Bucket Seats - Again

Spook

Reaction score
I briefly took out a Sprint Blue S3 from my local dealer this afternoon that was fitted with bucket seats. I wanted to try them out to see if I should spec them on my new S3.

I was most concerned to check out the lumbar support, as this had been a problem for me on other sports-type seats (including the Audi "Sports Comfort Seat" upon which standard S3 seats are based). I found this to be fine, but was surprised to find that the base of the seat was narrower than I expected. I had previously tried the RS4 seats, which had pneumatic adjustment of the side bolsters, and found these to be OK with them on their widest setting. However, on the S3 buckets, I found that the side bolsters were fixed so narrow that they tended to squeeze my thighs on each side more tightly than was comfortable, despite me not being particularly large in stature.

Seems to be a lot of money if the seats are going to be uncomfortable, but I can't help thinking that they make the car that bit more special, and would like to spec them if possible.

Has anyone else with bucket seats in their S3 found them to be tight on the thighs and if so, does this make them uncomfortable on long journeys? I vaguely recall someone with a similar problem modifying the 8L S3 Recaros by bending the frame of the side bolsters outwards slightly. Does anyone know whether this would be practical/possible on the 8P buckets?

If they have squeezed your thighs more than was comfortable on a test drive then i think you have answered your question!

They may be ok for other people, dont waste over 2 grand on them, they don't make the car that much more special!

I have bucket seat and could not recommend them more... very confortable on the long runs (I did 3000Km in two days and no back ache) Very good support... excellent to some serious driving... I do not feel squeezed but I do feel well supported.

It's your call!
Pedro

Hmmm, bucket seats...double edged sword IMO.

I opted for them on my S3. I love them. They make the car. Superb on the twisties. But...I am slim-ish bloke, not above 6ft tall, and don't have big thighs etc. But I can see where you are coming from, a big bloke, or woman, would find the bucket seats a tight squeeze. But it could be worse, anyone remember the seats in the TT Mk1 Quattro Sport - now they were tight, even for me, proper buckets they are.

I tried to spec Lumber Support, electrical, which I wasn't allowed to. I thought the bucket seats would have manual Lumber Support. But I can confirm, once and for all, they do not.

The other thing about the bucket seats (in the double edged sword line) is access to the rear. Using just the lever in the Racing Harness Hole, only tilts the seat back forward. It doesn't slide the seat base forward at the same time. I knew this before ordering. Its hassle, but I don't carry rear passengers that often.

Perhaps the biggest "problem" with the bucket seats is actually getting in/out of them yourself. If you want to avoid creasing the leather too much like I do, you need to adopt a "push your self up with your arms, but not on the leather" type of technique. I put left hand on the steering wheel, right hand into the outer most harness loop hole, and the push up with my left leg and out of the car.

But the seats look the business, and hold you perfectly when driving.

AL