RS4 Alloys

JamS3

Reaction score
Have the chance of 4 genuine RS4 alloys and was wondering if they would fit my car without causing any handling/quattro problems?

Asked the Audi dealer and they didn't really know, only said the standard S3 alloys are offset ET 54 and the RS4 ones are ET 29 which does not mean much to me!!

They come with tyres 255/35/19, i didn't realise the tyres were so fat on a RS4.

Have noticed though looking round Audi seem to have done the same for RS4 alloys what they did for the old 18in RSTT alloys in that the genuine ones off a TT or 8L S3 were dished in the middle and the spokes bent towards the dish. The replicas both from other companies and Audi themselves (if not bought on a genuine model) were flat faced.

Saw some 18in RS4's on a new TT in the showroom yesterday and they were completely flat compared to the RS4 next to it!

The lower the offset the further the wheels will stick out. For that reason I think you'd struggle to get them to fit onto an S3. Someone may correct me but I think thats the right way round...

With a higher offset you can use spacers to get them to sit more flush with the arches.

According to a book I have:

"Offset - this is determined by the distance from the wheel mounting face in relation to it's centre line. The offset figure is denoted by ET, which stands for Einpress Tiefe in German, or Pressed-in depth. The lower the offset, the more the wheels will stick out."

So then the ET29 less ET54 is equivalent to a 25mm spacer. Which I think would be a little too much :think:

BUT you could always be different and have the wheel faces machined back to give you a narrower offset. (The machine shop near teeside Audi will be able to do them for you Jam ! :idea: )

If you machined the faces of the wheels that would need bigger spacers surely?

I dont think so, as you'd surely just machine off the correct amount to make them sit flush with the arches.

I doubt I'd have them machined though just in case it affects the integrity of the wheels. But perhaps I'm just a softy walter..??

What I mean is if the RS4 hubs stick out further, then the wheel face will be further towards the outside of the wheel so machining part of the face off would make the face even further away from where the S3 hub would sit.

I know what I mean but it's a bit hard in text to explain.

Basically if you need a spacer then taking some metal off the wheel would mean you need a bigger spacer.

Not necessarily, it depends on the construction of the wheel I suppose.
It depends on whether the wheel centres are closer or further away from the outer edge of the rim. I know what you mean it just depends on how the wheels are constructed.

Do the RS4's have a wider track due to the hubs being further out, longer shafts, wishbones etc or are the wheels just offset more and the actual track / distance between the two hubs set up the same width as the "normal" A4's

I'm guessing but I think the track must be slightly wider. The arches on the RS4 are flared and I think they are flared more than the 20mm or so difference in ET.

Iv'e fitted 17" RS4 replicas to my sportback the first set came with an ET35 offset and they protruded the arches by 10mm so i got them changed for ET45 offset and they now fit flush with the arch.