Audi Retrofit stuff

john_cook

I was the STIG.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

My mate who drives a BMW states that there is a long list of parts that he can buy and get retrofitted by BMW including things like heated seats, sat nav etc... loads of stuff including all the correct buttons. They recently fit the multifunction steering wheel and cruise control to his 7yr old 330d.

Will audi do this sort of thing?? Does anyone know?

Cooky

I suppose it depends on how much money you're prepared to throw at the car. The BMW thing doesn't sound out of the ordinary but your mate must have deep pockets to get BMW agents to do the work.

I don't think Audi will retrofit anything... I asked if it was possible to retrofit a RNS-E and the salesman got in touch with the Workshop Controller and he said that was not possible... We all know it is perfectly possible...

Pedro

P.S.: Just an example...

My top mucker is an Audi tech, and he said he could easily retro-fit some of the options to my car if I wanted later, such as MFSW, cruise etc., because the looms were in place for most of these or easily makeable.

normski said:
My top mucker is an Audi tech, and he said he could easily retro-fit some of the options to my car if I wanted later, such as MFSW, cruise etc., because the looms were in place for most of these or easily makeable.

Hmmmmmm interesting ........ I asked for cruise to be retro-fitted to my A3 and was told it definatley was not possible!!! :think:

coupe-se said:
Hmmmmmm interesting ........ I asked for cruise to be retro-fitted to my A3 and was told it definatley was not possible!!! :think:

I will triple check and come back to you on this one, but my mate specifically said you get a stalk and new cowling in a kit and bobs your uncle. He said he had done them before. Let me get back to you.

normski said:
I will triple check and come back to you on this one, but my mate specifically said you get a stalk and new cowling in a kit and bobs your uncle. He said he had done them before. Let me get back to you.

Cheers .......... SERIOUSLY gratefull for your help!!!:icon_thumright:

Bought my car as a 2 week old demo and could'nt alter the spec. Always had cruise fitted due to the motorway miles we do. Finding it a real inconvenience without cruise ......... yes I'm lazy.

AMD and Awesome Gti will fit cruise for you using genuine Audi parts, they have been doing it for ages!

JamS3 ........ I see you have cruise fitted, is it a seperate stalk or is it combined in the washer/indicator stalk???

Just wondering if it goes in the place of the washer stalk for example, does this impact on the variable auto wiper feature?

Just trying to work out why my local dealer didn't want to fit a relatively simple add on:think:
The guy did waffle on about the car having fibre optic control cabling which made things harder, which me and the missus at the time said sounded like bull.

EDIT
Think I have answered my own question, found a picture of the kit on Ebay and it appears to replace the headlight stalk. Is this correct??

To clarify, Audi can retrofit just about anything - they just won't :)

Basically, just because it's possible doesn't mean they'll do it and anything classes as a factory fit only option, such as the nav, they will just refuse to touch, end of.

Frankly, it's not their decision and you can't blame them. If Audi UK say they're not to do such things and ignoring this advice will invalidate the warranty then the dealer is in a no-win situation as if they go ahead and there's a warranty claim later they could end up stuck in the middle twixt customer and Audi UK.

coupe-se said:
JamS3 ........ I see you have cruise fitted, is it a seperate stalk or is it combined in the washer/indicator stalk???

Just wondering if it goes in the place of the washer stalk for example, does this impact on the variable auto wiper feature?

Just trying to work out why my local dealer didn't want to fit a relatively simple add on:think:
The guy did waffle on about the car having fibre optic control cabling which made things harder, which me and the missus at the time said sounded like bull.

EDIT
Think I have answered my own question, found a picture of the kit on Ebay and it appears to replace the headlight stalk. Is this correct??

It is a seperate stalk under the headlight\indicator stalk. You can just make it out in this photo.

In most cases, retrofitting can be done with anyone with basic DIY skills. I've retrofitted more than £3k-worth of Audi extras to my Sportback for a little over £500 (17" Star wheels, when new was a £750 option, cost £140 after selling my 16"s; rear sunblind, £90 new, £30 fitted; and the RNS-E sat nav system, £2175 new, £450 retrofitted). All the bits I've bought have come from eBay.

The wheels and sunblind were new and the RNS-E used. It's a great way of getting the bits you wanted, but couldn't afford or didn't want to pay for from new.

Audi York quoted me £1000 for fitting a multi-function flat bottomed steering wheel... i think it is all down to which Audi dealership you ask...

Oh and no I didnt have it done :faint:

At the moment there are a number of Audi dealers that are selling some stuff on ebay.
Most of te stuff is easy to fit, or comes with DIY instructions.
For the more complicated jobs which require VAG Com, the dealers are reluctant do anything.
Its amazing how much stuff the VW Garages will do but not the Audi ones.