Lead times on A3's

OutLore

VOIP Dude
Reaction score
So I go to order my car yesterday, place the order with the leasing company and they come back to me today to say that instead of 10 - 12 weeks, the expected delivery date is going to be 1st September. 6 Months!!!

Anyone else heard of ridiculous lead times at the moment? Apparently it's not just A3's (according to the leasing company) it's all Audis.....

I hat to wait 3 months for the car to arrive at the dealers... But I'm waiting 3 weeks since then to get plates...

6 months seems excessive...

Pedro

Yea 6months seems more than excessive. It's not impossible but it is most definitely ridiculous.

Six months does seem like a bit too long. My company ordered me a 170 s-line A4 in december and I am expecting it next week. I do think the lease companies take a few weeks longer than a direct order, but I am sure you could find a better lead time.

Emailed Audi customer service yesterday. I'll probably get the car before the reply.

The other option is to not get an Audi - maybe a Golf GTI or even a Volvo S40 T5... Got to see if I can get a quicker lead time from a dealer.

Theres no build delay on A3's as far as I know. The only delay recently was the bad weather a couple of months back which caused a three week shipping delay.

Sounds like the lease company dragging it's feet not Audi. Isn't there a new reg in September? :yes:

FYI my A3 took (I think) eight weeks.

Just been to the local dealer who has said that he thinks it would be 12 weeks... They are confirming on monday and letting me know - if that's the case then I will simply inform the lease company where to get the car from (they let us do that apparently)

I'll keep you posted - if the dealer comes back to me that is!!!

Sounds like your lease company is trying to cash in on a stock/cancellation order with Audi - i.e. they get an extra discount if they order a car based on it being a cancellation/stock vehicle which happens to fit your spec (which is bound to become available at some point in the next 6 months unless you've ordered a wierdo spec) rather than making a factory order.

Standard lead time is 2-4 months.

Well, it would appear that it may be the company that is causing the delay, not the leasing company.

Apparenly an A4 Avant has become available with 2 years left on the lease. Because of other internal car swaps and one of the managers getting a 15 month ban, they want me to take it....

We'll have to see....

I have heard of people waiting up to 6months since last September, something to do with production/volume issues... Audi say that they are isolated (6 month waits) but im not so sure... order an S3, they arent delaying them ;)

Well apparently it is down to allocation of Sportbacks. The dealer in question has reached their allocated number and cannot get any more...

Sounds like a load of BS to me.

Just got a build week of 22 for my S3 In Orange with all the trims.

DM

I have just been told the same!
I have an A3 sport ordered on a PCP contract and the estimated date of may has now been moved to september!!!
Well P***ed off!

Any body know what this is all down to?

If you dont mind me asking, what company is your lease through?
Wondering if we're on the same company, im with TSB Car Select.

Do Audi alter their build speeds to keep lead times at a certain level ?
It was 12 weeks when I ordered my car in Jan '05,but that was when the sportback was a new model,so I expected that.
I just can't see that demand is still so high that it's still 12+ weeks.
They must 'back off' production,which makes sense.
No sense churning out cars willy-nilly.

Apparently this delay is down to the new TT.
It sound like a load of tosh to me. I dont see why a company the size of Audi have to delay production of an existing model by so much to build a new model.
Is there anyone else out there that is currently having to wait till september?

My S3 was a top shelf order. Ordered In Jan, I told them I wanted to pickup on July 12thm due to finance reasons.

They jusy got the build week 22 now after week allocation. What is week 22?

DM

davidmann said:
My S3 was a top shelf order. Ordered In Jan, I told them I wanted to pickup on July 12thm due to finance reasons.

They jusy got the build week 22 now after week allocation. What is week 22?

DM
Wk starting 28th May, car should be ready for you two to three weeks later.

spencerjoel said:
If you dont mind me asking, what company is your lease through?
Wondering if we're on the same company, im with TSB Car Select.

Nope - we are with HSBC. Apparently it's dealer specific - each dealer has an "allocation" of units and if they exceed that allocation they cannot order any more of that type of car.

Here is my email from Audi UK customer service:

Thank you for your recent e-mail.
According to Audi UK's latest supply information, if you ordered your
vehicle now, we would expect it to be delivered towards the end of
June 2007.
I hope this information helps, but please contact me if I can be of
further assistance in this matter.

And my response:

I have done some investigation and found that it is the dealer the leasing company uses saying that they have exceeded their allocation of A3 Sportbacks for this period and will not be able to order any more, next expected delivery is September.

Is this correct? If so then Audi UK are going to lose a customer (I'll have to order a BMW) - because a dealer has "sold too many cars".

Waiting for a response....

My next door neighbour ordered an A3 2 weeks ago and she said that she has got another 10weeks to wait for the car, 12week waiting time for an A3!

RobinA3 said:
My next door neighbour ordered an A3 2 weeks ago and she said that she has got another 10weeks to wait for the car, 12week waiting time for an A3!

Is that a 3door?

Ordered my A3 back in december(20th) and it should arrive this week and sorted out by next week so hopefully in a weeks time i´m driving Audi......

I just so happend to order a new leather sofa from DFS and a new A3 both at exactly the same time. Was told (back then in April 2004) that it would take 10 weeks build and delivery time from both DFS and Audi, I thought coincidence. Sofa coming from Italy and a car coming in from Germany. 10 weeks later... They arrived both at the same time!... on the same day!

I do wonder how complex it is to make a sofa, as they can make a car up during that time!?!?!

jo_sal77 said:
I just so happend to order a new leather sofa from DFS and a new A3 both at exactly the same time. Was told (back then in April 2004) that it would take 10 weeks build and delivery time from both DFS and Audi, I thought coincidence. Sofa coming from Italy and a car coming in from Germany. 10 weeks later... They arrived both at the same time!... on the same day!

I do wonder how complex it is to make a sofa, as they can make a car up during that time!?!?!

What spec is the sofa? :moa: