Superchipped A3 2.0TDi v A4 3.0TDi

BrianM

BrianM
Reaction score
On the A14 this evening I had an A4 sitting annoyingly close on my back bumper so thought i'd try the Bluefin remap! I thought the 140 hp 2.0Tdi was a lot quicker with the Bluefin but the A4 appeared to be struggling to keep with me, moved over and eased off as I hit the high 90's and let him pass only to notice it was a recent 3.0TDi A4 Avant. So the question is "was he trying" or couldn't he keep up?

staz1000 said:
233PS - he wasn't trying

Agreed... I was 3 days into Bluefin on my 140 and feeling invincible... :blush:

Until i was smoked by an A4 3.0tdi down a sliproad lol! :)

Great car with Quattro as standard and Superchips quote in the region of 270PS when chipped, i want one badly...

The 3.0TDI has to be the crop of the Audi diesels, and quattro means all the power gets down with no fuss.

270bhp derv?? wa wa wo wa my kind of car lol

what performance does the superchip have on the 2.0tdi?

i guess the fuel economy between chipped 2.0tdi and 3.0tdi isn't too much? from what i read on the forum chipped 2.0tdi are quite dire

I had a bloke in a chavved-up (black,black windows,bling wheels) Q7 3.0tdi try to lose me the other day.
The straightline performance was absolutely identical.
Nothing between it and my standard 140tdi A3 at all.
He evidently thought there would be,as when he realised he wasn't losing me he bottled it and backed right off,just before some corners came up funnily enough ! ;-)
Power to weight ratio must be about the same for our respective cars.

thats what i hate about big expensive car owners - bmw, merc's and audi's mainly

striaght line lets go 80+ mph

come to a corner, lets do 45/50

completely irratates me and i love over taking them on the corners at the speed limit

dont get me started on the back roads!

Boydie said:
dont get me started on the back roads!

That's where I do 90% of my driving.
I wouldn't say I'm a super fast driver,but corners are where I seem to score.
Fast corners especially.
They're the ones that sort the men from the boys ;-)
There's one I come across quite regularly.
If you get a good run at it,it's a 100mph+ sweeper,with perfect visibility.
Almost all the wannabe fast drivers bottle it round there,so I usually go round the outside of them.
I'm not sliding (maybe some tyre/chassis flex/movement,but not slides),so god knows what they're scared of.
On the ensuing straight,they're usually hard up my chuff again....gits.

IMO,it comes down to age.
By the time most people can afford fast cars,they've lost the urge to drive them fast.

The last time I got a decent 'race' (you know what I mean) was a grey haired old bloke in a sporty Toyota Yaris !
He was driving the wheels of this thing in his attempts to keep up.
He earned by respect,so when he pulled off he got a toot and a smile.
He had a grin from ear to ear.
I imagined him going back to his wife with this thing going 'ping ping ping' and handing over the packet of seeds he'd just bought.

In 20 or 30 years time,I want to be that bloke.

bowfer said:
That's where I do 90% of my driving.
I wouldn't say I'm a super fast driver,but corners are where I seem to score.
Fast corners especially.
They're the ones that sort the men from the boys ;-)
There's one I come across quite regularly.
If you get a good run at it,it's a 100mph+ sweeper,with perfect visibility.
Almost all the wannabe fast drivers bottle it round there,so I usually go round the outside of them.
I'm not sliding (maybe some tyre/chassis flex/movement,but not slides),so god knows what they're scared of.
On the ensuing straight,they're usually hard up my chuff again....gits.

By the time most people can afford fast cars,they've lost the urge to drive them fast.

The last time I got a decent 'race' (you know what I mean) was a grey haired old bloke in a sporty Toyota Yaris !
He was driving the wheels of this thing in his attempts to keep up.
He earned by respect,so when he pulled off he got a toot and a smile.
He had a grin from ear to ear.
I imagined him going back to his wife with this thing going 'ping ping ping' and handing over the packet of seeds he'd just bought.

In 20 or 30 years time,I want to be that bloke.

that was a good story :applaus:

My favourite approach to lose similar tailgaters is the "surprise corner attack". This means easing along a straight at a reasonable speed and then really attack a corner by accelerating into and out of it. Works a treat - always loses them and they tend to back off afterwards which is a bonus.

bowfer said:

For me I don't think it would be age but speeding fines... that's what takes the edge of my driving... I like to drive fast but my adrenaline escape valve are karts. After a proper karting session (I'm talking proper racing kart not hire lawn mowers) you don't feel any need to speed, in fact all the cars seem to be to slow...

Pedro

Still think the chipped 140 TDi DSG is really quick now, but against 233ps A4, I think the A4 would have the edge certainly straight line, but the corners are a different thing. As for consumption, I actually think the Bluefin has improved the ave consumption by around 2mpg. The only problem is that I find myself using the extra power more so no real economy improvements...but lets be honest did I chip it for economy...OH NO!

LOL! Never heard anything so daft! a 3.0 TDI in standard tune will obliterate a chipped, chav'd and screaming 4-pot 2.0 any day of the week!

If you 2.0 boys think you're keeping up the 3.0's, the guy in the 3.0 just ain't trying!

Oh well everyone has their opinion Plank, thats the whole point of forums and that was exactly the point of my original post? Diesels by design are not generally screamers and how the hell do we get to being called "Chav's" just because we invest in an engine chip. Interesting view!

well it would be interesting to see what a chipped 170 'crappy 4-pot' would do against one with 210bhp and a lot less weight - dont forget those extra cylinders add weight!!! and take longer to spin up!!!