Squeaks, creaks and rattles. Part Two.

rich1068

Reaction score
News!

Well I didn’t want to speak too soon but I don’t think my door seals squeak anymore. Using a degreaser seems to have done the trick. It does appear that any lubricants on the rubber just make the noise worse. Over a couple of weeks I just gave the rubber a wipe over with dilute Fairy or whatever, not too often, just when I remembered. For the last month or so I haven’t had any noises worth remarking on. I have got into the habit of just giving the seals a wipe over with a dry cloth when I wash the car but I do the sills anyway so it’s an extra 30 seconds work.

More news generally. I’ve also been making a concerted effort to sort out rattles. The major part is obviously finding out where they’re coming from so it’s taken me a while.

The passenger speaker grille used to rattle, nothing to do with music being played, it just rattled. So I popped it off and used some thin foam packing sheet to line the outside where it fits into the door. Sorted. As it turned out I also used to get the rear parcel shelf ‘bang’, this was sorted with the Velcro fix that can be found in the FAQs. One of the more irritating noises was a loud rattle from somewhere around the cigarette lighter. It turned out that was the cheap plastic used in the little coin tray next to the handbrake. I sliced a little squeegee rubber, prised the tray to one side slightly and dropped the rubber in. No noise. The last one seemed to yield the best results. I tightened every accessible 8mm nut I could find around the dashboard. There are a few above each foot well and one or two under the covers at the ends of the dash. The difference this made was noticeable as soon as I drove the car.

So there you go. That’s what I’ve been doing. And as the car still looks stunning after last weeks big clean I’m quite chuffed at the moment :)

You mentioned the bang coming from the parcel shelf....ive got a bang or similar noise coming from ther back of my car. It appears when i reverse and then apply the brakes, but the kind of sound it made didnt make me think of the parcel shelf. Thought it sounded a bit more mechanical or that is was coming from somewhere else - difficult to tell exactly.....was yours the same before you velcro'd it ?

Mine just did it on particularly bumpy roads ie all of Sheffield. Yours sounds a bit more serious :(

yes......thats what i was worried about.
Better get it booked into the stealers....still under warranty though....phew !!

phew... until you get to the dealers and they a) can't find the problem for 6 months b) its a known feature no fix c) oh yes that the xyz, not covered I'm afraid....

dont say that -- not had to deal with audi cardiff yet.....
well if they dont sort it i can complain with the best of them.....
hopefully i wont have to.

The boot mat bangs on mine when i go over a speed bump, i think its coz its light and not held down so it 'jumps' when i go over a bump.

I also got a rattle coming from the passenger door but can't find where its coming from.

RobinA3 said:
I also got a rattle coming from the passenger door but can't find where its coming from.

Try popping off the speaker grille :)

Also check the seatbelt height adjuster, had rattle problems with these on the last car.

Vertigo1 said:
Also check the seatbelt height adjuster, had rattle problems with these on the last car.

Yes. I forgot about that one. If you have the adjuster at a certain height the buckle taps against the 'Airbag' badge on the side of the seat.

RobinA3 said:
The boot mat bangs on mine when i go over a speed bump, i think its coz its light and not held down so it 'jumps' when i go over a bump.

That's a known issue with Audi, they have an additional part to stop it happening:

anvil5a.jpg

You've got to love those 'known issues'.

OutLore,

Wile. E . Coyote Auto Accessories? They're good aren't they?

Very carefully!

I just got a small screwdriver worked it under the grille and popped the bottom off first. If the grille looks like it's flexing then you've got the wrong spot, you need to be near one of the clips behind.

When the cars cold and i change gears, once i rev up again the centre console rattles quite badly =/

That fixable?