A couple of questions..

Rogue

Reaction score
Hi, just a couple of things I wanted to ask - firstly, does the wiring for the front fogs come ready fitted on all cars, or is it something you have to specify ? I have bought some front fogs to fit to my 2.0 FSi SE but don't know if the wiring will be there. Also, I have the auto light package, so there isn't a position for front fogs on the switch as standard - could I piggy back them onto the feed for the rear fogs ?

Secondly, I seem to be having a problem with my cruise control - a couple of times it has cut out and I cannot get it to engage again, although on trying it again later on the return journey it appears to be working ok ?

The car is a 53 plate.
Thanks, and can I just say how pleased I am to have found this forum, very helpful ! :respekt:

Rod

Rogue said:
Hi, just a couple of things I wanted to ask - firstly, does the wiring for the front fogs come ready fitted on all cars, or is it something you have to specify ? I have bought some front fogs to fit to my 2.0 FSi SE but don't know if the wiring will be there. Also, I have the auto light package, so there isn't a position for front fogs on the switch as standard - could I piggy back them onto the feed for the rear fogs ?

Secondly, I seem to be having a problem with my cruise control - a couple of times it has cut out and I cannot get it to engage again, although on trying it again later on the return journey it appears to be working ok ?

The car is a 53 plate.
Thanks, and can I just say how pleased I am to have found this forum, very helpful ! :respekt:

Rod

Can I just say I'd like to edit my original opinion - 67 views of this thread and not one reply (useful or otherwise..) :shrug:

Rod

Sorry, welcome to the forum! :)

Re the fogs, I'm afraid I don't know if the wiring is already there or not. As for the switch, you don't have the position for the fogs simply because the car didn't come with them, it's not because you have auto lights - it is possible to have auto lights and front fogs, as I do, thus you could get a new switch with both of these positions on it.

Not sure on the cruise - don't have it now but did on my last car and never had any issues like the one you describe - could well be a faulty connection somewhere.

Hiya Rod..

Best way to be 100% sure on whether the fogs are 'pre-wired' would be to remove the lower bumper grills and have a look around for any looms tucked away somewhere, even my lowly renault Kangoo works van has the looms in place behind the fog light 'blanks' so you may be in luck..

You could piggyback the front fogs onto the rear fog feed if required, i have the auto light pack on my car and the headlamp switch has a front fog position as i have fogs, perhaps you could obtain the same headlamp switch i have to enable you to use the front fog position on it? If the actual lamps themselves are pre-wired, chances are so too is the multiplug on the rear of the switch?

Cruise control problems could be down to a loose connection on or fauly brake/clutch switches as the cruise control will disengage if either pedal is pressed so the fault may lie there?

Sorry it's not a more definative answer to your questions mate..

Btw, welcome to the forum mate! :icon_thumright:

Rogue said:
Rod,
I've had cruise on both my A3s. The last one worked perfectly, but with the new one (Jan 07), I've had a couple of times where it failed to kick in. I just put it down to my not pulling the lever forward enough. I'd be driving down the road with the cruise set to 79, come up behind somebody slower and tap the brake to knock off the cruise, use the throttle pedal to keep the speed behind the car in front, then when they pull out of the way, pull the cruise stalk and forget about it, only to realise about 30 seconds later that I was slowing down. Pulling the lever forward once more seems to do the job. Like I said, I just put it down to not pulling it forward far enough the first time.

Is this what you are talking about, or do you mean that when you have it set it just disengages without any user intervention - brake pedal\clutch?

In relation to the fogs, Vertigo1 is correct in saying that the only reason your switch doesn't have the front fog setting is because the car didn't come with them as standard. I would therefore assume that if they didn't fit the switch "just in case", they would be highly unlikely to have fitted the additional wiring for the fogs. I'm not sure how they are wired, but perhaps they take a feed directly from the front light cluster, so maybe you wouldn't need to dismantle the whole car in order to retrofit the wiring for them.

Piggybacking the front fogs onto the feed for your rear fogs, is probably not the best idea. I always drive my car with the lights on - for safety reasons, plus it kinda looks good too! Perhaps you do the same, or maybe not, but in order to have the front fogs on, you would need to have the rear fogs on too. Plus when driving at night that's not the done thing. You'd have people flashing their lights at you constantly for having the rear fogs on.

Your best bet if you want to do it properly is to get the switch with the front fog setting, then get the necessary wiring to hook up the front fogs.

MarcQuinlivan said:
Rod,
do you mean that when you have it set it just disengages without any user intervention - brake pedal\clutch?

Yes, pretty much does it on it's own - the disengaging isn't the irritation, it's that it won't go back on regardless what I do, then the next time I drive the car it seems to have reset itself :uhm:

I wouldn't drive with the rear fogs on anyway, so I'd probably only be using them in the legal, correct manner...:busted_cop:

Rod

It may look "kinda good" to have the front fogs on all the time...but pretty sure its illegal to use them unless the weather dictates their use! Almost as annoying as people who forget to switch off the rears IMO, but everyone to their own.:o.k:

BrianM said:
It may look "kinda good" to have the front fogs on all the time...but pretty sure its illegal to use them unless the weather dictates their use! Almost as annoying as people who forget to switch off the rears IMO, but everyone to their own.:o.k:
not over here (as far as I'm aware). I've been using the front fogs in daylight hours for years. i lived just on the border with northern ireland for the past 10 years so police checkpoints were the norm. not once was i told to turn off the front fogs. i also have several police friends who do the same - and they should know what the law is. in my opinion, the more light you have on the front of your car the safer you are.

i agree on the use of rear fogs, however front fogs are not dazzling to oncoming drivers as they are directed towards the road. i have seen boy racers in novas and micras pulled in because they had their fogs on, however they were cheap aftermarket installs, which more often than not were spotlights, not foglights.

but, like you said, each to their own.

Officially, the use of the front or rear fog lamps when there is not seriously reduced visibility is illegal in both the UK and N.I.

Highway Code says:

94: (also 201/211) You MUST NOT
  • use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users
  • use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users.
It used to define these as less than 100m for the rears, and less than 200 for the fronts, but I can't find it there anymore. Though it does define it in law manuals still. A bit of rain doesn't justify their use, it ought to be proper foggy.

I would suggest that certainly in my area, it is enforced to punish boy racers and the like who have otherwise drawn attention to themselves, as opposed to general members of the public who will just get advice.

It is one of my pet hates, and if Bowfer saw you he would brand you a chav (if he hasn't already...lol)

normski said:
Officially, the use of the front or rear fog lamps when there is not seriously reduced visibility is illegal in both the UK and N.I.

Highway Code says:

94: (also 201/211) You MUST NOT
  • use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users
  • use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users.
It used to define these as less than 100m for the rears, and less than 200 for the fronts, but I can't find it there anymore. Though it does define it in law manuals still. A bit of rain doesn't justify their use, it ought to be proper foggy.

I would suggest that certainly in my area, it is enforced to punish boy racers and the like who have otherwise drawn attention to themselves, as opposed to general members of the public who will just get advice.

It is one of my pet hates, and if Bowfer saw you he would brand you a chav (if he hasn't already...lol)
thanks Normski. I knew the law for NI as I was at college in Belfast and several friends would regularly get pulled in by plod for using their fogs in daylight - but as you say they were boy racers. i've travel to NI several times a year and never get pulled in for using them - any police i've met on the road have actually admired my car.

down here the police are either more lax about it, or else it is not illegal to use the front fogs. as I said, I've never been pulled in for using them in Ireland, and I don't know anybody who has.

MarcQuinlivan said:
down here the police are either more lax about it, or else it is not illegal to use the front fogs. as I said, I've never been pulled in for using them in Ireland, and I don't know anybody who has.

I gotta agree, I am always amazed at how many people drive in Ireland with their front fogs on. Whilst it is good to have thef ront of the car well lit, I must admit that I find it quite off putting in oncoming traffic.