2008 spec

RHODIE

Reaction score
The 2008 spec comes in soon apparently. Does anyone know what the changes are yet?

GARTHY said:
The 2008 spec comes in soon apparently. Does anyone know what the changes are yet?
My build week is 18, that's next week. As you can imagine, I can be a little nervous to know if 2008 spec has any major changes.
I went to my Audi dealership last weekend and they said they have heard of absolutely no changes. If any at all, they haven't been informed. My saleman went to ask the boss on my request as well and they are expecting no changes what-so-ever except one: instead of 7 on the vin number, you'll get an 8. :p

I really hope I haven't been mis-informed.:thumbsup:

It's a pretty simple formula isn't it ?
Simply add something for free that used to be a £400 option.
Attract customers on one hand,**** off existing ones on the other.
Meh,they'll forget come time,the FOOLS !
MWWWWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !

Seriously,I remember my A4.
It came with feck all.
6 months later,electric this and that.
Hacks you right off.

mcmasman said:
My build week is 18, that's next week. As you can imagine, I can be a little nervous to know if 2008 spec has any major changes.
I went to my Audi dealership last weekend and they said they have heard of absolutely no changes. If any at all, they haven't been informed. My saleman went to ask the boss on my request as well and they are expecting no changes what-so-ever except one: instead of 7 on the vin number, you'll get an 8. :p

I really hope I haven't been mis-informed.:thumbsup:

I'm on buildweek 19 and I've been told the same as mcmasman,i.e. no changes. I think they would have to inform you anyway of any changes before delivery otherwise legally they wouldn't be supplying you what you ordered?

bowfer said:
Simply add something for free that used to be a £400 option.
I can accept free upgrade option and/or discount combo option to hold sales target for 2008.

I can't accept any big, visible changes or new options. That would hurt. :sadlike:

I know car will get old, under-equiped. But I don't want it to happen 3 weeks after picking it up.

mcmasman said:
I can accept free upgrade option and/or discount combo option to hold sales target for 2008.

I can't accept any big, visible changes or new options. That would hurt. :sadlike:

I know car will get old, under-equiped. But I don't want it to happen 3 weeks after picking it up.

Ah well,that's your punishment for keeping abreast.
I would venture many owners have no clue when 'upgrades' come out,as they never keep abreast of developments via the internet etc.
What they don't know doesn't hurt them.
When you pick up your new car,you want to step away from the internet mate.
Just leave it,it ain't worth it...
LEAVE IT !

Joking apart,there's no guarantee any visible changes will be better.
I've seen a few new S-lines going about and they seem to have different wheels from my '05 model.
They're gross though,so I'm chuffed I don't have them.

copperband said:
I'm on buildweek 19 and I've been told the same as mcmasman,i.e. no changes. I think they would have to inform you anyway of any changes before delivery otherwise legally they wouldn't be supplying you what you ordered?
That is only if you ordered it now and got a build week later then week 22 -23. That's around when they start manufacturing with 2008 spec.

People on build week 21 will not be notified. My dealer can't confirm when exactly 2008 spec build week start.

Dealers are normally told about any changes for the next model year specification some time in May.

When I was buying my previous A3 I placed the order on 15 March 2004 and the dealer received a Product Update giving details of the 2005 Model Year dated 5 May 2004. My car was actually built during week 27 (w/b 28 Juneand I took delivery on 23 July 2004. The car was to 2005 model year specification.

h5djr said:
Dealers are normally told about any changes for the next model year specification some time in May.
Dave, don't do that to me, I beg you. :3sadwalk:

It's only some new spec.
If it was a whole new model I'd understand your concern.
Never understood people who buy the end of an existing model,even if they do save money.
Especially if it's the same reg,so it could be either model.
I mean,it must be hellish come re-sale time.

"Hello,I'm calling about the car in the paper,is it the new shape one ?"
"No"
"brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..."

Dave, don't do that to me, I beg you

When I chatted to the sales guy I deal with he said he didn't think there would be many if any changes to the A3 range for 2008, apart from the introduction of the A3 softtop later in the year.

bowfer said:
It's only some new spec.
If it was a whole new model I'd understand your concern.

Agree. new model would be horrible for anyone to buy new, weeks before the change, given they are unaware of the change. That would be the worst nightmare.

Both Audi CS and Audi Sales HQ say there will be no changes to the S3 this year. I have it in writing.

Audi (or any other manufacturer) can change the specification whenevr they like without notifying you by law, providing it doesn't leave you with a 'less valuable' car. Notice on any contract or other ts and cs - "The manufacturer reserves the right to change specification"

Just the way of the world! Its like anything, its never ending, wait for one 'cut-off point' and your never that far away from the next one, ie, wait til may... but then your not far off a 57 plate... so ooo wait til september... but then your not far off having a car registered in 2008... wait til january... but then your not far from new 08 plate in march.... wait til march... but then your not far from a model year change to 2009 spec... wait for that around may time... but then its nearly september again... blah blah blah it goes on and on!!!

bowfer said:
Never understood people who buy the end of an existing model,even if they do save money.
There is another good reason about buying a late model - reliability. Chances are that all the early build issues are sorted, recalls included as part of the build, and the workforce familiar with what they're doing. Plus, as we've seen by the incremental annual spec changes, chances are you'll get a car with a lot of kit.

Then again though there is the enthusiasm of a new car/build and the pride that goes into making the first lot. Along with the boredom sloppy mistakes as they get made again and again and again....

Some people are not interested in changing/buying a new car every 3-4 years so resale value is not a big issue... so they buy the model they like at the best of it's quality which is late in the life cycle...

Regarding 2008 spec... Mates it is just a car, it's not a new model or anything, stop the paranoia! Order your motor and enjoy it driving! Stop the worries! Your car will be fine and you will be fine!

Pedro

Exactly!

You will always be able to buy the changed bits anyway and make it a facelifted version just like the 8L S3.

Normski is doing his own version with his LED rear lights anyway!!

bowfer said:
It's only some new spec.

I agree.

That's one thing that's concerning me at the moment. I'm looking to buy an A3 in the near future and am aware that the current model is getting on a bit! Does anyone know when the next model is planned?

As far as I understand at the moment it will not be until 2009 or 2010.

h5djr - cheers for that. 2009 confirms what I'd read on the internet.

JamS3 said:
Exactly!

You will always be able to buy the changed bits anyway and make it a facelifted version just like the 8L S3.

Normski is doing his own version with his LED rear lights anyway!!

Oh really....We shall see

I've read on the Golf Forums that the Golf GT is going to have a slight styling change this June ( Grill changes etc), with Audi could there be a possabilityof the same?
Golf have the new facelift Sept 08.

I don't believe that this model will have any other facelift! It will be replaced by a new model in 2 years time give or take... The A3 already had one facelift and usually one facelift is enough and precedes a new model...

Pedro

P.S.:Any eventual changes are in terms of standard spec, details. No worries mates, if not sure wait until 2009 to get the new model...

Any hints about the 2009 styling ?
I'd expect it to be a bit 'braver'.

tracieburr said:
I've read on the Golf Forums that the Golf GT is going to have a slight styling change this June ( Grill changes etc), with Audi could there be a possabilityof the same?
Golf have the new facelift Sept 08.

I was under the impression that the Golf in 2008 was the Mk VI, rather than a face lift (albeit on the existing platform to a degree)?

Re. the golf, I think they're getting rid of the Sport and GT versions and releasing a new "GT Sport" which, according to a ukmkivs member, will have some hint of the GTI styling. I think it's going to be a marketing push for the MkV before the release of the MkVI in 2008.

newbiecrg said:
I don't believe that this model will have any other facelift! It will be replaced by a new model in 2 years time give or take... The A3 already had one facelift and usually one facelift is enough and precedes a new model...

Pedro
True for the 3-door, but the Sportback is unchanged from when it was released in 2004, so they might make some minor tweaks before the new model comes out in 2009.

Anyone else a bit underwhelmed by the 2009 design ?
It's not exactly 'set the world on fire' now,never mind in two years...
I wish more car designers would grow some balls.
Or the bean counters would let them.

I think they tend to work on the same principle as the Golf. Why change what is a winning formula and take the risk of upsetting existing purchasers who they hope will buy another new one.

Not very brave perhaps, but they don't get paid for bravery - they get paid and Audi make money from selling cars.

Most Germans tend to be quite conservative with regard to car designs and that is Audi's home market.

h5djr said:
I think they tend to work on the same principle as the Golf. Why change what is a winning formula and take the risk of upsetting existing purchasers who they hope will buy another new one.

Not very brave perhaps, but they don't get paid for bravery - they get paid and Audi make money from selling cars.

Most Germans tend to be quite conservative with regard to car designs and that is Audi's home market.

Honda have shown bravery pays.
The Civic is one of the best selling cars in Europe.

bowfer said:

But would you buy one?? I quite like the car, but if asked the same question, I'd have to say no.

davemk said:
But would you buy one?? I quite like the car, but if asked the same question, I'd have to say no.

Yes,I would,if it weren't for kids.
Only a lack of rear space for kids' seats means it's off my shortlist.
Styling wise,I applaud Honda's bravery.
They even kept the triangular exhausts off the design sketch.

bowfer said:
Yes,I would,if it weren't for kids.
Only a lack of rear space for kids' seats means it's off my shortlist.
Styling wise,I applaud Honda's bravery.
They even kept the triangular exhausts off the design sketch.

Funny you should mention that. We followed one the other day and I commented on how much I like the rear exhausts. I actually like the car (especially as it's built in GB) but I just don't know if I could live with it. It's on my list of possible next car but I'm almost sure it'll be an A3 rather than the Civic.
I agree with you though, I applaud them for their design bravery.

The Civic may well be ONE of the best selling cars in Europe, but THE BEST selling car in Europe has been for many years and still is the Golf.

h5djr said:
The Civic may well be ONE of the best selling cars in Europe, but THE BEST selling car in Europe has been for many years and still is the Golf.

There could be umpteen reasons for that,the major one being German loyalty,but I'd lay money on the fact that styling appeal isn't a leading factor.
I bet you anything you like,when asked,Golf owners do not state 'styling' as a major reason for buying the car.
Whereas I bet it's the opposite with the Civic.
I bet you the majority state it was styling that first drew them towards it.
Which proves that brave styling can pay off.
I bet it outsells the old Civic (which was very Golf-like,i.e.dull) by a huge margin.
I would also leave it a while before judging as Honda's diesel engine,which will account for a large proportion of European sales,has only been out for a relatively short time.

I assume that the main reason most people purchase a Golf is it's reputation or that they have had one and want more of the same.

No everyone wants a 'flash design statement on wheels'. Some do and like the new Civic and some would never entertain having one. I think in general the Civic probably appeals to the 'younger' driver who prefer a flashier car.