Badger5JMB Retrofits
    1st Gear

Status

Black or Silver?

That old chestnut, I'm afraid... colour.

Colour is obviously a very subjective thing, but I've narrowed it down to either Silver or Phantom Black.

I was always going to go with black (my previous S3 was Ebony Black) but annoyingly, silver has come up on the rails from nowhere to throw me into confusion just as I'm on the cusp of making a final decision. I'm starting to think that perhaps silver is the way to go because it shows off the lines of the car better, the S3 publicity brochure clearly suggests it was the colour Audi thinks shows it off best, and it's the Audi racing colour (thinking R8/R10 here) .... but then, I wonder whether silver is too lacking in contrast with the S3 wheels, grille and ally mirrors, is too bland and nondescript, and even too common nowadays? Perhaps, all these things considered, I should stick with the mean, moody and stealthy look of black...?

I'm back to square one, so I would be interested to hear the reasoning of those who have faced the same dilemma, and what the factors were that clinched it one way or the other.

Should it be back to Black or is it time for a change to a Silv3r Arrow?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Not anymore - Back 2 BMW (shh)

Status
    Silver!

Uber Post Whore

Status
    I went from black to silver, i love black, but it is so demanding to keep clean, where as silver is forgiving, you just wash, rinse and go.

2013 AUDI A3 SB S-LINE : 2.0 TDIQ 184 : GLACIER WHITE :
    : S-TRONIC : COMFORT PACK : SD SAT NAV : FOLDING MIRRORS : HEATED SEATS: RIGID BOOT LINER :

1st Gear

Status
    I saw a silver S3 at the mph 2006 show at the NEC. To me there was not very much colour contrast between all of the parts. As you know, the black looks good when clean. As the interior is black as standard it can be gloomy. Here is my red one to give another pespective. Sorry it is a bit dirty!

Just a thought as there not many red ones around!

prt

windsurfer

Status
    Well, from all the colours available silver would be my last choice because of the thins I like about the S3 is that contrast with mirrors and wheels... I choose black and I know it will be a pain to keep clean but when clean and shiny it will look fantastic...

Sprint Blue or Red would be my other choices, the car looks great in blue!

My colours choices where around those 3, black, blue and red.

Silver suits the A3 fine but you loose the individuality given by the ally mirrors and I quite like them to stand out a bit...

Personal choices my friend...

Pedro
    FOR SALE: S3 Phantom Black, left hand drive, Xenons, FBMFSW, bucket seats, BOSE, rear parking sensors, armrest, interior light package, Symphony II+. Full Audi service history and 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 2. 18500 miles PM for details! I want to give it away have a good family reason. For a quick sale around 19.5k PM only if interest is genuine! Thanks

5th Gear

Status
    Sprint Blue or black
    2.0T Quattro SLine, now 320d Sport Touring

6th Gear

Status
    Last edited by mitch78; 28th February 2009 at 14:23.

5th Gear

Status
    good man - welcome to the forums

va va voom

Status
    what bout grey ?
    ~ ~ ~2003 Audi S3 BAM ~ Ming Blue ~ 18" BBS Alloys ~ Heated Black Leather ~ Forge DV ~ RNS-E ~ denison ipod link~ parrot mk6100 bluetooth ~ ~ ~

Still need Remap

2007 Audi S3 8L
    2005 Audi A3 1.6 sport grey with climate control
    2003 Audi A3 1.6 sport black without climate contol

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by rickparmar
    what bout grey ?
    Are you trying to confuse the issue?

Status
    Grey is the new silver

5th Gear

Status
    I thought that was brown?

6th Gear

Status
    Silver!

I looked at alot of colours in the S3 when I ordered mine in the flesh and the silver one parked next to the other colours totally stood out. You could see the side skirts and lines so much better, yes the ally mirrors do get slightly hidden but you can still see them!

Sprint Blue - Nice but EVERYONE is ordering it!
    NOW - Audi S3 Facelift - Sprint Blue, RNS-E Sat Nav, SDS, Bluetooth Phone Prep, Bose, Cruise, Buckets, FBMFSW, Adaptive Lights, Int Light Pack, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Piano Black Inserts, Through Load, Auto Dim RV Mirror/Wing, Auto Wipers/Lights, Folding Door Mirrors, Heated Seats, Ipod Dock, Front Arm Rest, Rear/Front Parking Sensors, 1st Aid Kit, Rear Arm Rest, H + R Springs, Front 15mm Spacers, Rear 10mm Spacers.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by d3fy
    No, that's white.

I was determined not to get black again. My last car was a Black Magic Octavia RS, Phantom Black in all but name. I sat there with the Audi salesman saying 'Oh no. Not black. Nightmare colour. I like <whatever> colour'. He went off to get something and by the time he came back I said 'Nah, **** it, black. It's the dogs danglies.'

And I have to say that after today I still go with that. I spent the afternoon doing a delimonene/clay/SRP/Collinite 476 combo and it looks absolutely stunning

A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line

Gone...and quite quickly forgotten

6th Gear

Status
    My previous car was silver and was so easy to keep clean and shiny for the 8yrs of ownership

Before i got the Audi i didn't realise it was such an arse keeping the damn thing clean

I clean it every week and wax it if the weather is good and boy it looks good in black, scratches and swirls show very badly but a layer of wax makes it gleem in the sun!

i would go for another black car even though its an arse to keep clean

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by d3fy
    Quote Originally Posted by rich1068
    No, that's white.
    only if it has been washed recently

MiT
    Work Hard, Play harder!!

Status
    Am glad i got sliver now. Really wanted black, but sliver is really good and worked out for the best. Ido fancy the newer looking sprinter blue. Now thats one i wouldn't mind. But if i now had the choice of black or sliver, i would say sliver.
    A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI S-Line
    Amalfi White || Comfort Pack || Audi Sound System 10 Speakers || Interior Light Pack || Elec Lumber Support || Sat Nav || Non Smoking pack

1st Gear

Status
    Black is damn hard to keep clean and shiny if you drive to anywhere dusty ... Silver blends in more compare with other colours... Why not meet half way and go blue, red, or grey?

All those shows the lines and grille, yet can hide a little more dust maybe?

Try this, put one word to describe each colour and see which word you want the most out of your car?!?!

Example, my opinion for starter:

Blue -Sporty
    Red -Sexy
    Lava grey - elegant
    Black - Aggresive

Hope it helps!
    2007 Lava grey A3 2.0 140 TDI Quattro Sportsback
    S-line int/ext, cruise, mfsw, aluminum rails, Xenons+, coming-leaving home, light + rain, parking sensors, hill hold, Bluefin, 18" OEM double 7-spokes RS4 alloys

5th Gear

Status
    yuk! neither silver or black im afraid they are both horrid! If I were getting an S3 id get one in a colour which is ONLY available on the S3 such as the sprint, orange or the yellow - prob sprint blue to be safe - silver and black are balnd and can be had on a 1.6 base model.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by steve184
    yuk! neither silver or black im afraid they are both horrid! If I were getting an S3 id get one in a colour which is ONLY available on the S3 such as the sprint, orange or the yellow - prob sprint blue to be safe - silver and black are balnd and can be had on a 1.6 base model.
    Yeah, but you can get sprint blue on a 1.2 Skoda Fabia mate, not to mention a kia I saw the other day and my Mrs' mate's 1.2 Fiesta. It only looks good on an S3 because it is an S3, and you can have sprint blue on a 1.6 if you want.

Status
    Black everytime
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten

My BM is fixed!

Status
    Silver is good, but black is better.
    Chris

The problem with common sense, is that its not that common.

See my images @
    http://www.christianfrench.co.uk

Own a dreaded BMW? http://www.bmw-sport.net

Neutral

Status
    White is where it's at. How many good looking white A3's have you seen on the road? That's right, the only good looking ones are already in black. Be bold

2nd Gear

Status
    Just spent the weekend cleaning my car and getting mighty upset at all the fine scratches I can see in the sun light due to it being in Phantom Black. I would say Lava Grey, saw one in this colour at my local dealer and is v. vice. Shows off all the chrome nice and good contrasting.

Phantom Black looks the nuts when clean but if you have 'OCD' like me about the car and hate seeing fine scratches then don't do it to yourself.

So Lava Grey or Sprint Blue all the way.

6th Gear

Status
    Its such a difficult choice colour.

My last two Audi's were silver (A3 1.8T, my current S3), so this time around I've gone for black.

When I was choosing 8L S3, I went for Silver because:- a) everyone was ordering black S3's at the time and b) Silver does look cleaner longer. However once i'd got the car, I always wished I'd got black. Especially when you see a well polished one.

So I've gone for black this time, but seeing the recent pics of Silver 8P S3's...it does suit silver very well, and I'm now wondering if I should have gone for silver!!! Nightmare. Anyway, can't go back now. But...you do get a bigger sense of achievement when you've washed and waxed a black car.

AL
    '07 Phantom Black S3 - '07 to now - Bucket Seats, FBMFSW, BOSE, Symphony II+, Cruise Control, Elec Folding Mirrors, Front Centre Armrest, Rear Armrest & Through Load, Interior Light Pack, Luggage Pack, Reversible Boot Mat, Luggage net.
    '02 Silver S3 (225bhp) - '02 to '07
    '99 A3 1.8T - '99 to '02

'11 Rising Blue Golf R - '12 to now - 19" Black Talladega's
    '52 Black Golf GTi MkIV Anniversary - '03 to '12

5th Gear

Status
    please please dont go for grey, thanks

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmasman
    Blue -Sporty
    Red -Sexy
    Lava grey - elegant
    Black - Aggresive

Hope it helps!
    Silver - ????????

6th Gear

Status
    If it were only a choice of the two,it would be black.
    Black at least gives some reward for effort,coz a shiny black car looks superb.
    Silver just doesn't reward you in the same way.
    You could spend hours polishing a silver car and it won't look much better than the bloke who's spent two minutes washing it with fairy liquid.
    My wife likes black cars which,in turn,encourages me to look after them.
    I wouldn't bother my backside if it were silver.
    Silver's a good colour for lazy folk though.
    I can chuck my car through a carwash and it looks great.

My next car (if I get the 159 I want) will probably be red.
    Only Alfas and Ferraris should be red.
    Last edited by Amchlolor; 2nd April 2007 at 13:43.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

5th Gear

Status
    im sorry but noone in their right mind is going to pay 1600 quid to have sprit blue on a 1.6 base!!!!!!

5th Gear

Status
    i think the point being made was that, no colour is really exclusive to a particular model

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Spook
    Silver - ????????
    All of the above....

and "Silver's a good colour for lazy folk..."

Neutral

Status
    Not the best setting but hey!

2007 S3 Phantom Black - All the toys!

2nd Gear

Status
    I don't think that there's is much argument that everyone would love it in black, it is just a lot more work to keep it looking great.

windsurfer

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer
    Only Alfas and Ferraris should be red.
    Spot on! I really like my Alfa! If only they had a new 147 GTA 4 wheel drive.....

Hoping the S3 was a good choice!...

Pedro

P.S.: At least once in your life own a proper Alfa! (I mean petrol) You will see AR differently if your passionate about cars... all the niggles and things seem not to matter that much...
    FOR SALE: S3 Phantom Black, left hand drive, Xenons, FBMFSW, bucket seats, BOSE, rear parking sensors, armrest, interior light package, Symphony II+. Full Audi service history and 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 2. 18500 miles PM for details! I want to give it away have a good family reason. For a quick sale around 19.5k PM only if interest is genuine! Thanks

1st Gear

Status
    Silver for me... I think the A3 in general suits silver very well
    Gone - A3 2.0 TDI (140) Sportback Sport

Now - BMW f10 520d

6th Gear

Status
    Silver! Thank you please!!

3rd Gear

Status
    Personal choice, but I would also go with silver.

I think silver shows off the lines of the car better, mainly because you get the sharp contrast between the dark glass area at the side of the car against the light bodywork. With black, it tends to merge together.

Red or blue would also look good, for the same reason.

6th Gear

Status
    One thing I will say about black is that (thanks to the advice of the likes of Marriedblonde) the right carcare products can make a helluva difference.
    Thanks to superb products,the wife's black car always looks great after even the quickest wash.
    I wish I'd known that when I had my black A4,but never mind.
    I won't fear black again,like I used to.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

6th Gear

Status
    Agree with everyones silver comments and thats why I got mine in silver after looking at a black one.

Just look at the black one above, the side skirts and lower valance on the rear bumper are completely hidden, look at a silver one (pics on Audi site or on pic of silver S3 on this site) and they really stand out along with the lines of the car.
    Last edited by JamS3; 4th April 2007 at 01:03.
    NOW - Audi S3 Facelift - Sprint Blue, RNS-E Sat Nav, SDS, Bluetooth Phone Prep, Bose, Cruise, Buckets, FBMFSW, Adaptive Lights, Int Light Pack, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Piano Black Inserts, Through Load, Auto Dim RV Mirror/Wing, Auto Wipers/Lights, Folding Door Mirrors, Heated Seats, Ipod Dock, Front Arm Rest, Rear/Front Parking Sensors, 1st Aid Kit, Rear Arm Rest, H + R Springs, Front 15mm Spacers, Rear 10mm Spacers.