2.0 TDI (140) Base spec, wheezy underpowerd over prices.... apparently

cjp2k

Reaction score
Well I posted on another forum pics of my car, as this forum is known for slating anyone who buys anything thats not a used mondeo or bmw!

Well i posted pics and was told how stupid to buy new.. probs true that bit

The 140 tdi is crap bottom of the range engine, and got no power
should of got a used 170 tdi etc etc

I love people i dont know shooting me down in flames lol..
So whats everyone elses experince and who agrees about the 2.0TDI (140) lol

The 140 is crap if you don't have bluefin in it :)

If you are chuffed to bits with it, no one elses opinion matters!!!:icon_thumright:

Not sure there' is such a thing as a 'bad' car whether its an Audi, VW, Seat, Ford, Vauxhall these days.

No matter what you buy some will always chirp up and say "FOR THE MONEY you could have bought an x, y, z instead"........... ****** em!!!:)

Good motor! and economical as well!

It is fast enough to everyday driving and should reward you! Good buy mate!

Well, you knew it wasn't a very very fast car when you bought it so you cannot expect 3.0TDI performance off course but it is a good car, I believe!

Enjoy it and don't listen to "if it was me..." just because "it wasn't them...it was you"!!!

Pedro

Cheers guys, yeah i knew it wasnt going to be the fastest car on the road, but its defiently a step up from the 1.6 golf! I am defiently considering bluefin... just warranty issues worry me slightly

Surely you test drove the 140 before buying it? It's no starship, but then few diesels are.

cjp2k said:
as this forum is known for slating anyone who buys anything thats not a used mondeo or bmw!
I take issue with that. Obviously, being an Audi forum, there will be a bias towards anything related to the marque - that's why we're here! But other makes and models aren't teased much at all. See The Cool Wall section for proof and some opinions of other cars.

benw123 said:
Surely you test drove the 140 before buying it? It's no starship, but then few diesels are.

I take issue with that. Obviously, being an Audi forum, there will be a bias towards anything related to the marque - that's why we're here! But other makes and models aren't teased much at all. See The Cool Wall section for proof and some opinions of other cars.

Ben,

Chris is saying that he put up pictures on 'another' forum and had his car choice slated...:happy:

Read twice. post once lol! :)

when i had my 140 i was chuffed to bits with it - thought it was superb in the way it felt powerful yet ws so economical - its the one to go for for best of both worlds - 1.9 for economy and 170 for performance - 140 sits in the middle and is a good choice, far better than a 1.6 or the old NA 2.0FSI which was available at the time (now thats a true waste of time!)

... of course i must also add its worlds apart from the 170 i have now. But you pays your money and you makes your choice!

benw123 said:

No Mate you got me wrong, the forum that I am getting stick on is a general car forum, but there is a a select few on there that only ever reccomend used mondeos and BMWs... probs the way I worded the post lol:friends:

Beddie said:
Ben,

Chris is saying that he put up pictures on 'another' forum and had his car choice slated...:happy:

Read twice. post once lol! :)
Ahhh, fair game - guilty as charged! :readit: Apologies Chris.

I know the forum and the thread.

Ignore [TW]Fox. He's renowned for his hatred of both brand new cars and four cylinder diesels which sort of explains his attitude in that thread. Despite him going on about how you should have got a 170, he still pours scorn on mine periodically and, although he often means in in a joking fashion, it does get tiresome at times.

His main point is that you bought a brand new car when you could have bought a used one with a better spec for the same or less. At the end of the day, he's right and you can't argue with that but if you specifically wanted a brand new car then that's your prerogative and you're entitled to spend your money however you choose, just as he's entitled to his opinion. You'll never convince him that you were "right" to make the decision you did so it's best just to agree to disagree and be done with it really :)

As for the TDI140, I had one for three years until I recently replaced it and found it to be an excellent engine. Not the most refined engine available by any stretch of the imagination but a strong performer with good economy. I tend to agree that the TDI170 is a better unit (but then I would) but it does cost a bit more and economy is a fair bit worse which may well be important to many. If it wasn't then they'd never sell a range of diesel engines and the TDI170 would have replaced the other two completely.

Vertigo1 said:
I know the forum and the thread.

Ignore [TW]Fox. He's renowned for his hatred of both brand new cars and four cylinder diesels which sort of explains his attitude in that thread. Despite him going on about how you should have got a 170, he still pours scorn on mine periodically and, although he often means in in a joking fashion, it does get tiresome at times.

His main point is that you bought a brand new car when you could have bought a used one with a better spec for the same or less. At the end of the day, he's right and you can't argue with that but if you specifically wanted a brand new car then that's your prerogative and you're entitled to spend your money however you choose, just as he's entitled to his opinion. You'll never convince him that you were "right" to make the decision you did so it's best just to agree to disagree and be done with it really :)

Lol yeah I know a used one would of been cheaper, but thats life lol, One thing is.. I havnt had the argument saying its not mine .....yet... lol

cjp2k.

I wouldn't rise to it mate. That Fox guy sounds like a bit of a tit. 46k posts? Christ, does he ever get to drive his bargain Mondeo or BMW or whatever?

As Vertigo1 says dont worry about the opinions on there. When I posted on there that I had ordered our car i had 7 pages of people arguing about if it was worth the money and what I could and should have bought. When it arrived and I posted pics there was three pages of them arguing that it wasnt a hot hatch, (which I never said it was and can be read here if your interested). Some people just think that if it isnt there own choice then every one is in the wrong and forget that others may have different priorities in what they buy.

Nothing wrong with the tdi 140 - got one myself - love it.
Dont get me wrong - when itsa cold its sounds like a tractor and seems to go as slow but......once its warm, its sounds just fine for a diesel and has plenty of poke. A really good blend of diesel torque and punch and excellent economy. and once you have some spare cash you culd get it bluefin'd as have about 185bhp and almost 400nm of torque !!! With little or no loss to economy. That is on my shoping list too. But until ive got spare cash the car and engine will cope with anything i can throw at it im sure.
Let the knockers carry on. Just laugh at them. Forget about it, you have a cracking car that im sure you are very happy with, how could you not be......:icon_thumright:

Well CJP2K I came from a BMW 530i Sport to an A3 TDi 140 S Line Sportback with DSG and I really like it now i've got used to it..I even like the DSG box but appreciate it isn't everyones choice. The worst bit was the ride quality, but this a hatch back and not a luxury saloon. Done around 15k since last August so mine gets a good run and have just added Bluefin even tho under warranty. I went the Bluefin route because I can flip back to a standard map if needs be. The Bluefin has really transformed the car, it runs smoother, pulls harder thru the gears, the changes on DSG are still superb, the extra torgue is awesome, and yes I know its not S3 territory but I have a good motorway mile eater, decent acceleration, performs and handles reasonably, arquably looks smart in Misano Red with 20 spoke 18's, slightly better economy on journeys (2 mpg+) and on average since purchase I have seen 44.7 mpg. Would I buy another one, possibly not but that doesn't come into question for another year when I will have 60k on the clock, another diesel, definitely but something slightly larger. Would I go the Bluefin route again, definitely, this has transformed the car into a grin inducing enjoyable everyday car. But i'd still love a 535 Sport Diesel. Indulge yourself and go the Bluefin route, £530 well spent.

BrianM - how did you get if for £530 ?
Was it by mentioning this forum or uk-miv forum ?
Normal price is £599

cheers

newbiecrg said:
Good motor! and economical as well!

Enjoy it and don't listen to "if it was me..." just because "it wasn't them...it was you"!!!

Pedro

Couldn't agree more, I've had an A3 8L 1.9TDi (110BHP) Sport, an A3 8P 2.0TDi (140) Sport and now have an A3 Sportback 2.0TDi (140) Sport and loved all 3 of them.
Your the one who has to live with it everyday and pay out your hard earned cash. Just enjoy it.

benw123 said:

I'll agree with that, I haven't seen much of this slating described. Nowhere near as much as in other forums, some are VERY clicky if you even mention another manufacturer. Thats just not the case here.

I have read most of this thread now, that guy on the other forum with 46 thousand psots sounds like a right tit. Opinions like his are not constructive, just plain inflammatory.

Bet he drives a kia

A4Quattro said:
I'll agree with that, I haven't seen much of this slating described. Nowhere near as much as in other forums, some are VERY clicky if you even mention another manufacturer. Thats just not the case here.

The comment I made was about another forum.. this forum seems like a friendly bunch of people who love audis (and other cars for that matter!!!):friends:

cjp2k said:
The comment I made was about another forum.. this forum seems like a friendly bunch of people who love audis (and other cars for that matter!!!):friends:

Yeah I had a little read on there, what a bunch! Who cares that some dude paid less for his 530i than you did, its probably 20 years old.
Some people on there have farrrr too many posts to have any life outside of the internet.

Typical BMW drivers some of them, head so far up their own **** they could lick the inside of their appendix

A4Quattro said:
Typical BMW drivers some of them, head so far up their own **** they could lick the inside of their appendix

Woah easy there fella with the referrences to BMW drivers or else this forum wont be quite as friendly if you catch my drift :)

Lol thats why he said SOME :icon_thumright: btw Married thanks for the S3 Pedals!!

off topic sorry but can you supply S3 pedals fopr a DSG and if so for how much ?

Hi Daiblo6, yes just call them up and speak to Constantin if you can, he was very helpful, just mention this forum and if necessary the uk-miv forum and you should get at least the 10% discount. The exact price I paid was £539.10p. The only problem I had was uploading the files which seems to be a problem if you use NTL/Virgin broadband. But any other internet connection will work, I did mine at a client site in Nottingham and then uploaded the file at the motorway services...and played on the way home.

oh dear.....i feel the money leaving the bank already.. !!!
Must try and show more self restraint.....:arco:

marriedblonde said:
Woah easy there fella with the referrences to BMW drivers or else this forum wont be quite as friendly if you catch my drift :)

present company accepted...

I'm looking at the overall package, I couldn't think of a better car. 140 is a lot better than most and quite honestly the ecomony is suprisingly good. I got 58mpg the other day on the M25.

Personally, I think any TDI140 that is OUT of warranty should do a custom coded remap.
Could be better off in the short and long run...

emzino said:
Personally, I think any TDI140 that is OUT of warranty should do a custom coded remap.

That's why I'm waiting for another month and a few days...

Roll on the last week of May :weight_lift2:

Badley said:
I'm looking at the overall package, I couldn't think of a better car. 140 is a lot better than most and quite honestly the ecomony is suprisingly good. I got 58mpg the other day on the M25.
Best real-world economy I ever had was when I was once heading up the M6 from Brum. Filled the car then got stuck in 60mph traffic for 90 miles. At this point the DIS said I had a range of 670 miles, so that would have been 760 miles from a single tank if I'd kept on driving like that.

What really amazed me was the thought that I could drive like that for another 11 hours before needing to fill up!

SamDude said:
That's why I'm waiting for another month and a few days...

Roll on the last week of May :weight_lift2:

Where you gonna get it done?