A3 Convertible

MarcQuinlivan

Reaction score
Website
audiretrofit.quinlivan.net
This week's Autocar has a two pager on the new A3 Convertible. The image is just a mock up of an S3 with the roof lopped off, but they do go into detail about it.

Aside from the current engines, there will also be an entry level 1.2 TFSI pumping out 140hp (or something like that). This will become the entry level engine for the entire A3 range. It is due to be unveiled in September and on sale by March 2008. They say that it will be pretty similar in shape to the A3 except the bonnet will be reshaped to offer better pedestrian safety.

It will be based on the Eos platform and be a full four seater, with an A4 style fabric roof with a glass rear screen which retracts into an area behind the rear seats.

It also appears to have the A4 style chrome A pillars.

http://www.autobild.de/erlkoenige/neuheiten/artikel.php?artikel_id=12043

Interesting, and not a bad looking car. Not surprised they decided to use the Sportback rear lights, given that they are more slender.

The only major downside is that it goes head-to-head with the Eos which, in my eyes, is better looking and is branded as a completely new model. Whereas the above will simply be known as an A3 Convertible.

Hope it's not an own goal for VAG.

i wonder why it isnt using the current A3 front bumper?

bit odd looking i think - just seems that Audi are jumping on the band waggon with everyone esle releasing silly convertables

I was told in January of this year that someone on the inside (of Audi) has seen the A3 cab, at the time along with A5, and a Q5. The A5 happened...so you never know.

I think an A3 cab will sell, it fills a market. People who say can't afford an A4 Cab, or want something smaller.

AL

benw123 said:
The only major downside is that it goes head-to-head with the Eos which, in my eyes, is better looking and is branded as a completely new model. Whereas the above will simply be known as an A3 Convertible.

Hope it's not an own goal for VAG.

If that's how people bought cars, they would have scored an own goal with the Golf and A3. Or Leon and Golf. Or Fabia and Leon.

I think it will sell for sure, premium brand small practical quality cab. Who else makes one?

mark88 said:
Since when has VW been a 'premium' brand?

Since they used to be compared to Fords, Vauxhalls, Peugeots and the like...

IMO Audi are just going to end up with too many models. They sould be concentrating on the less than perfect models they have now rather than bringing out Q5s and A7s and all that other ********.. can you imaging how heavy an A3 cab would be? With a 1.2 engine lol

SamDude said:
Since they used to be compared to Fords, Vauxhalls, Peugeots and the like...

VW are not a premium brand like Audi, Mercedes, BMW....

mark88 said:
VW are not a premium brand like Audi, Mercedes, BMW....

Just like Audi, MB, BMW are not 'premium' like Ferrari, Aston Martin and Porsche.

It's all relative, innit?

SamDude said:
Just like Audi, MB, BMW are not 'premium' like Ferrari, Aston Martin and Porsche.

It's all relative, innit?

of course, but what's that got to do with anything?

my point is, Audi will have little competition when they introduce their A3 cab. If someone wants a small stylish practical cab with a premium brand name on the front then what else is there?

And the Eos has been such a roaring success! Think I've only ever seen one on the road. There's still more Mk1 GTi convertibles around than Eosi (plural of Eos a la Alan Partridge) and that's 25 years old!

I quite like that and i'm looking forward to TSI. Infact i'm wondering, how comes the Golf got the TSI before Audi did?

for me all hatchback turned cabrio are a piece of *****! Look at megane, 307cc, etc....

Eos is not too bad though, perhaps I'll change my mind when I see the A3 live...

Proper 4 seater cabrios should come from a proper saloon, see 3 series BMW, CLK, C70, etc

Pedro