EM TuningAH Fabrications
    The Damned

Status

Re Mapping Advice wanted

I’m looking to get a bit more performance out of my 2.0 tdi 140bhp and have been looking down the remap path. I just have a couple of questions:

There seems to be a big following for the Bluefin and Oetteneger remaps which are out of my budget. I have a friend of a friend who works for Audi who can do a remap for Ł200 and claims to give the same performance as the fore mentioned. Is there any difference between these options?

Also there’s a lot of talk about getting better fuel economy via a remap. This I find confusing as surely an engine can’t go faster without burning more fuel? Not that I'm bothered though!

2. # ADS
    ADS

S55 LKS

Status
    Cant give much advice on the different remaps but I can confirm my fuel consumption has improved after a remap, when I stopped stamping on the pedal and grinning anyway.
    2004 1.9TDi A4 Avant Sport, GmbH bodykit, DPM Remap, Fishscale Alu trim, RNS-E

6th Gear

Status
    I would be a bit wary of cheap remaps, they are cheap for a reason.

I would only go for a good company, Bluefin etc are expensive due to the money that is involved with the R&D side of the remap.

As for fuel economy i have got better MPG with my remap (200bhp --->240bhp ish) and this is due to the remap moving the torque curve around and also the fact you don't need to use as much throttle to overtake etc.

The Damned

Status
    Sorry but I still don't understand how you can get a better fuel economy from making an engine go faster? It seems that it goes against the laws of kinetis physics. Energy to Motion/fuel to speed ratio and all that.

The only way that I can see that better fuel economy can be achieved is by driving in a more conservative mannar. Which you can achieve without a remap.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Also does anyone know if any comparitive tests have been done on remaps? Like a which guide type of thing.

6th Gear

Status
    Don't forget to add Revo into the mix too they do a good map that is switchable for the 140 TDi.

The reason that you get better fuel consumption (well when you aren't booting it) is that the maps are a lot better. The original maps are pretty much designed to run on all the differnt fuel quality and standards around the world. The European tuners can fine tune the maps to our fuel and servicing standards, so when you drive normally you get better fuel economy.

The other side effect is that the ESC light flashes a bit more in the cluster
    2011 (MY12) Skoda Octavia II FL VRS Manual Hatch 2.0Tsi in Race Blue.
    Gone not forgotten -
    2005 Black A3 (8P1) S-Line 2.0TDi DSG. Eibach Pro Springs, Koni FSD shocks and a few bling bits inside.
    Revo 99 GTi Turbo, too much to list mod wise.
    92 Golf Gti Mark 2 16V.

VCDS HEX-USB+CAN

6th Gear

Status
    Don't forget the maufacturer has to create a generic map for all tastes both in ****e fuel being put in, people not servicing their cars on time etc. They would not want their cars breaking down at the sightest thing so they have to be really conservative.

If you are prepared to put decent fuel in and service the car on time then thats how a more specific map can be taken advantage of.
    NOW - Audi S3 Facelift - Sprint Blue, RNS-E Sat Nav, SDS, Bluetooth Phone Prep, Bose, Cruise, Buckets, FBMFSW, Adaptive Lights, Int Light Pack, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Piano Black Inserts, Through Load, Auto Dim RV Mirror/Wing, Auto Wipers/Lights, Folding Door Mirrors, Heated Seats, Ipod Dock, Front Arm Rest, Rear/Front Parking Sensors, 1st Aid Kit, Rear Arm Rest, H + R Springs, Front 15mm Spacers, Rear 10mm Spacers.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Maximo
    Sorry but I still don't understand how you can get a better fuel economy from making an engine go faster? It seems that it goes against the laws of kinetis physics. Energy to Motion/fuel to speed ratio and all that.

The only way that I can see that better fuel economy can be achieved is by driving in a more conservative mannar. Which you can achieve without a remap.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Also does anyone know if any comparitive tests have been done on remaps? Like a which guide type of thing.
    if you use the search option on this site you will find lots of threads with discussions abour re-maps and the benefits. Including a proper breakdown of how most people end up with better fuel economy. Also the superchips website has articles from magazine where it has explained this previously.
    Hope it helps....
    Audi A3 2.0 TDi 140 S-Line DSG (Met Silver - Bose - Symphony II - 6 CD Changer - Audi Phone Kit - iPod - Center Arm Rest)
    SOLD Kawasaki ZX636R Ninja (b1h) (Met Black - Steering Damper - Fabbri Screen - Scorpion Exhaust - Braided Hoses - Seat Cowl - Mini indicators - Pirelli Diablo Corsa III Dual Compound Tyres)