Symphony II+ owners

steve184

Reaction score
Heres something interesting to try...

Tune a radio station in on one of the first three stations on FM1 presets (left hand side) ok. Now turn the tuning knob so you go slightly off that radio station (start hissing) then turn the knob back so that you re-tune into the station - notice how much louder it is???? Press the preset button again and it goes lower....

I then tried the above on FM2 presets and the volume is fine - following the above procedure shows no difference in volume.

assuming this is not a fault and is simply a glitch on all symphony II+ head units - well done audi for testing this unit well before releasing!!!!!! Was never this problem on the symphony II head units.

Steve

Why on earth would I want to try that. I've tuned in all the buttons and they work. What more do I want.

When you select the presets the radio fades the volume slightly so it will sound initially quieter.

h5djr said:
Why on earth would I want to try that. I've tuned in all the buttons and they work. What more do I want.

Exactly what I was thinking...

Yes southpaw66 i understand that but on mine there is one radio station which does physically sit at a lower volume however if you fiddle with the tuning it goes loud again (as it should) until the next time it is switched on.

Note to the other two replies: if you haven't got anything helpful to say go waste your time elsewhere cos im not interested.

cheers

Sounds like you're the one with plenty of time on your hands to waste...!

i'm not the one posting useless comments on forums - i'm merely asking a reasonable question to do with my car - is this not what this is for???

pillock.

Here's something to try...

is hardly a question. So you've found out that if you play around with your new Symphony II+ is does something that your previous one didn't and you are saying the Audi have not tested it properly. Perhaps they did and it does what it supposed to do. Have you seen a copy of their product requirement and specfication issued to the manufacturers, because the unit are not made by Audi themselves.

As far as I'm concerned mine behaves just the way I would expect it to behave.

*** - ok so i worded it wrongly and it wasn't technically a question - you happy now you have split that particular hair?

No - I am trying to ascertain if it is a fault or is supposed to be like that - why is that such an issue??

As i said earlier to the other chap if you haven't got anything helpful to say then don't bother saying anything! This certainly isn't helpful saying "...well mine works fine so I'm not *****!

I've since realised it only happens with one local radio station so must be some incompatibility with this equipment and that particular station as it never happened with the other one.

This would be a pretty useless forum im afraid if everyone took your attitude - pleased to say most people at least try to help.

I have got something useful and helpful to say... very useful and helpful in many cases as I think you will find from quite a number of forum members including extracts from ETKA and Elsawin to answer members queries.

As far as the Symphony II+ is concerned - my comment is 'It does EXACTLY what I expect it to do'. I don't go around playing with combinations of buttons and switches etc just to find out if I can get something unusual to happen if I play with them in a funny manner. Once a particular button is tuned in to a particular station I just press that button when I want to listern to that station. No need to play with the tuning ever again unless I want to retune the button to a different station.

I thought we used to try and help people on here or offer advice?

Im sure the lad was just worried about his radio and was more or less asking if someone else could try theirs to see if it did the same!

Mine does this and while sitting in traffic i'm sure ALL of use have plenty of time.

I think the radio slightly de-tunes itself whilst the car is moving as the signal varies geographically. I have noticed that the volume decreases and if I push the preset button it increases slightly for a few seconds then goes quieter again.

Im sure the lad was just worried about his radio and was more or less asking if someone else could try theirs to see if it did the same!

Perhaps, but I think he needs to learn how to go about it a little better, rather than immediately saying "well done audi for testing this unit well before releasing!!!!!! Was never this problem on the symphony II head units."

If he had just said something like I've found that if I do this, this and this on my Symphony II+ it does this. Do you think it's a fault as I don't think my previous unit did it. Can someome with a similar unit see if theirs does the same, rather that immediately assuming that Audi have not tested the units before release.

Taking this approach would certainly got a better result from me. I might even have tried it to see if it happened on mine.

I wonder if this is something to do with the speed-sensitive volume. If you've preset a station and listen to it while on the move, you'll naturally set the volume at a level you're happy with and then as the car's speed changes, the volume increases or decreases with it.

If you then leave this preset station to attempt to tune a different station manually, perhaps the volume switches to a different, default value? It could be that when you store a station in the unit's memory, much more information than just the frequency is saved with it including maybe the volume.

I would add that, of the two Audi units I've had in my A3 (original Symphony II and now RNS-E) I have to say I think the radio functionality is a bit disappointing - especially next to the brilliant double-DIN Ford units I used to have in my Puma and Focus. The reception isn't anything to write home about and now, with the RNS-E, the volume always resets to a high level whenever it's switched on. I've recently learnt that this can be changed via Engineering Mode, but haven't looked at it yet.

yes i suspected this at first however i tried turning the gala off altogether and this made no difference - i just dont understand why this happens but it is annoying as you have to have volume half way up to get just a reasonable volume out of the radio - and anyone with BOSE will know half volume when playing a cd is pretty darn loud - so I have to be real careful now switching between the two - didn't have to do that with my old car - so seemed to have gone backwards somewhat in user-friendliness

but for those people that actually tried to shed some light - cheers!