Monster MotorsportEM Tuning

Thread: just my luck

5th Gear

Status

just my luck

Had a mark on my windscreen for a few weeks now - like a smear about 15cm long following the curve of the wiper travel - thought it was just a bit of grease or something that the wipers couldn't shift - washed it today and polished the glass to get the bug splats off n stuff and turns out this mark is a bloomin scratch in the glass!!!!! car only got 700 miles on it!

Damn!

Can light scratches in glass be sorted? Or is this my first flaw i have to live with for the few years? Its a pain because its so large and right in my field of vision so on a bright sunny day it doesn't half stand out!

cheers

2. # ADS
    ADS

windsurfer

Status
    have you tried a good glass polish?

Hey Steve any news about the wobbling Xenons?

Hope I have better luck with mine, picking it up next Wednesday....

Pedro
    FOR SALE: S3 Phantom Black, left hand drive, Xenons, FBMFSW, bucket seats, BOSE, rear parking sensors, armrest, interior light package, Symphony II+. Full Audi service history and 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 2. 18500 miles PM for details! I want to give it away have a good family reason. For a quick sale around 19.5k PM only if interest is genuine! Thanks

6th Gear

Status
    you can polish the scratch out with some cutting paste and a hand polisher machine.

5th Gear

Status
    any ideas what would be suitable without making it worse? I've tried some turtlewax glass polish but it may be too mild. Problem is you can just about feel it with your fingernail so i suspect no amount of polishing will bring it out

Pedro - not had it in yet - suppsoed to go last week but i cudnt get time off work (its a pain takin car in garage for me) supposed to be taking it in tomorrow however ive just given it a good clean today so now im not sure cos no doubt the garage will muck it all up again even if its just to work under the bonnet wit the lights and the door handle

5th Gear

Status
    may be worthwhile breaking the window and paying the excess for a new one

2009 Suzuki GSXR1000K9 SE in White
    2012 Triumph Speed Triple R in Black
    2012 RS3 in Racing Mica Blue
    2012 A1 TFSI in Misano red (shared with mum)

Four Wheel Drifting

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A3simon
    may be worthwhile breaking the window and paying the excess for a new one
    I'd second that or at least phone autoglass and see what they say. Just don't give your reg in case they say it's irreparable and you need to contact them later in the week or whenever...
    Unmolested Ming blue S3 (so it doesn't handle or stop very well), Bose, sunroof and centre armrest but no heated seats - Gone but not forgotten although I am enjoying the new 350CLK!

PSN - S3hawkster

5th Gear

Status
    We always used to do this with our vans, claw hammer. Used to do it when we did not want to go to jobs as well...
    2.0T Quattro SLine, now 320d Sport Touring

5th Gear

Status
    Best way is to hit it with the teeth of a hacksaw blade kind of whip it. Totally shatters the whole window lol

2009 Suzuki GSXR1000K9 SE in White
    2012 Triumph Speed Triple R in Black
    2012 RS3 in Racing Mica Blue
    2012 A1 TFSI in Misano red (shared with mum)

4th Gear

Status
    Autoglass won't fit an OE window though it will be a patern copy by a cheaper company. Plus the window will never be fitted as well as it was from the factory. It may not bother some but if my car had only 700 miles on it I would pay the extra to buy an original window from Audi, although that will be big money.
    Now:BMW 530d M-sport tourer. Then:Lava Grey A3 Sportback S-line 2.0TFSI Quattro, S-line Special Edition, Xenon Plus, Leather, Light and Rain Pack, Interior light Pack, Bose, DVD Nav+, Bluetooth, Multifunction wheel,Cruise, Heated Front Seats, Folding Mirrors, Rear Parking Sensor and some other bits.

Controversial & Contradictive

Status
    I had my windscreen replaced on insurance by autoglass, and I insisted on oem. They fitted oem.
    53 A4 2.5TDi Quattro Sport 180 Tiptronic. Heated Buffalino leather, DVD Sat Nav RNS-E, TV, Bluetooth, 6 cd, BOSE, Colour DIS, Cruise Control, Auto lights and mirrors, Interior light pack, Heated mirrors.

Neutral

Status
    autoglass do fit OEM...

2nd Gear

Status
    With a choice of green band or graduated tint aswell as plain, depending on the oem options.
    Silver 2007 S3

6th Gear

Status
    Yes but it will never be as good as the factory fitted screen.

The other thing to watch out for on a 700 mile car is damage, I haven't had a screen fitted yet to a car where you didn't end up with some kind of paint damage. Usually only slight scratching, but no matter how good the tech that fits it, there is risk by the nature of what he is doing.

I had a chip on the screen of the A3 done last week, not perfect, but I'd rather that then have a new screen.

IMHO

Paul
    2011 (MY12) Skoda Octavia II FL VRS Manual Hatch 2.0Tsi in Race Blue.
    Gone not forgotten -
    2005 Black A3 (8P1) S-Line 2.0TDi DSG. Eibach Pro Springs, Koni FSD shocks and a few bling bits inside.
    Revo 99 GTi Turbo, too much to list mod wise.
    92 Golf Gti Mark 2 16V.

VCDS HEX-USB+CAN

5th Gear

Status
    yeh thats what im thinking - it does seem quite brutal to what they have to do to get the old screen out!

I've never had a windscreen replaced on a car yet but i can imagine it not being as good as new, just as paint repairs never are.