Monster MotorsportChris Nott

Thread: Stone Chip

6th Gear

Status

Stone Chip

I washed the car last week and while chamoising it down I found a scratch on the bonnet from a stone chip. It is about the size of two grains of rice and probably too deep to fix with a quick polish I reckon.

What's the best way to get rid of this (DIY method preferably). Can I buy a small pot of paint from Audi to fix it?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    Try posting this in the Detailing section - some of the professional detailers will be able to offer advice. On one of their threads, I saw a repair made of a deep scratch but I can't recall how they did it.

Oh and dump the chamois and get a microfibre towel. The chamois will eventually leave loads of swirl marks in the paint.
    2004 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI SE, RNS-E Sat Nav SW0650 TMC, 17" Star Alloys, Xenons, DIS, Rear Mats & Sunblind, Alu trim, Ebony Black pearlescent
    2006 Honda Accord EX i-CTDI, Arctic Blue, Leather, Sat Nav, XCarLink

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcQuinlivan
    I washed the car last week and while chamoising it down I found a scratch on the bonnet from a stone chip. It is about the size of two grains of rice and probably too deep to fix with a quick polish I reckon.

What's the best way to get rid of this (DIY method preferably). Can I buy a small pot of paint from Audi to fix it?
    Hi same happened to my A3.... got a chip little bit smaller in size though...
    I bought the Genuine Audi Touch up paint kit you get 1x paint and 1x lacquer.. cost 5.15 from the dealer

Done a great job just need steady hand and a bit of time .. took a couple of coats of paint over a few days then the a coat of lacquer , then just polish it back .... looks very good for a DIY joc...
    2007 Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 Tdi (170) DPF, S-Line,DSG S-Tronic, Akoyo Silver, 18"Alloys Audi RS4 Design, RNS-E 2007 TMC, Rear Parking Sensors,Bose Sound System,6 CD Changer,Black Leather Sport Seats,Auto Folding Mirrors,Tyre Pressure Sys,+ More....

3rd Gear

Status
    Or if you have Halfords over there then their kits are very good. The little 'pen' thing is much more precise than a brush.

A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line

Gone...and quite quickly forgotten

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveywolves
    I bought the Genuine Audi Touch up paint kit you get 1x paint and 1x lacquer.. cost 5.15 from the dealer

Done a great job just need steady hand and a bit of time .. took a couple of coats of paint over a few days then the a coat of lacquer , then just polish it back .... looks very good for a DIY joc...
    presumably the car needs to be garaged for the duration?

1st Gear

Status
    did it last week the weather been really good no rain etc.. so just did it at home...
    2007 Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 Tdi (170) DPF, S-Line,DSG S-Tronic, Akoyo Silver, 18"Alloys Audi RS4 Design, RNS-E 2007 TMC, Rear Parking Sensors,Bose Sound System,6 CD Changer,Black Leather Sport Seats,Auto Folding Mirrors,Tyre Pressure Sys,+ More....

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveywolves

Just ordered the kit from my dealer. 5.75 inc vat.

1st Gear

Status
    My red S3 caught a deep chip after only 350 miles. I used the Audi red and it is a good match.
    Build it up gradually over a few days using the finest paint brush you can find. Model shops are often a good source of these ultra fine brushes.

prt