Given I have a 7610 and am looking at either a N73 or N95 I might just stick with the pama bluetooth kit I have now (battery powered, clips onto sun visor). Saves me some money as well :icon_thumright:

Yeah think it might be good to have a word with Craigyb when i am considering what spec i will get for the S3. Especially important since i want to get a Nokia N73 too :cool:

I have GSM prep on my S3 with no dealer fit cradle. I also have MFSW. Just use bluetooth on it. Cant understand why anyone would not tick the box. Best option on my car, closely followed by BOSE

Sorry been away from the computer for a while!

Its OEM Audi parts, a bluetooth box goes under the passenger seat in a pre specified location. A wiring loom goes from here and connects to the rear of the RNS-E sat nav. Then a microphone is placed in the interior light assembly above and left of your head in the front compartment.

All you have to do is walk into the car with your phone even in your pocket and it syncs with your car (ignition on). Now total hands free, can call from sat nav screen and answer phone calls without touching your phone inc voicemail calls.

Entire phonebook appears on the sat nav screen inc missed, dialled and received calls even signal strength indicator.

Excellent addition to the sat nav which works brilliantly. i love the idea of having to do nothing upon entering the car with it being all automatic. No unsightly cradles and having to put the phone in the armrest.

Yes there is no charging option but i charge my phone every night anyway so thats not a issue.

marshalld said:

Bluetooth is standard as part of the GSM phone prep on the A3/S3.

IH786 said:

Thats because my system is completely different than the standard Audi bluetooth offering which only consists of a bluetooth module and charging cradle. Dont forget options are always cheaper when being specced than retrofitting something, only exception being the RNS-E itself.

And if done yourself its £350 so cheaper than Audi!

JamS3 said:
Thats because my system is completely different than the standard Audi bluetooth offering which only consists of a bluetooth module and charging cradle. Dont forget options are always cheaper when being specced than retrofitting something, only exception being the RNS-E itself.

And if done yourself its £350 so cheaper than Audi!

I completely understand now :) . Think if i do get an S3 (i really think i will :yes: ) i will retro fit the sat nav and bluetooth, instead of paying 2k for the sat nav and £385 for the GSM kit from Audi.

Thanks for your help :icon_thumright:

All - just wanted to say a big thanks for all your advice in this thread. I bit the bullet yesterday and went and ordered a brand new S3 in silver. After following the advice on here I left out the Sat Nav, ipod link which kept the price down to around £28.5k with some bits of course (parking sensors, folding mirrors, interior light pack, luggage pack, elec lumbar, mf wheel).

My wife isnt too impressed at the moment (what, that much for a car !!!, we wont be allowed to breath in it !!! etc etc). I'm sure she'll come round, especially as I am adding her onto my insurance for this one. On that subject, the insurance quote I got from directline yesterday was about £200 cheaper than for my current S3 with declared REVO mod. Nice suprise.

The dealer also agreed that the ex-demo prices were very high at the moment, mainly because all of the demo's are loaded up with every option you can think of.

Just need to wait for a build & delivery date now !

In the meantime I'll be doing my homework on the retro fitting of the DVD Sat Nav :)

Cheers guys.

RGS3 said:

The longest wait of your life!!!! Good move matey,i'm sure you'll love it.

RGS3 said:

Cheers guys.

I finally got a build date of week 22 (end May) yesterday. Can expect mine 3-4 weeks after that.
Salesman said sometimes the date moves in, but very rarely goes out.

I hope he's right.

RGS3 said:
All - just wanted to say a big thanks for all your advice in this thread. I bit the bullet yesterday and went and ordered a brand new S3 in silver. After following the advice on here I left out the Sat Nav, ipod link which kept the price down to around £28.5k with some bits of course (parking sensors, folding mirrors, interior light pack, luggage pack, elec lumbar, mf wheel).

My wife isnt too impressed at the moment (what, that much for a car !!!, we wont be allowed to breath in it !!! etc etc). I'm sure she'll come round, especially as I am adding her onto my insurance for this one. On that subject, the insurance quote I got from directline yesterday was about £200 cheaper than for my current S3 with declared REVO mod. Nice suprise.

The dealer also agreed that the ex-demo prices were very high at the moment, mainly because all of the demo's are loaded up with every option you can think of.

In the meantime I'll be doing my homework on the retro fitting of the DVD Sat Nav :)

Cheers guys.

Congratulation on your purchase! I'm soo jealous :sadlike: I will need to wait at least 3months before i can afford to buy one.

Did you manage to get a decent discount on you order??