quattro transmission fluid change

oldlaw

Reaction score
My car is just over 2 years old and has done 15000 miles. As the service book says the transmission fluid needs changed at 20000miles,it does not say it needs changed at 2 years. Is this correct. Do I need it changed at 2 years or can I wait till 20000miles?

Transmission at 20k? That's a new one on me. I was only looking at the service manual the other day and I didn't spot that.

My car has just had its first service at 8k miles and it’s done that over the first 12months. I wouldn't be suprissed if the next service consisted of the haldex oil change.

Just checked service book and as Rich says 40k. Phew saved a few pounds their. How much is it at dealers?

I thought Haldex oil is changed at 20k and the Haldex filter is changed at 40k?

Not looked in the book so may be wrong but I'm sure my old S3 was like this and not checked my book for my new one yet!

Not on the 8L S3 it wasnt!

You dont change the fuel filter every time you fill up!

Mt 2.0 TFSI Q is going in for 1st service next week (14000 miles)dealer suggested might be worth doing haldex at same time as it has to be done at 20,000 I said no thanks will wait till I have done 20,000 thank you:hubbahubba:

Right then. Got the book.

Audi Service Schedule. Page 10 (Additional Work). Changing oil in Haldex coupling. Model: A3 quattro / Engine versions: n/a / Mileage: 60,000 km (40,000 miles)

Absolutely no mention anywhere of filters. Just oil. At 40k.

haldex oil is changed at 20k and the filter at 40k

dsg oil and filter are due at 40k hope this clears this up

rich1068 said:
So the service book is wrong?

Possibly!

Sometimes things are missed by mistake and bulletins are printed to add to the service book, plus they don't exactly make it easy to break down model by model and what needs doing in the service book.

I'm still certain as said above Haldex oil change at 20k and Haldex filter at 40k!

JamS3 said:
Possibly!

Sometimes things are missed by mistake and bulletins are printed to add to the service book, plus they don't exactly make it easy to break down model by model and what needs doing in the service book.

I'm still certain as said above Haldex oil change at 20k and Haldex filter at 40k!

There have been earlier reports in this forum that whilst the 8L models needed a Haldex oil change at 20k miles, the Haldex II unit used in 8P models doesn't need the oil changing until 40k miles. The current handbook for the 8P model shows an oil change not before 40k and when I had the first AVS service for mine last October at 18k+ miles, the dealer made no mention of the Haldex oil change despite my querying the need for any other service items at 20k miles (they *did* mention the brake fluid change but that is all).

As I understand it, Audi main dealers feed your VIN into their computer and get a detailed schedule sent to them direct from Audi whenever they carry out a service. I'm content to stick with 40k as per the handbook.

just dropped my A3 in for 1st service after being told last week haldex change at 20000 and being asked if I wanted it done at 13000 was told today 40000 miles before change on the new A3 (same dealer bit worrying does the left hand know what the right is doing)
Or was it my Hampshire accent and no suit lol

dipstic said:
just dropped my A3 in for 1st service after being told last week haldex change at 20000 and being asked if I wanted it done at 13000 was told today 40000 miles before change on the new A3 (same dealer bit worrying does the left hand know what the right is doing)
Or was it my Hampshire accent and no suit lol

I suspect that confusion arises from the early 8p models needing the oil to be changed at 20k in the same way as 8L models. The requirements changed in June 2004 which, I believe, was when the new Haldex II differential was introduced and was coincidental (?) with the introduction of the Sportback. All A3 8p Quattro versions built after June 2004, as I understand it, now use the new Haldex II differential and have their oil changed at 40k miles. I emphasise that this is what I have read elsewhere and I cannot claim to know this definitively!

Perhaps this is why dealers will try to be non-committal until they have actually checked your VIN with Audi's computer system?

Thought I'd revive this one.

I had a leaflet through the post today from the stealer saying 'Our records show that your Audi is now due a quattro transmission fluid change.' Obviously they're guessing but I thought I'd call just to confirm what the service book says. As already stated, this isn't due until 40k.

Makes me wonder why they think I'm doing 40k a year though.

They don't give up. They've just called me to say my 'quattro transmission fluid change' is due. No it isn't said I. Not for another 20k miles.

Now I'm wondering how many people they call, get them to book it in and then go through the whole thing again at 40k.

Just had my first service at 2 years old and 18k miles. Mine is a 2006 MY 3.2, registered Sept 2005. Only things that were done were pollen filter and brake fluid change (a 2 year thing). The Haldex is due at 40k and is about £70 or so. The service book is also very clear that it only needs to be done at 40k.