Hill Hold

OutLore said:
So you can confidently say that you have never rolled back accidentally?(your present DSG car excepted)

Yes,actually I can say that.
Prior to this car I can't think of any time I've rolled back,because I'm able to either hold a car on the clutch or use the handbrake and clutch together.
I wouldn't have thought it was that difficult a skill really.

To those that suggest using the handbrake in conjunction with DSG,that's been covered.
You can do this,but then you end up with the car straining against the handbrake,because it's programmed to creep forward.
The only way to avoid this is to stand on the footbrake or put the car into 'N',neither of which are a good solution.

MarcQuinlivan said:
If you will open your manuals to page 143 it reads as follows:

*applies to vehicles: with hill hold assist.
Driving away on a slope

The hill hold assist function makes it easier to drive away on a slope.

The system is activated when you press and hold the brake pedal for a few seconds.

When you release the brake pedal the braking force will be maintained for a moment in order to hold the vehicle and make it easier for you to drive away.

Warning
  • If you do not drive away immediately after releasing the brake pedal the vehicle could start to roll back. You should therefore immediately press the brake pedal or apply the handbrake.
  • If the engine should stall you must immediately press teh brake pedal or apply the handbrake.
  • If you are driving away on a slope in stop-and-go traffic press and hold the brake pedal for a few seconds before driving off. This will prevent the vehicle from rolling back unintentionally.
Note
To find out whether your vehicle is equipped with the "hill hold assist" function please contact an Audi dealership or qualified workshop.

Found this whilst sorting out my new S3 insurance and reviewing the details of the car I had ordered.

From the Audi configurator...

"Prevents roll-back on hills for up to 5 seconds by maintaining brake force"

Strange the manual is not so explicit. :ermm:

bowfer said:
Yes,actually I can say that.
Prior to this car I can't think of any time I've rolled back,because I'm able to either hold a car on the clutch or use the handbrake and clutch together.
I wouldn't have thought it was that difficult a skill really.

Indeed. It's something novice drivers are tested on during their driving test, so it's somewhat remarkable that drivers of £30k+ cars seem to find it such a tricky skill to master!

My car came as standard fitted with a Hill Hold device. It's called a handbrake and is very easily operated by the large handle between the seats. I learned how to to use it some 40+ years ago and it seems to work very effectively with both a manual and and a s-tronic gearbox.

h5djr said:
My car came as standard fitted with a Hill Hold device. It's called a handbrake and is very easily operated by the large handle between the seats. I learned how to to use it some 40+ years ago and it seems to work very effectively with both a manual and and a s-tronic gearbox.

Funny you mention that! Mine also came with that "feature", do you reckon it's a Audi thing? :jump:

Pedro

Mine's got one and it's not even DSG! Christ, Audi are giving them away!

h5djr said:
God, these new Audis are getting technically very complicated. I can't find any instructions whatsoever in the handbook about how to operate the "handbrake". Typical crap Audi customer service again I reckon.

When did Audi and the other car makers put that there then?

God, these new Audis are getting technically very complicated. I can't find any instructions whatsoever in the handbook about how to operate the "handbrake". Typical crap Audi customer service again I reckon.

There is a full description, including a diagram indicating how to push the button on the end to release the handbrake and a section on Applying the handbrake and another on Releasing the handrake in the Driving section - p145 in my Sportback Owner's Manual. There is also a Warning about making sure the handbrake is realsed all the way othwise it could cause overheating of the rear brakes which could impair the function of of the brake system.

It surprising what gems of exciting and useful information are provided by Audi's typical 'crap' customer service.

I don't think the handbrake is an 'Audi thing' as I've had a very similar device fitted to all of the 20 odd cars over the last 40 years. All have worked in a very similar manner.

stevec said:
From the Audi configurator...

"Prevents roll-back on hills for up to 5 seconds by maintaining brake force"

Strange the manual is not so explicit. :ermm:
I suspect it may be a legal thing - they can't give an exact time just in case if switches off before that. i.e. they say 5 seconds, your car rolls back after 4 and hits somebody.

I too have that wierd handbrake thing under my armrest... seems to do the job nicely! I didn't notice it at first until one day I was hoovering the car and lifted the armrest up to get down the side of the seat. Strange they don't mention it on the standard kit list.

I thought the handbrake lever was there to activate the rear wheel steering? Thats how it seems to work on mine - especially if I engage it at 60mph...

It used to be called the Handbag Break - somewhere to rest your handbag when you wanted a break.

Due to equal opportunities, it was renamed to avoid discrimination against non-handbag users.

:w00t: