Got 41.5mpg out of my car this weekend (pics)

RobinA3

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Drove down from cheshire to oxfordshire this weekend and got a massive 41.5mpg over 120miles, one hour and 45mins of driving and an average speed of 51mph.

Went on the M6 ->M42 -> M40 and stuck to around 75-80mph.

fuel3.jpg

fuel2.jpg

fuel1.jpg

Drove back up before and got stuck in VERY VERY heavy traffic (2hr journey became 3hrs!) and got 35.6mpg in stop and start traffic jam.

Quite impressive if i say so myself!

So you thought you'd take photos of it while driving at 40mph?

Smart.

Well for your info 'PLANK' my GF took the pics as she was in the passenger seat.

That really is impressive, especially as you've got quattro and running on 18s. Did you use cruise control for any of the journey? That should help MPG.

I did use the cruise for around 10miles during variable speed limit zones but cruise control actually uses more fuel as it is trying to maintain a constant speed.

RobinA3 said:
...but cruise control actually uses more fuel as it is trying to maintain a constant speed.

Surely that's a 'is it half empty or half full' argument...

If you are trying to maintain a constant speed without cruise control, then you are just as likely to go over the desired speed as you are likely to go under it - therefore my post will surely make some sense to someone? :readit:

RobinA3 said:
I did use the cruise for around 10miles during variable speed limit zones but cruise control actually uses more fuel as it is trying to maintain a constant speed.
I second that. Saw it on Top Gear once when JC drove an A8 from London to Edinburgh and back to London in one tank of fuel. He also mention that cruise control actually use more fuel.

I find cruise uses more too.

:edit:

Useful post again I see 'Plank'.

Cruise control uses more fuel because it works on a closed loop system, the throttle is never at the same position as it is opening and closing all the time compensating for every little change in speed of the car.

I got that sort of mpg or a little more (43mpg) when I drove from Home to Somerset (240 miles) a few weeks ago and that was with an average speed on 74mph. Stayed at around 80-90mph on the M4 and M5 except around Bristol which was a little slower. I have cruise control as standard but I normally only use it when in speed limit areas of roadworks on the motorway.

But mine is a 170bhp diesel !!!

Looking forward to my 1000 mile trip each way to Austria in June going through France and Germany. I think the average speed in Germany may be a little higher, but at least Diesel is only 73p/litre in France, 79p in Germany and 68p in Austria. Quite a bit cheaper than Unleaded which is 86p/litre in France, 92p in Germany and 76p in Austria.

Would love to have a drive to the dolomites, never get anything near 43mpg. 33mpg is the best I have ever had

32 best I have ever had on the S3!

Looking normally around 27mpg, who said the FSI was more fuel efficient....

JamS3 said:
32 best I have ever had on the S3!

Looking normally around 27mpg, who said the FSI was more fuel efficient....

I only get 28 in my current 1.8T Passat, so would think that is pretty damn good.

RobinA3 said:
Well for your info 'PLANK' my GF took the pics as she was in the passenger seat.

Yeah, you can really tell by the angle the pictures were taken from, that they were taken by the passenger!

Your GF must think you're a laugh a minute to be with!... "Here luv, can you take some pictures of my fuel computer!" :faint:

rich1068 said:
Useful post again I see 'Plank'.

Cheers :arco:

Plank said:
Yeah, you can really tell by the angle the pictures were taken from, that they were taken by the passenger!

Your GF must think you're a laugh a minute to be with!... "Here luv, can you take some pictures of my fuel computer!" :faint:

Cheers :arco:

Do you try to annoy people Plank?

No, but I have a very low tolerance level ;-)

Ok bring the topic back in I managed 37.1 mpg today!

Not bad eh?

Wasn't even trying just had a early start and was just sticking to motorway speeds for a 25-30 mile journey.

How about this?

Image006.jpg

The secret of great fuel economy? Having the space saver on, not being able to go over 50 mph and generally driving like a pussy because you're scared of losing control at any moment :(

Soot power... ;)

Return journey over the weekend from Cheshire to Aviemore and back, 700 miles round trip, average speed on the DIS of 70mph and mainly sitting between 80- and a bit more lol!
Averaged 56.2mpg for the whole return trip, not bad for a 190BHP Bluefinned soot chucker... :thumbsup:

RobinA3 said:
Drove down from cheshire to oxfordshire this weekend and got a massive 41.5mpg over 120miles, one hour and 45mins of driving and an average speed of 51mph.

Went on the M6 ->M42 -> M40 and stuck to around 75-80mph.

Quite impressive if i say so myself!

Freaky! I did exactly the same journey at the weekend and got 58.6mpg in my 170 diesel. Average speed only 47 though ... i've found that sticking between 75 and 80 seems to give the best results.

Beddie said:
Soot power... ;)

Return journey over the weekend from Cheshire to Aviemore and back, 700 miles round trip, average speed on the DIS of 70mph and mainly sitting between 80- and a bit more lol!
Averaged 56.2mpg for the whole return trip, not bad for a 190BHP Bluefinned soot chucker... :thumbsup:

Not sure about the swear filter on here but... ****!! That's ****** ridiculous!

Hmm. No swear filter. Interesting...

rich1068 said:
Not sure about the swear filter on here but... ****!! That's ****** ridiculous!

Hmm. No swear filter. Interesting...

Hehe Rich, i was trying (and failing lol) to take it easy to try and save some cash so i can buy those dodgy silver mirrors and that half a grill of ya mate! :laugh:

rich1068 said:
Ah well. Fair play. Take it easy with that right foot then...

Will do mate, although Mrs Beddie thinks your a bad influence on me...

First you turn up at the uk-mkivs mega meet and i fall in love with your car, end up buying my own..

Then you turn up at the Superchips day with a black grille and the LED light thingy, you can guess where this is going... lol! :laugh:

Just need you to buy a set of 19" BBS Ck's now please mate...:)

Consider it done. Anything to help out a fellow member in distress.

I averaged 65.2MPG in my little Fabia coming to work yesterday over the hills :)
The best I got was 71MPG
I love my little car £35.00 of diesel will do 550 ish miles
Sarah

AwesomeSarah said:
I averaged 65.2MPG in my little Fabia coming to work yesterday over the hills :)
The best I got was 71MPG
I love my little car £35.00 of diesel will do 550 ish miles
Sarah

I managed 14 miles yesterday on my 1994 GT Talera MTB, only having to fill up on two pints of dry cider half way.

My 9yr old son managed the same distance on half a pint of diet coke and a Yorkie, now that's what I call economy. :arco:

Beddie said:
Soot power... ;)

[URL="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v84/beddie/dis_1.jpg"][/URL]

Now I can understand you wanting to post that one! Kudos.

But I still don't get why anyone would want to post, not one, but three photos just to prove they'd got 41.5mpg! I used to get that out of my old Volvo V70-T5! (260bhp) and that was a considerably bigger and heavier car) whoopee!

once a tit always a tit

if you don't like the fact that i posted 3 pics then don't read the post.

and if you don't like my reply, don't read my reply :moa:

Why is it when someone even mentions their mega 2.0TFSI fuel economy the diesel crew have to just in and throw in a few of their pics!? No offense but I don't really care how good diesels are at burning oil. If I did I would've got one.

But I do appreciate 41.5! That's better than I've ever got Robin :icon_thumright:

Edit: I really am against blatantly calling people names on this forum, and always cringe when someone does it, but Plank you really are an annoying tit.

staz1000 said:
Why is it when someone even mentions their mega 2.0TFSI fuel economy the diesel crew have to just in and throw in a few of their pics!? No offense but I don't really care how good diesels are at burning oil. If I did I would've got one.

But I do appreciate 41.5! That's better than I've ever got Robin :icon_thumright:

Edit: I really am against blatantly calling people names on this forum, and always cringe when someone does it, but Plank you really are an annoying tit.

Oh for gods sake Staz, stop bandwagoning it! You're like the unpopular kid at school, hiding behind the popular kid saying "yeah, what he said"!

My original post was a dig at the OP for taking photos of his dash while driving at 40mph (hardly a smart thing to do by anyone's reckoning). The OP then said it was his GF that took it (despite the photos blatantly being taken from the angle of the drivers seat) so I had a tongue in cheek bit of banter, suggesting it was a bit of a nerdy thing to ask your girlfriend to do.

As for the diesel range, just because you're not interested, why do you assume nobody else is interested? Do you speak for everyone on here? Personally, 750 miles is pretty damn good, regardless of whether it's fuelled by Petrol, Diesel, Chip oil or a flux capacitor.

:p