Parking Sensor Retrofit

A3ontheA3

Reaction score
Parked up in one of those tight underground car-parks at the weekend, didn't see the little 3 foot breezeblock wall and gave it a nudge, couldn't believe the damage..!! Hit the corner/edge where it is rough and spiky so now have line of holes in the incredibly thin plastic bumper, is there a repair..?? or should I get an expensive 'Parking Sensor Retrofit', have never been happy reversing the SB, wish I'd had it specced. May just live with it but it doesn't look good..
:eek:((

It comes in extremely handy for me. If your gonna get the bumper repaired, do heavily consider the parking sensors.

It's a must!

I think the A3 3-dr is so easy to reverse its rediculous to spend £260 on factory fit sensors. Sportback different kettle of fish, haven't tried them enough to comment.

I have been considering getting the sensor retrofitted on my sportback. The only thing that is holding me back is I don't know if it is going to look okay. The factory fitted sensor are flush and in the same color as the rest of the car so you can hardly see them. I am very afraid that retrofitted sensor will look like ugly black spots sticking out of the bumper. In that case I won't bother.

Really dont see the point of parking sensors. The SB is only about 4cm longer than the 3-door I think, where's the problem parking it!?

Granted you might not see a low bollard or kerb but then it's also highly unlikely that anything that low would be detected by the sensors anyway.

Vertigo1 said:
....Granted you might not see a low bollard or kerb but then it's also highly unlikely that anything that low would be detected by the sensors anyway.
On the contrary, I can confirm that the parking sensors can and do detect objects as low as curbs or bollards.

Many times my rear bumper has been saved from damage by low concrete bollards (as you get in supermarket car parks), which are completely invisible from the drivers seat.

If you can't see a potentially colliding object, no amount of driving skill will stop you hitting it !

I don't have anything against parking sensors at all and if they were standard, as on the new 3-series coupe which is a dog to reverse visibility wise, then I wouldn't mind at all as it is extra piece of mind.

I have had Passats for 8 years now and haven't dinked the **** once. If you have a look at the area where you are going to reverse into before you do it, there can be no surprises when you do.

It's just so easy to know where the **** of the A3 is, they would be superfluos to the way I drive.

If the major concern on a retro fit is how bad they will look, have you considered getting a whole new bumper with them already fitted?

I used to have parking sensors on my ST170 and found them very useful. They once beeped while reversing in a shopping centre carpark to tell me someone was walking behind with a trolley before I'd seen them.

However, I don't have them with my Sportback, although I do find it easy to park because the back is almost vertical from the window. You do however have to check where you're going to reverse into first, something which parking sensors would overcome!

I would find out how much the OE Audi kit is (might be cheaper than the original cost option when new) or look into quality aftermarket products. If it's cheap enough it would be worth it.

normski said:
If the major concern on a retro fit is how bad they will look, have you considered getting a whole new bumper with them already fitted?

Not a bad idea, but it wouldn't be worth the cost for me (bumper + sensor kit + spraying + fitting). Maybe I need to run into something first and damage the bumper so that it needs to be replaced anyway.... nah, too much bother.

benw123 said:
I used to have parking sensors on my ST170 and found them very useful. They once beeped while reversing in a shopping centre carpark to tell me someone was walking behind with a trolley before I'd seen them.
Yes indeed, I have had the very same thing happen to me.

And equally, it could be a toddler who has just run behind your car without your knowledge. The parking sensors could then prevent something far more serious than just a trivial ding in your bumper !

synthdood said:
Not a bad idea, but it wouldn't be worth the cost for me (bumper + sensor kit + spraying + fitting). Maybe I need to run into something first and damage the bumper so that it needs to be replaced anyway.... nah, too much bother.
exactly..!! that's where I came in, it would be a major expense to fit the whole lot.. so can these plastic bumpers be repaired..? it's not a process of fill/rub down/spray, the plastic is so thin you'd think you could get the iron out on it..! should get a picture sorted but don't have the time.

I have parking sensors (for when my wife drives, ahem) and would have said don't bother with a retrofit except that at the weekend they paid for themselves. Returning to the front of the car in the pub car park and jumping into the drivers seat I was about to reverse out and the beepers went off... looked behind and nothing there. Out of gear, back into gear beeping again. Thought... damn the sensors are faulty but jumped out just to check to find someones Golden retriever was dozing in the sunshine right behind the car and unbelievably it never moved. Now I know where the expression doggo comes from.

Being a dog lover if I had run it over I would have been mortified. Good investment and definitely not a question of learning to drive.