Monster MotorsportVolks Autos
    6th Gear

Status

Fuel Sloshing Noise?

How many people have noticed a sloshing noise coming from the fuel moving about in their tanks?

Just I was putting mine away in the garage tonight and really noticed it sloshing back and forward making a noise. I wouldn't have thought it would have made that much of a noise as I have to edge really careful into the garage as it's a tight fit!

I do have to do down a inch high small kerb then up onto one to get in which may cause the fuel to go back and forward but wondered if this is normal?

For info I had 3/4 of a tank in, seems more you have in the more you hear it?
    NOW - Audi S3 Facelift - Sprint Blue, RNS-E Sat Nav, SDS, Bluetooth Phone Prep, Bose, Cruise, Buckets, FBMFSW, Adaptive Lights, Int Light Pack, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Piano Black Inserts, Through Load, Auto Dim RV Mirror/Wing, Auto Wipers/Lights, Folding Door Mirrors, Heated Seats, Ipod Dock, Front Arm Rest, Rear/Front Parking Sensors, 1st Aid Kit, Rear Arm Rest, H + R Springs, Front 15mm Spacers, Rear 10mm Spacers.

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Yeah mine does it aswell although ive noticed it on most cars ive had

2009 Suzuki GSXR1000K9 SE in White
    2012 Triumph Speed Triple R in Black
    2012 RS3 in Racing Mica Blue
    2012 A1 TFSI in Misano red (shared with mum)

S55 LKS

Status
    You mustn't have the stereo loud enough..!!

Cant say I've noticed it on mine but it will be there if I listen out for it, on most cars I've had you could hear it. More so when the tank had less fuel in it though.
    2004 1.9TDi A4 Avant Sport, GmbH bodykit, DPM Remap, Fishscale Alu trim, RNS-E

4th Gear

Status
    this is what liquid does when it moves!!! LOL. Its perfectly normal. Had it on every car and i presume every car in the world with fuel in its tank will do this!!!!
    Audi A3 2.0TDI S-Line
    OEM+

Coming soon: VW Passat 2.0TDI 170 DSG

6th Gear

Status
    Suppose so!

I have had it on other cars too and thinking when I move in the garage I do have to brake as Iv'e applied a bit of power to get up the small kerb stone so that would send the fuel sloshing forward and then it would slosh back again.

Just had music off for a chance hence it was more noticable.

Suppose its louder when the tank is near full like mine was as opposed to nearly empty as more fuel in tank would make more noise and has more force moving about!

Just tried it again putting it into the garage and its quite easy to hear the fuel sloshing about even with gentle braking as opposed to harsh. It seems there is a couple of seconds gap between braking then the sloshing of the fuel!!
    Last edited by JamS3; 4th April 2007 at 10:56.
    NOW - Audi S3 Facelift - Sprint Blue, RNS-E Sat Nav, SDS, Bluetooth Phone Prep, Bose, Cruise, Buckets, FBMFSW, Adaptive Lights, Int Light Pack, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Piano Black Inserts, Through Load, Auto Dim RV Mirror/Wing, Auto Wipers/Lights, Folding Door Mirrors, Heated Seats, Ipod Dock, Front Arm Rest, Rear/Front Parking Sensors, 1st Aid Kit, Rear Arm Rest, H + R Springs, Front 15mm Spacers, Rear 10mm Spacers.

6th Gear

Status
    Can't say I've ever noticed it - but then maybe I've just always had Terry Wogan on a bit too loud!

What I have noticed is a dripping noise coming from the fuel tank when I've turned off the ignition. I asked Audi about it when I was getting some work done to the car and was told that it is the fuel pump returning the fuel to the tank.

You will probably also notice when you unlock the car and open the door that the fuel pump turns on to pump fuel to whereever it is supposed to pump it to.