S3 2007 Remaps

AL_B

Reaction score
Hi,

Been researching the remapping possibilities for the new S3, but with switchable functionality.

As we know one of the guys on here already has the MTM map from QSTuning.

I'm also aware that Star Performance have listed on their web-site a remap for the S3 - but it isn't switchable yet.

I decided to have a look at the Superchips site. (not sure what their reputation is these days, but people on here seem happy with the regular 2.0TFSI Bluefin). Anyway, Bluefin is available for the 2007 S3 already!

www.superchips.co.uk

If you download the Power Curve PDF, it looks a smoother power and torque curve than standard! But with 310bhp and 348Nm.

I notice REVO have a new switching dongle for TFSI engines, called Select. No indication on their website though as to whether a remap for the S3 is available.

Anyway, I'm sure there will be loads of remaps available soon once tuners have copies of the standard ecu maps.

AL

I like the larger image of the power curves! lol

AL_B said:
Just been reading on UK-MKiv's (can you tell I'm not busy today), I didn't realise that the Golf MKIV Ed30 and Leon Cupra have the same engine as the new S3. Superchips are achieving over 300bhp on them!!!

http://www.superchips.co.uk/curves/VWGolfGTIEdition30.pdf

http://www.superchips.co.uk/curves/2006AudiS320T.pdf

So much for our specially uprated engine for the S3.

The Golf actually has more torque once mapped.

AL

Looking at the two graphs comparing the GTi Ed 30 and the S3, there are a lot of positives for the S3 over the Gti.

The power delivery looks slightly smoother and through a greater range, plus a smoother drop-off in torque and BHP at the end of the rev range.

But the two main things for me are: How will you get 300+plus BHP thorugh the wheels and not torque steer/spin, and secondly hasn't the S3 gotten stronger engine parts plus a bigger turbo and intercooler than the normal engine to cope with the extra power anyway (I am assuming the GTi hasn't so please correct me if I am wrong).

Adding 80bhp to a car without any other mods would be a risk I wouldn't take while in warranty personally, whether the tuner offers a warranty on the failing parts or not.

....oh yeah, and its still a Golf

As for the Cupra, to quote many mags...how can Seat take a Golf and make it so bad. I used to love the old Cupra but the new one seems so cheap...

I couldn't reccomend superchips enough!

I got the Bluefin jobby and at first like many others i got some misfire problems but the team at superchips did wonders sorting it out and keeping us all updated.

I'd go for superchips just for their service!

Normski,

Thats my question: does the Ed30 and Leon have the same strengthened parts? From what I've read I think people are implying they do.

RobinA3,

Cheers. Is it true Superchips do free updates to the remap as when necessary. A friend of mine had one of the early Focus ST Bluefin maps, the a month or two later they said they had a better map, free of charge, bit more power etc.

Does the Superchips Bluefin take an exact copy of the standard maps? Or does it flash-on the Superchips code, and just swap tables around on the ECU?

AL

Al

I can't see any mention of uprated parts on the Cupra or the Ed 30 in the brochures, where as the S3 brochure makes a big deal about it. Best way to tell may be whether the UL weight of the Ed30 is different by much to the Gti, as I am led to believe that the turbo is a good 30 kilo heavier on the S3 to the normal 2.0TFSI, plus a bigger IC and strenghthened rods etc. must make it heavier still I assume.

This won't be definitive though.

AL_B said:
Normski,

Thats my question: does the Ed30 and Leon have the same strengthened parts? From what I've read I think people are implying they do.

RobinA3,

Cheers. Is it true Superchips do free updates to the remap as when necessary. A friend of mine had one of the early Focus ST Bluefin maps, the a month or two later they said they had a better map, free of charge, bit more power etc.

Does the Superchips Bluefin take an exact copy of the standard maps? Or does it flash-on the Superchips code, and just swap tables around on the ECU?

AL

Yeah Superchips do give free updates, all you have to do is download it and upload it onto the car.

Superchips does take an exact copy of the standard map, when you get the handset it will download the standard map and then sends it to superchips and they mess around with it and then you download it onto the handset and then upload it onto the car.

The S3's engine is totally different in respect to the other 2.0 T on the market, here are the differences:

Compared with its starting version with an output of 147 kW (200 bhp), the 195 kW (265 bhp) engine of the S3 fundamentally represents another leap. Pistons with stronger pins and new rings as well as reinforced connecting rods with new bearings transmit the powerful forces to the crankshaft. The cylinder block has been reinforced at the main-bearing pedestals and the main-bearing cap.

The cylinder head consists of a new, extra-lightweight aluminium-silicon alloy that exhibits high temperature resistance and strength.

The exhaust camshaft timing and the high-pressure injectors with increased cross-section have been adjusted to accommodate the increased power output.

The new turbocharger has a larger turbine and compression rotor than the basic unit. Its cast steel casing – produced as a single piece including the manifold – withstands exhaust gas temperatures of up to 1,050 degrees. The turbocharger generates a boost pressure of 1.2 bar instead of 0.9 bar on the starting version.

An intercooler drastically lowers the temperature of the compressed air, thus increasing the amount of air that is necessary for combustion. Both its housing and the mesh through which the air passes are made from aluminium; the depth of the mesh has been increased, resulting in considerably greater efficiency. The intercooler is capable of an air throughput of up to 850 kilograms per hour or, put another way, over 650,000 litres of air.

The new high-performance turbo engine tips the scales at only 152 kilograms, significantly less than comparable engines from direct competitors – with a positive impact on the axle load distribution and therefore on handling characteristics. With its compact dimensions – it is just 652 mm long, 648 mm wide and 666 mm high – the TFSI is ideal for transverse installation.

Whatever tasks the driver wishes the engine to perform, the powerful TFSI accomplishes them with ease, thanks to its 195 kW (265 bhp) at 6,000 rpm. As a high-performance sports engine, it revs up effortlessly, responds intrinsically well to the throttle and produces strikingly sonorous acoustics. The four-valve engine with undersquare configuration is simultaneously impressive for its powerful traction. It puts 350 Nm of torque onto the crankshaft even at engine speeds as low as 2,500 rpm, and is able to maintain this high level of torque up to 5,000 rpm.

No wonder they took so ****** long bringing out the S3.....

Can anyone post their experiences of the S3 before and after remapping please?

I am taking delivery in early June and would be very interested in the remap once it's done it's first 1000 miles (about a fortnight for me!) if sold on the idea.

I currently drice a BMW 330Cd which I had remapped pretty much straight away and never looked back, until I get the S3 and drive it in all situations it will be difficult to make the comparison. For example the S3 felt quick off the mark but didn't get chance to try the 50 - 70 "pull" which I so like about the 330Cd which has such good torque.

I am getting my S3 Superchipped this week.

I will let you know the before and after results!

Steve

quick before the remap....

very quick after it... I can out accelerate a Porsche Boxter S and the mid range is pretty good as well.

It really does make quite alot of difference being over the 300bhp mark

Wow Jam you know your stuff! Good write up man. There should be a stick of that "S3 Differences"

iam looking into a remap for my edition 30 golf, thought i would visit here to see what you s3 guys are recomending.

ps the edition 30 has the same engine as the new s3, same turbo pistons rods block injectors etc etc blah blah, to be honest its old news but i thought i would clear it up.

going back to the matter, there is a guy on gti forum who has had the bluefin done on his edition 30 and says the results are awesome, also talked to ed at APS today and he has just done one, and is very impressed. oettinger also do a remap, but its £1100. all are around the 310bhp mark but which to get ???? iam very confused. can anyone do a remap chart rundown inc prices and graphs, that would be great

8P S3 has a better intercooler setup than the Seat Leon Cupra or GTI Edition 30 IIRC ...

One of the biggest problems down here in South Africa (besides getting tanked by the Australians in the world cup semi at the 'mo) is summer and the horrific heat-soak it brings with it.

Bring on the larger intercooler. And winter.:icon_thumright:

My sprint blue S3 arrives in 2 weeks guys and gals - one of the first in SA .... have been lurking in the background reading all these fab posts for some time now, and have finally confirmed with my dealer that it's "on boat" and should be docking next week.

Counting down the days ... will have to say a sad farewell to my A4 DTM edition though ... sniff ...:bye:

You're going to love it!
Good luck with the running in period though... 1000 miles of frustraring motoring as all you want to do is put your foot down!

You ordered the best colour too....

yeh i think thats true, all the part numbers are the same apart from the intercooler. i have heard that there isnt much difference in the size, but the end tanks are alluminium instead of plastic on the s3. probably handle more psi than the plastic ones

Welcome to the forum alkee, and thanks for clarifying the engine issue.

Nice motor by the way.

Got any links to where the engine similarities have been discussed before, I fancy a read.

Have to say though, it does p### me off how Audi/VW do this, sharing engines. Nothing is unique to one model any more. You think you are getting something special and they put it into all cars.

If it really is the same engine, surely its a matter of time before its put into the new TT.

Cheers

AL

Yes, the Leon Cupra and the Golf ed.30 have the same engine as the new S3, only the intercooler is better on the S3. And of course, the S3 runs on a different software.

Here are some dyno sheets with the new S3 and the Golf ed.30
S3: http://www.rri.se/popup/performancegraphs.php?ChartsID=735
Golf ed.30: http://www.rri.se/popup/performancegraphs.php?ChartsID=738

And if you have some time, you can take a look at other cars, all measured with the same equipment: http://www.rri.se/index.php?DN=29&List=A-B

P.S. : Al_B don't be said, your S3 is a 4x4 and even if you tune it at +400 BHP it still can put the power down, and of course it will be faster than a Cupra or a GTI ed.30 with the same power.

it isnt the same engine, nothing like the ed/30 or cupra R, cyliner head, intercooler, much more air volume in the turbo on the S3.

I thought the differences I posted above in my long post were exclusive to the S3, thats what the motoring press say and they should have got the official stance.

I thought the edition 30 was just a remapped GTI 2.0T engine?

If it was anything else I'm presuming it would cost alot more than a GTI.

AL_B said:
Welcome to the forum alkee, and thanks for clarifying the engine issue.

Nice motor by the way.

Got any links to where the engine similarities have been discussed before, I fancy a read.

Have to say though, it does p### me off how Audi/VW do this, sharing engines. Nothing is unique to one model any more. You think you are getting something special and they put it into all cars.

If it really is the same engine, surely its a matter of time before its put into the new TT.

Cheers

AL

hi al, we have met before mate, awesome RR day one xmas, i had a TT (BMX)

anyway the info on the engine parts have all been cross referenced on the vag etka parts system. there are many threads about it on the various golf gti forums, but here is the info from the etka

turbocharger
195 KW BHZ (S3) 06F 145,702 C KKK
169 KW BYD (Jubi) 06F 145,702 C KKK

Short block assembly BYD (Jubi) 06F 100,035
Short block assembly BHZ (S3) 06F 100,035

thus block and head also directly.

Intercooler S3 1K0 145,803 P
Intercooler gulf 1K0 145,803 A

hope that helps mate

Oh well, good job none of the S3 drivers want 310bhp through just the front wheels then!

alkee said:
hi al, we have met before mate, awesome RR day one xmas, i had a TT (BMX)

anyway the info on the engine parts have all been cross referenced on the vag etka parts system. there are many threads about it on the various golf gti forums, but here is the info from the etka

turbocharger
195 KW BHZ (S3) 06F 145,702 C KKK
169 KW BYD (Jubi) 06F 145,702 C KKK

Short block assembly BYD (Jubi) 06F 100,035
Short block assembly BHZ (S3) 06F 100,035

thus block and head also directly.

Intercooler S3 1K0 145,803 P
Intercooler gulf 1K0 145,803 A

hope that helps mate

Hello mate. Different sign-in names confuse me. I remember you and your TT. Was that the one with the 19" Sportecs? If so, that car looked superb on those wheels. Surprised you got rid, or have you got that too?

AL

AL_B said:
Was that the one with the 19" Sportecs? If so, that car looked superb on those wheels. Surprised you got rid, or have you got that too?

AL

i sold the TT last year then ordered the edition 30.

sold all the parts seperate, an S3 owner on here bought the 19 inch sportecs from me, fingermouse iirc.

btw i was talking to ed at APS they are talking about getting an s3 or edition 30 as a development car, and really going to town on it, should be interesting ;)

what remap are people on here recomending then so far?

Anyone know if Revo are coming out with an S3 remap anytime soon ?

I've had my current B7 2.0T revo'd and my previous 140kw B6 and the results have been impressive. Much stronger than MTM as dyno results have proved, although I'm a bit concerned that Revo boost a bit too much to get their gains compared to others....

TheWusMan said:
Anyone know if Revo are coming out with an S3 remap anytime soon ?

I've had my current B7 2.0T revo'd and my previous 140kw B6 and the results have been impressive. Much stronger than MTM as dyno results have proved, although I'm a bit concerned that Revo boost a bit too much to get their gains compared to others....

Yes will be out soon, I believe that the mapping has been done.

Contact your local Revo dealer for clarification.

Paul

As I said above I cannot recommend the Superchips map enough. The car is much better to drive and the performance is nothing short of astonishing.

The guy who fitted it for me will do deals so you can reduce the cost aswell. It does seem to be more economical as well.

I have had Revo on a 1.8T before and that map is very quick but I do have a nagging feeling about over boosting and at least with Superchips you get a warranty covering any damage caused by the map.

Steve

alot of people on other forums slag superchips off. have they improved ? did you get your s3 on a rolling road, do you have a dyno plot steve?

I think they get slagged off because their remapping is not custom something which people "must have" nowadays and their power figures not as high as other tuners.

Suppose this may be why they offer a warranty as they are more reliable in terms of your car blowing up from being too highly stressed??