Best tyre for low noise?

mjepson

Reaction score
I am currently riding on 215/35R19 Dunlop Sport FM 901 tyres and they make a terrible noise almost like my wheel bearings would do if they needed changing. It is very noticable going over old roads, cornering hard and at higher speeds.

I am ready to swap them for something else if i can find a buyer for them. I have searched around the web and different forums and www.tyretest.com

The tyres that make the least noise according to tyretest is Toyo Proxes T1-R, Fulda Carat Exelero and Falken 452.

Has anybody got any of these tyres or tried them before? Any other recomendations for low profile, low noise tyres ?

I think with such large wheels and Eibach suspension, you'll be lucky to see much difference with a tyre change! Mind you, the rubber isn't too wide so you never know.

Having said that, the Pirelli P6000s I had used to drone a bit on smooth surfaces, and the Goodyear Eagle GS-D3s I replaced them with are much quieter.

The eibach suspension does not make a difference. The noise was the same before/after i fitted them.

As with everything in car design, tyre/wheel size is a compromise. The compromise on wheel size is larger wheels, bigger brakes, but you pay the price in lower slip angles and poor ride quality / road noise. The best tyre for road noise would be a 16.

Chris.

I had some Michelin Energy tyres on my last car. They were very quiet, but wer'nt that grippy.

So everybody in here means that because i have 35 profile tyres, changing tyres won't improve noise level?

So basically if the FM 901 are the most noisy tyre around, swapping to a low-noise tyre (according to tests) will not help me. Noise is only reduced if i ride 16-17" tyres with a bigger profile? :wtf:

What about narrow/wide tyres? will going from 215 with a bit of a stretch to 225 with less stretch help on noise?

I'm not looking for miracles, just less noisy tyres :)

i use 235 45 17 pirelli p zeros for my winter tyres and i get the same road noise when i use my 235 35 19 falken tyres in summer.i think its more down to the crap road surfaces than our tyres

I think tyre noise is really bad on the 8P A3. I never noticed it so bad on my 8L S3, but sometimes it sounds like the bearings are shot the rumble is that bad (the bearings are OK BTW).

I've used Eagle F1s on both cars, just seems to be soooo noisy in the new A3......

Anyone else noticed or is my particular A3 a lemon?

That's what the Bose sound upgrade is for. Didn't you ever wonder why anyone getting a second 8P always got it?