Badger5Sky Insurance
    1st Gear

Status

Headlamp Protectors

I am told the stnd Audi Headlamp protectors have a not very attractive silver hook/bracket in the top middle of them.

These ones don't look bad, has anyone used them http://www.audi-accessories.co.uk/in...&productId=243

Thanks Guys
    Last edited by jasaudi; 20th April 2007 at 21:25. Reason: Dodgy spelling
    2007 A6 Allroad 3.2 FSI Quattro - Lava Grey, sports seats, silver Headlining, Acoustic parking, armrest, multi-function steering wheel, cruise control, Xenons, , Sat nav, GSM, Audi MMI

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Ain't they the same?
    Audi A3 (8P) 2.0TDI SE .:. Ebony Black, Sports Suspension, Vienna Beige Sports Leather Seats, Concert II & BOSE, 6 CD-Changer, Xenons, Acoustic Parking Sensors & All The Packs .:.

Gone but not forgotten

4th Gear

Status
    You can't get original Audi healight protectors for xenon lights only for halogen headlight units.
    Now:BMW 530d M-sport tourer. Then:Lava Grey A3 Sportback S-line 2.0TFSI Quattro, S-line Special Edition, Xenon Plus, Leather, Light and Rain Pack, Interior light Pack, Bose, DVD Nav+, Bluetooth, Multifunction wheel,Cruise, Heated Front Seats, Folding Mirrors, Rear Parking Sensor and some other bits.

1st Gear

Status
    Dandle

Does anyone make a protector for the Xenon then please?
    2007 A6 Allroad 3.2 FSI Quattro - Lava Grey, sports seats, silver Headlining, Acoustic parking, armrest, multi-function steering wheel, cruise control, Xenons, , Sat nav, GSM, Audi MMI

1st Gear

Status
    I am using them with xenons??
    Gone - A3 2.0 TDI (140) Sportback Sport

Now - BMW f10 520d

6th Gear

Status
    I have them on my new S3, a search would have revealed this....

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthr...761#post335761
    NOW - Audi S3 Facelift - Sprint Blue, RNS-E Sat Nav, SDS, Bluetooth Phone Prep, Bose, Cruise, Buckets, FBMFSW, Adaptive Lights, Int Light Pack, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Piano Black Inserts, Through Load, Auto Dim RV Mirror/Wing, Auto Wipers/Lights, Folding Door Mirrors, Heated Seats, Ipod Dock, Front Arm Rest, Rear/Front Parking Sensors, 1st Aid Kit, Rear Arm Rest, H + R Springs, Front 15mm Spacers, Rear 10mm Spacers.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cjp2k
    I am using them with xenons??
    Oh ok. I might well be wrong then. When I bought my car(March 06) the headlight protectors werent suitable for xenon lights. Did Audi fit yours or did you fit them?
    Now:BMW 530d M-sport tourer. Then:Lava Grey A3 Sportback S-line 2.0TFSI Quattro, S-line Special Edition, Xenon Plus, Leather, Light and Rain Pack, Interior light Pack, Bose, DVD Nav+, Bluetooth, Multifunction wheel,Cruise, Heated Front Seats, Folding Mirrors, Rear Parking Sensor and some other bits.

6th Gear

Status
    I fit them myself, as far as I'm aware it should not make a difference xenon or not its the shape of the headlight that matters. You can see the clips on my post you refer to.
    NOW - Audi S3 Facelift - Sprint Blue, RNS-E Sat Nav, SDS, Bluetooth Phone Prep, Bose, Cruise, Buckets, FBMFSW, Adaptive Lights, Int Light Pack, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Piano Black Inserts, Through Load, Auto Dim RV Mirror/Wing, Auto Wipers/Lights, Folding Door Mirrors, Heated Seats, Ipod Dock, Front Arm Rest, Rear/Front Parking Sensors, 1st Aid Kit, Rear Arm Rest, H + R Springs, Front 15mm Spacers, Rear 10mm Spacers.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JamS3
    I fit them myself, as far as I'm aware it should not make a difference xenon or not its the shape of the headlight that matters. You can see the clips on my post you refer to.
    The reason Audi gave me for not fitting them was that they are not approved for xenon headlights, not they wouldn't fit. The light units are the same shape xenon or halogen. Saying that it was a year ago so they may well have approved units now.

As far as I understand, the only reason for not fitting headlamp protectors to xenon headlights is that the headlights get hotter when in use and the protectors stop the flow of air to the front of the units to help keep them cool.

I know some members have fitted them with no adverse effect.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

6th Gear

Status
    Well nothing was mentioned to me when I bought them and there is a gap between the protector and headlight glass so air can still pass through between this.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jasaudi
    I am told the stnd Audi Headlamp protectors have a not very attractive silver hook/bracket in the top middle of them.

These ones don't look bad, has anyone used them http://www.audi-accessories.co.uk/in...&productId=243

Thanks Guys
    The headlamp picture in your link looks like a B7 A4, not an A3. The B7 A4 has the slight kink in the headlamp shape.
    Sportback

2nd Gear

Status
    So are these safe to use on xenons if you drive alot at night??? I have them on my car but dont really do many long trips at night, however I have a couple of long journeys to do soon? Would`nt want them to overheat and blow the bulb thingy as even those are £100 odd each?
    A3 3.2 Q SPORT DSG Now...Edition 30 Golf GTI

6th Gear

Status
    I think that the lens is replaceable on the Xenon lights and is plastic anyway.

Well I'm pretty sure that my 2005 has plastic lenses and looking at the clips holding them on they look replaceable to me.

Paul
    2011 (MY12) Skoda Octavia II FL VRS Manual Hatch 2.0Tsi in Race Blue.
    Gone not forgotten -
    2005 Black A3 (8P1) S-Line 2.0TDi DSG. Eibach Pro Springs, Koni FSD shocks and a few bling bits inside.
    Revo 99 GTi Turbo, too much to list mod wise.
    92 Golf Gti Mark 2 16V.

VCDS HEX-USB+CAN

6th Gear

Status
    Iv'e had them on now since Jan this year and no issues even with night driving!

Well I'm pretty sure that my 2005 has plastic lenses and looking at the clips holding them on they look replaceable to me.
    The lenses of the Bi-Xenons on my 2007 Sportback are also plastic, but unfortuately the actual 'lense' part is not listed as a seperate part in Audi's parts catalogue.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3