Shorty Registration plates

copperband

Reaction score
This isn't a specific A/S3 question but does anyone on here have short plates to match their shorter number.I don't have an S3 prefix unfortunately (X8 from my RX8) but I would like shorter plates as I think it would look nicer on the new S3 I'm getting in May/June. I think they are legal as long as the spacing and letters are still correct but I made need correcting on that?

normski said:

Unfortunately not,I've spent the last hour trawling the net for info.All I can find is various sites telling me about the size and shape of the letters and numbers but absolutely nothing about the size of the plate itself.
I'm not wanting anything unusual or fancy,ie non legal Fonts,spacing, emblems.
Just want a standard size and colour Font on a shorter than normal plate as my numbers only 5 characters long, eg S3 TIM. As I'm not misrepresenting anything I can't see I'd be contravening the law but want to check first!

Oh gowd,you've hit upon a pet hate of mine..
I think short plates look incredibly silly.
By all means have all your letters/digits grouped together,but keep the plate a standard size or it just looks silly in the space provided.
A neighbour has short plates on his Range Rover and they just look so awful as the space left at either side is so 'obvious' and vacant looking.

I do believe plates have to be a minimum size though,which is why so many bikers get done when they put little ones on (regardless of font size).

bowfer said:
By all means have all your letters/digits grouped together,but keep the plate a standard size or it just looks silly in the space provided.
A neighbour has short plates on his Range Rover and they just look so awful as the space left at either side is so 'obvious' and vacant looking.

I do believe plates have to be a minimum size though,which is why so many bikers get done when they put little ones on (regardless of font size).

It's funny you say that because I think the opposit, I hate all the white or yellow expanse of plastic either side of the reg:)

I know what you're saying about the bikers mini plates but they are always undersized characters (at least the ones I've seen) and can't be read by Speed camera's, etc. Some are thinner than a school ruler and totally un readable so I can sort of understand the police pulling those people.

copperband said:
This isn't a specific A/S3 question but does anyone on here have short plates to match their shorter number.I don't have an S3 prefix unfortunately (X8 from my RX8) but I would like shorter plates as I think it would look nicer on the new S3 I'm getting in May/June. I think they are legal as long as the spacing and letters are still correct but I made need correcting on that?
the only problem with the small plates is that there is a gap in the front bumper to house the plate. I've seen photos of US A3s with the S3 front bumper and their square plates look pretty bad since they don't fill the full width of the gap.

From my point of view the following applies for short plates:

1. The letters still need to have the correct spacing and be of the correct size, ie. they should conform to the regs on the PDF.
2. The plate can be a smaller size as long as the amount of border is as per the legal requirements.
3. Most important - make sure that the plate has the BS mark stamped on it, this alone being missing is an offence even if the plate is correct. Any traffic cop worth his salt will see this as a sign that something is wrong with the plate anyway, and this can be seen from a following distance (try it and see - just don't rear end your victim).

I have just called someone else as well to confirm this answer as well.

MarcQuinlivan said:
the only problem with the small plates is that there is a gap in the front bumper to house the plate. I've seen photos of US A3s with the S3 front bumper and their square plates look pretty bad since they don't fill the full width of the gap.

It's a good point and one I've just noticed looking through some of the pics on this site. I think I might be better to stock with the standard after all and maybe add the GB bit to take up a little space!

copperband said:
It's a good point and one I've just noticed looking through some of the pics on this site. I think I might be better to stock with the standard after all and maybe add the GB bit to take up a little space!

Or get a plate with a country on it with more than 2 letters...:arco:

normski said:
From my point of view the following applies for short plates:

1. The letters still need to have the correct spacing and be of the correct size, ie. they should conform to the regs on the PDF.
2. The plate can be a smaller size as long as the amount of border is as per the legal requirements.
3. Most important - make sure that the plate has the BS mark stamped on it, this alone being missing is an offence even if the plate is correct. Any traffic cop worth his salt will see this as a sign that something is wrong with the plate anyway, and this can be seen from a following distance (try it and see - just don't rear end your victim).

Thanks for the info,I was planning to conform with all those points, that said though I am now put off by the fact that the S3 has this gap in the bumper to accomadate the plate!

I personally think the full width one will look better, but they are cheap so why not wait until you get the car?

normski said:
I personally think the full width one will look better, but they are cheap so why not wait until you get the car?
I already have the plate on my BMW and the rear is damaged and needs replacing, think i'll go full width after all:laugh:

normski said:

Although my plates are the usual size and have legal fonts,I have neither a BS mark nor a dealer postcode on them.

My plates just have the lettering,a black border and my favourite football team's badge.

Given that my plates 'look' standard and legal from anything other than feet away,it would take the most anally retentive copper to pull me over.
I'm aware that my car would fail an MOT without the correct markings,but I still have the plates that the dealer fitted at home.
When the car goes back to the leasing company,they'll go back on.

bowfer said:
Although my plates are the usual size and have legal fonts,I have neither a BS mark nor a dealer postcode on them.

My plates just have the lettering,a black border and my favourite football team's badge.

Given that my plates 'look' standard and legal from anything other than feet away,it would take the most anally retentive copper to pull me over.
I'm aware that my car would fail an MOT without the correct markings,but I still have the plates that the dealer fitted at home.
When the car goes back to the leasing company,they'll go back on.

And you will be amazed at how many anally retentive cops are out there!

Not something I would have you for unless you were drawing attention to yourself and I wanted to make a point, but like you say it is a very minor offence which if all else is legal, why enforce it?

I generally use the missing BS mark as a catch all on dodgy number plates to save all the rig-a-ma-roll of measuring the spacings, photographing the plate etc. Taken on its own it is pointless really...not that I make a habit of hassling people for minor traffic offences unless like I say they draw attention to themselves in another way, I am sure you know what I mean.

copperband said:
My plate is a short one and it doesn't look too bad on the full size plate.

I think Millduu has a pic in the gallery of his Sportback with the S3 front bumper and a small number plate.

Photobucket is blocked here at work, so I can't see the images, but check page 6 - I think there is on this post:http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showpost.php?p=317519&postcount=207

I rest my case using Marcquinlivan's post.
His plate looks fine.
The short plate on the other car looks utterly,completely ludicrous.

I have short plates on both cars with less characters than normal...and in my view they look far better than full width plates with inches of blank white or yellow on them..although I did shorten the number plate mounting carrier to suit.

In my view, ANY form of badge looks daft...GB, car type, football team etc...it just looks odd and gives people reasons to stop/dislike you. (wrong football team for an opposing fan, illegal logo for a Policeman)

As long as the letters are legal and the minimum spacing side, top and bottom is met, you can have them any width you like.

I too don't have the BS markings...but the plates are otherwise legal...and I've passed several MOTs with them on.

Ess_Three said:
football team etc...it just looks odd and gives people reasons to stop/dislike you. (wrong football team for an opposing fan, illegal logo for a Policeman)

That's probably true,but I've never found a problem with it (yet).
Probably only be Glasgow where it would be a problem but,seeing as I avoid that hellhole like the plague,I don't think it's a massive problem.
I probably won't bother with it on my next motor though.
I agree with you on those 'GB' logos or flags,I don't like them at all.
This is my plate,illegal spacing on't front.
Space between the B4 and LFO on the back.
My surname is 'Balfour'.

Photo-0022-1.jpg

I have 'normal' EU type plates on my A3. I prefer the EU/GB plates as I take my car to mainland Europe at least once every year so it saves having to mess about with GB plates.

bowfer said:

lol, another pet hate of yours...:happy: