Annoying!!!

rich1068

Reaction score
So I detailed the car last weekend, washed it again yesterday, it looked superb, got up this morning, nice nail through the sidewall on the front o/s tyre that I must have picked up yesterday :mad: so it's on with the ****** stupid looking space saver!!! And obviously this all happens on a holiday weekend when even if you can find a tyre dealer that's open you're looking at Wednesday before they can even get the tyre in stock and fit it.

The other problem I have is that even though I've done nearly 14k on the originals there's still a fair bit on them. It's not like I can really justify getting 2 new tyres. But obviously the other annoying thing is I'll have one brand new one and three part worn! God, I hate space savers!

Mine are Continental Sport Contact 2 225/40 R18 92Y. What would you do?

I would change 2 new tires on the same axle as your car is quattro... Another alternative is to repair the punture on the flat tire but being the sidewall I would not trust the safety of the tire, remember you have a 2.0T....

Pedro

change 2 of the tyres rich

you got no other choice :-(

Unfortunately I know the tyre can't be repaired even without asking. The nail is right on the edge.

So Pedro, you're telling me it has to be two new ones as it's quattro. That sounds like there's a genuine need to do that. Robin, you're saying change both too but is that just because you hate mismatched tyres as much as I do?

Your advice gentlemen?

The fact its quattro makes no difference, the only condition you need to bear in mind with regards to quattro is that the same tyre tread pattern is on both axle sets, so all wheels get the same amount of grip.
That said, its good practice to have the same tyres on all wheels especially the same tyre on the same axle, this is mostly due to the grip characteristics.

forgot to add, you shouldn't have 1 worn tyre on the same axle as a new one, it sucks but change them both mate.

I don't consider myself as a qualified source of information on this, being that I never owned a Quattro (although I hope to, soon ;)) but I don't think there's a problem of running mismatched tires between the axles.

That IS a problem with mechanical AWD systems, like in Subarus.
If your tires are mismatched across axles you will basically "drag" the center differential (being that the front and rear axles are rotating at different velocities).
I don't think it's such of a problem with an Haldex system, though, being that it's normally nearly or completely disengaged and there's a computer that triggers the RWD, not a mechanical assembly.

In any case, you should never run mismatched tires on the same axle. Don't be cheap in stuff like that, especially not in a car you use for fun.

We had a thread about this Haldex quattro some time ago and the conclusion we ended was that Haldex quattro does not require to change all FOUR tires at the same time but was strongly recommended to have the same tire perimeter in the same axle, hence my advice to change both...

Anyway, do as you like, it's your car, if it was me, even if some say that it is not a problem I would still change both as I don't like the idea of one wheel rotating more than the other in the same axle (if perimeters/wear is different one wheel will rotate more than the other in order to cover the same distance.... might be neglegible but....)

Pedro

newbiecrg said:
We had a thread about this Haldex quattro some time ago and the conclusion we ended was that Haldex quattro does not require to change all FOUR tires at the same time but was strongly recommended to have the same tire perimeter in the same axle, hence my advice to change both...

Anyway, do as you like, it's your car, if it was me, even if some say that it is not a problem I would still change both as I don't like the idea of one wheel rotating more than the other in the same axle (if perimeters/wear is different one wheel will rotate more than the other in order to cover the same distance.... might be neglegible but....)

Pedro

i agree

Not sure if you can find second hand tyre where you live. But my first suggestion is to see if you can get a second hand tyre, same spec as what you have now (Continental Sport Contact 2 225/40 R18 92Y). I lived in Queensland, Australia for a few years and they do that alot, you can walk in and basically pick and feel until you are completely satisfy before you buy. They even run a warranty for some k's. It would be perfect for your situation and cost you half of a new tyre.

But if this is not heard of where you live than I would agree with the norm and get 2 new.

Funnily enough I did have a little look on ebay and there were one or two. I know that will horrify some of the people on here but there you go.

I did have a little browse through the manual and it does say that you should try to change two tyres but if it can't be avoided (ie you get a puncture) then it won't do any harm putting on one new one. That brings me back around to the vanity/annoying point again.

Ho hum. Anyway everywhere is shut today so my search continues tomorrow.

Rich,

Had exactly the same situation about 12 months ago only my wheels had been on for 2 days!!! gutting!!!

anyway you could save a few quid by trying Event mobile tyres, I have used them 4 times now and they are cheaper than any "arrive and drive" tyre place.

check em out??

http://www.event-tyres.co.uk/index.php

btw i don't work for them just find them a great service:icon_thumright:

I would just buy the one, then get the same tyre when the other has had it. I'm tight like that.

Hmmm. So d3fy. How many miles have you done on your tyres? <looks around the house for balaclava> You say you're in Sheffield? Lovely city, where abouts exactly? <grabs A-Z> Off out tonight? Lovely weather for a pint down the local. <wonders whether all the A3 locking nuts are the same...>

newbiecrg said:

Pedro

Not read the other post, but I have driven haldex quattro with ESP (8L S3) and with only EDL (8L 1.8TQ) for 7 years. I had to teach myself what you can and can't do in the car and learning before ESP helped me alot.

You definately don't EVER mix tyres from different brands across all 4 wheels. This happened to me and the consequence was going sideways round a roundabout (no ESP on that car). Not funny at all. The tyres were changed very soon afterwards

Having seen 5th gear where a new car with 1.6mm rubber crashed into a old car with 6mm rubber, as it could not stop in time, i'd say its best to keep the car always at 2mm - which I now do.

You do need to keep the tyre pressures checked regularly. My 8L S3 handles so much better at 32 all round if this drops then you really notice its handling degrade, by quite a bit. Keeping the tyre pressure optimal is for me the biggest way to get the best of the 8L S3's drive and handling.

I have never had to change two tyres on the same axle as a result of a puncture/fault on one wheel and would not see a reason to do it, unless they were both worn at the same time. I will agree that the grip across the car improves, but I never noticed it degrade as much compared to incorrect tyre pressure...

Of course this is my experience others may differ. :yes:

rich1068 said:
Hmmm. So d3fy. How many miles have you done on your tyres? <looks around the house for balaclava> You say you're in Sheffield? Lovely city, where abouts exactly? <grabs A-Z> Off out tonight? Lovely weather for a pint down the local. <wonders whether all the A3 locking nuts are the same...>

lol- not much left on mine at all. I will be needing a full set soon, 13k on them

Just change the one tyre! It's not a Ferrari you know! :D

rich1068 said:
Robin, you're saying change both too but is that just because you hate mismatched tyres as much as I do?

Oh yes

I HATE mismatched tyres

So this brings me around to my original point. The annoyance that is three part worn and one brand new tyre :mad:

Christ knows, ignore me.