just my luck

steve184

Reaction score
Had a mark on my windscreen for a few weeks now - like a smear about 15cm long following the curve of the wiper travel - thought it was just a bit of grease or something that the wipers couldn't shift - washed it today and polished the glass to get the bug splats off n stuff and turns out this mark is a bloomin scratch in the glass!!!!! car only got 700 miles on it!

Damn!

Can light scratches in glass be sorted? Or is this my first flaw i have to live with for the few years? Its a pain because its so large and right in my field of vision so on a bright sunny day it doesn't half stand out!

cheers

have you tried a good glass polish?

Hey Steve any news about the wobbling Xenons?

Hope I have better luck with mine, picking it up next Wednesday....

Pedro

you can polish the scratch out with some cutting paste and a hand polisher machine.

any ideas what would be suitable without making it worse? I've tried some turtlewax glass polish but it may be too mild. Problem is you can just about feel it with your fingernail so i suspect no amount of polishing will bring it out

Pedro - not had it in yet - suppsoed to go last week but i cudnt get time off work (its a pain takin car in garage for me) supposed to be taking it in tomorrow however ive just given it a good clean today so now im not sure cos no doubt the garage will muck it all up again even if its just to work under the bonnet wit the lights and the door handle

may be worthwhile breaking the window and paying the excess for a new one

A3simon said:
may be worthwhile breaking the window and paying the excess for a new one

I'd second that or at least phone autoglass and see what they say. Just don't give your reg in case they say it's irreparable and you need to contact them later in the week or whenever...

We always used to do this with our vans, claw hammer. Used to do it when we did not want to go to jobs as well... :whistle2:

Best way is to hit it with the teeth of a hacksaw blade kind of whip it. Totally shatters the whole window lol

Autoglass won't fit an OE window though it will be a patern copy by a cheaper company. Plus the window will never be fitted as well as it was from the factory. It may not bother some but if my car had only 700 miles on it I would pay the extra to buy an original window from Audi, although that will be big money.

With a choice of green band or graduated tint aswell as plain, depending on the oem options.

Yes but it will never be as good as the factory fitted screen.

The other thing to watch out for on a 700 mile car is damage, I haven't had a screen fitted yet to a car where you didn't end up with some kind of paint damage. Usually only slight scratching, but no matter how good the tech that fits it, there is risk by the nature of what he is doing.

I had a chip on the screen of the A3 done last week, not perfect, but I'd rather that then have a new screen.

IMHO

Paul

yeh thats what im thinking - it does seem quite brutal to what they have to do to get the old screen out!

I've never had a windscreen replaced on a car yet but i can imagine it not being as good as new, just as paint repairs never are.