Audi a3/s3 8p Facelift ???

Mo

Reaction score
Alright guys !
I just read (on this site) that a facelift for the entire A3/S3 range is planned for 2008 !! Has anyone else heard anything ? Im just about to fork out £28000 for a new S3 which is on order and reading this has put me off bigtime. When i got my first car (1.6i corsa sport 16V!!!!), lol, the new model came out 5 months later. Then when i got my current Golf GTTDI, the new mark V arrived 7 months later after me being assured that it wasnt being released for 2 years. Its ********, paying for a new car for it to be old news less than a year later.

Basically, has anyone else heard anything and what are your thoughts on it all.

ps. im still buying it.

I spoke to my dealer yesterday and he said that he had not yet heard about anything happening for the A3 for the 2008 model year starting in June 2007, but he doubted that any major changes were happening.

He certainly knew nothing about any facelift. Perhaps it will come in the 2009 model year beginning in June 2008 - at least 12 months away.

Where did you 'read about it'.

If you like the present car, what does it matter if they change it in 12, 24 or 36 months time. You may prefer the existing version to the new one. There will be a new A3 out at some time.

There were more details in this weeks Auto Express about the new Golf 6 and sales of that will not start until Autumn 2008. Also there is a new Audi A1 due out in the not too distant future.

i doubt very much that a dealer will tell you whether or not a facelift is due. Their sales targets are the same whether there's a facelift due or not - could you imagine trying to sell a car when its due to be facelifted in 6 months?

He is a friend as well and he knows full well that he's just sold me a new 2007 A3 Sportback, the 6th A3 I've bought from him. He also know I change my car every 2-3 years and that in the past I got him to find me a 8L after the 8P was released because I preferred it at the time.

So I trust him to tell me the truth!

Thing is that the A3 has had its facelift therefore i would expect Audi to launch a whole new A3 rather than another facelift.

Mo said:
Alright guys !
I just read (on this site) that a facelift for the entire A3/S3 range is planned for 2008 !! Has anyone else heard anything ? Im just about to fork out £28000 for a new S3 which is on order and reading this has put me off bigtime. When i got my first car (1.6i corsa sport 16V!!!!), lol, the new model came out 5 months later. Then when i got my current Golf GTTDI, the new mark V arrived 7 months later after me being assured that it wasnt being released for 2 years. Its ********, paying for a new car for it to be old news less than a year later.

Basically, has anyone else heard anything and what are your thoughts on it all.

ps. im still buying it.

I just hate it when that happens!! Think of the 2003/04/05 A3 owners like me.... yes the glory days of the 2nd generation it's like calling it version 2.1... then a couple of months later, a whole new grille in one piece! version 2.2! I just spent 24k and it looked old in just a few months!!

H5jdr...its happened to me with all my cars and although at the time i prefered both my old models to the newer ones, it was a bit of a dissapointment as i did ask. If he told me i might be driving an R32. Maybe it has to happen to you for your whole driving life to understand. I love the new S3 and im sure it'll keep me more than amused for the next 3-4 yrs, especially after its MTM'd.
I was driving an S3 last night and loved every second, really powerful but very smooth too. It had your wheels RobinA3 they look top notch, i was tempted to spec them but i have my eye on some BBS's. I drove an old S4 which wasnt the nicest to drive around town so i was suprised how smoother the S3 was lower down the revs.

Thanks for the replies

Rumour I've heard is that the A3 cab will have a slight facelift over current A3's. This facelift will then roll out over the rest of the A3 range. It might be just something as simple as different bumper style or slightly different styled lights. I wouldn't worry about it. It's the nature of these businesses to do stuff to keep products fresh so sales stay high.

JK

Certainly cannot see another facelift for the A3, as RobinA3 has already stated it has had one which was in 2006. In my experience cars only get one facelift in there lifetime. I cannot see the A3 being replaced until 2009 at the earliest as the A4 is to be replaced in 2008. The models appear to have a lifespan of approx 7-8 years so that would take us until 09/10.
If you worried too much about new models (which I do ) you would never change your car.

Mark

I seem to recall reading that an all-new A3 will appear for MY 2010 (ie. from June 2009). So, that being 2 yrs away, it would seem likely that they may make a few tweaks to the current model this year.

The 3-door has had a facelift, but only to bring it into line with the Sportback, so I think a slight revision across the range is possible.

Rumour I've heard is that the A3 cab will have a slight facelift over current A3's

Yes, again when I spoke to my dealer yesterday, he confirmed that there was a A3 convertable due out later this year.

If they facelift the A3 aren't they gonna have to do it to every model? As every audi in the range has the same grill. And they were all facelifted about the same time weren't they?

staz1000 said:
If they facelift the A3 aren't they gonna have to do it to every model? As every audi in the range has the same grill. And they were all facelifted about the same time weren't they?
If they are going to tinker with anything on the A3, I reckon it's most likely to be the rear end - this has received the most criticism for being dull/dated etc. Freshening this up with something like redesigned light units would probably see the A3 through to its replacement in 2009/10.

Spook said:
If they are going to tinker with anything on the A3, I reckon it's most likely to be the rear end - this has received the most criticism for being dull/dated etc. Freshening this up with something like redesigned light units would probably see the A3 through to its replacement in 2009/10.
yeah it'd be nice if they did the same as the type r facelift in 04. New rear lights, new front splitter and side repeaters on the wing mirrors

Manufactures normally launch the ultimate performace model just before the end of the model life. Look at the old golf and the R32, the current Golf and the R36, ect. The S3 may be that model for the A3.

But I never want one of the first of a new model, the last of the old model are always the best because they have had all the bugs ironed out over their 7-8 year production run.

I have not seen any spy shots of the new A3 yet.

Chris.

Are we sure there is going to be an R36??
The mkV R32 was released relatively early in the model life though.

I'm still hoping to see the RS3 :hubbahubba:

HeliChris said:
I have not seen any spy shots of the new A3 yet.
Report on new A3:
Quoted from www.motorauthority.com, posted 5th Feb 07

"Audi won’t be launching the new A3 hatch until 2009 at the earliest but until then we have these renderings of the new car, which show the next-generation A3 is likely to adopt the more aggressive lines that we’ve seen in recent spy images of various Audi models. The most dramatic change over the current model are the new slanted headlights and a much sleeker profile that leads to the TT-style rear. Taut side panels, reminiscent of those seen in spy pictures of the upcoming A5 coupe, give the car a much more muscular and streamlined look.
The new A3 will be available in both three- and five door configurations, but a new coupe and cabriolet model will follow soon after the release of the hatch. Expect most of the current engine options to carry over, including the sporty S3 model complete with a 265bhp (195kW) version of the 3.2L V6. Audi is also believed to be developing another sportback Avant model, as well as the small Q3 soft-roader that will be based on the same platform as the next A3.
Like the current A3, the new model will also share its underpinnings with its cousin, the Volkswagen Golf, also due for replacement by 2009. This means the A3 misses out on Audi’s latest modular platform being developed for the next-generation A4 due early next year. However, the new hatch will sport the latest version of Audi’s quattro all-wheel-drive system as well as a revised six-speed manual, ‘multitronic’ continuously variable transmission or the S-tronic DSG dual-clutch system in some models.
Audi confirmed at a press event at its home in Ingolstadt in 2006 it would launch a 2+2 cabriolet version of the current A3 in 2008 in the lead-up to the new model. This drop-top model as well as a new coupe version will be in direct competition with BMW’s upcoming 2-series range of models. The final production version is scheduled to be unveiled at next month’s Geneva Motor Show."

[URL="http://www.motorauthority.com/wp-content/uploads/Audi/A3/Spy/AUDI_A3_v_2009.jpg"][/URL]

That's a mash of about 5 different audis lol but looks pretty smart

mcmasman said:
Expect most of the current engine options to carry over, including the sporty S3 model complete with a 265bhp (195kW) version of the 3.2L V6.
You what?!!:jester:

Autoexpress this week previewed the A3 cabriolet due next year and said that it would "preview" some of the styling changes of the new model due to be announced in late 2008.

The main change with the cabriolet is a higher bonnet line, to provide the new stricter pedestrian crash protection standards - so that when they bounce on the bonnet, they don't hit any hard engine bits underneath.

In the preview picture, you could just about tell that it had a different, more bulbous bonnet, but everything else looked the same as the current hard-top.

The front looks far more aggresive than the current model.....not sold on the rear though but i am fussy about my rear ends

The picture is a total mock-up, and why would the new S3 have a 3.2L engine producing little more than the standard 3.2.

Sounds like complete ******** for the sake of a story to me.

normski said:
and why would the new S3 have a 3.2L engine producing little more than the standard 3.2.

Sounds like complete ******** for the sake of a story to me.

I had to read it twice but it's actually saying the range would include the current S3 engine, and would also be completed with a 265bhp version of the 3.2 - two seperate things, not that a new S3 would be a 3.2.

Btw love most of the styling in the mock-up, roof line, side skirts, but the slanty lights don't do it for me - gradually creeping more towards the recent beamers in style, which I don't like.

markwiggy said:
Certainly cannot see another facelift for the A3, as RobinA3 has already stated it has had one which was in 2006. In my experience cars only get one facelift in there lifetime. I cannot see the A3 being replaced until 2009 at the earliest as the A4 is to be replaced in 2008. The models appear to have a lifespan of approx 7-8 years so that would take us until 09/10.
If you worried too much about new models (which I do ) you would never change your car.

Mark

Exactly what i was going to say.:icon_thumright:

HeliChris said:
But I never want one of the first of a new model, the last of the old model are always the best because they have had all the bugs ironed out over their 7-8 year production run.

'Stroo

****. I'm agreeing with Plank too!

These pics are on TS too and I reckon it looks ****** awful but there you go.

They are just mocked photoshop pics, Auto Express always do this, they did it with the new S3 and just mocked up a new A3 (8P) as it was then and the outgoing S3 (8L) of the time.

All this nearly a year and a half before it came out!

I prefer the rear end on that pic. Not sold on the front but overall still looks very nice!!

I think it looks great, Freshened up n'all. although there is nothing wrong with the current one.

Still wouldnt let it stop me from buying a current model, even it was confirmed by audi they were changing it. Especially the S3 version. As previously mentioned, all the gremlins and problems ironed out already, amazing performance, looks fantastic, wont depreciate that much, even if a new model was released.
Cant really go wrong ordering the current S3 - just look at how many very happy new S3 owners are on here raving about their purchase.

jamiekip said:
Rumour I've heard is that the A3 cab will have a slight facelift over current A3's. This facelift will then roll out over the rest of the A3 range. It might be just something as simple as different bumper style or slightly different styled lights. I wouldn't worry about it. It's the nature of these businesses to do stuff to keep products fresh so sales stay high.

JK

some sites are saying the A3 cab will actually be based on the next gen platform and will be the first VAG car on the 'golf 6' platform, it looks like
it will definitely be a bit different from the current A3, when the main A3 is changed to the same platform is a different thing.

markwiggy said:
Certainly cannot see another facelift for the A3, as RobinA3 has already stated it has had one which was in 2006. In my experience cars only get one facelift in there lifetime.....
Although the Sportback hasn't changed since it was introduced in 2004, so it is overdue for a facelift.

mfspen said:
Although the Sportback hasn't changed since it was introduced in 2004, so it is overdue for a facelift.

Sorry, I always forget about the sportback, :asskicking: but your correct and maybe it will get a little makeover. Still don't think they will touch the 3 door, or maybe thats just wishful thinking.

Mark

Even if they retouch the 3-door that is going to really worry me when driving my new S3.... I'm not sure I'll be able to live with that!!

Better kill myself....

Pedro

P.S.: Not talking about myself but the dealer was close to be KIA (killed in action!!) It was a close call but they managed it before I pulled the trigger...

The only face lift the S3 needs is an **** lift...new lights please Audi...thank you

normski said:
The only face lift the S3 needs is an **** lift...new lights please Audi...thank you

Certainly Mr Normski, available from build ''week 19'' :)

He! He!

Mark

normski said:

Get your rear LED lights sorted, when you do I'll see if I approve then buy some for myself too!

markwiggy said:
Certainly Mr Normski, available from build ''week 19'' :)

He! He!

Mark

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest...

Jam, I think I am gonna have to get them if only to give you all a laugh...

Did you spot my post on your thread about your silver S3 pics mate?

Yes mate I did, just give me a ring and we can sort something out.

Getting the bluetooth phone prep integrated with my RNS-E sat nav on fri!