A3 Sportback oil question

Geraldy212

Sportback owner
Reaction score
I bought a one-year-old Sportback 2.0L TDI 140 recently, my first Audi. It has now done 17,000kms, but the oil looks really black. The service book indicates that it was serviced at 15,000kms, I suppose with an oil/filter change. This is my first diesel. Should I go ahead and change the oil/filter now for peace of mind, or is this a normal situation. I half suspect that the French garage did not bother to change the oil properly. The next service is at 30,000kms. Does the ECU monitor oil quality? Apparently to go so long between services, oil has to be good for a long time. The car is still under warrenty, so if I have the oil changed by my local garage, would that affect the warrenty? Any good advice will be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I've a feeling that the oil in diesels goes black more or less straight away unlike petrols.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Mine was also really black when it went in for its first service at very similar mileage, but it had been on the road for TWO YEARS - and that was still early according to the DIS service display.

Does your car have DIS? If you pull the odometer reset button out gently, the display will tell you how many miles and/or days remain until the next service. I also asked round when ringing Audi dealers for service quotes if two years was too long, especially for a car I'd owned since new, and they said it was fine.

If I didn't have DIS, I'd check the service schedule and stick to it. If you're really worried, then an oil change every 12 months in addition to the usual servicing would probably make for a healthier engine.