Folding Mirrors and HomeLink

normski

Reaction score
I have already ordered my S3 but I am contemplating adding these two items to the spec to assist me getting in and out of my garages:

Folding Mirrors: has anyone got any experience of these, especially are they exactly the same style mirror, do they auto fold away on ignition off, or do you have to manually press a button (preferable), and do they brake or have problems with one mirror folding quicker than the other?

The spec also states "folding door mirrors with heated washer jets"...I assume they mean that the window washer jets are heated, rather than some water being shot at the mirrors?

HomeLink:

I have two electric garage doors which work off two seperate controllers. I assume I can do program both doors, also what sort of range does the HomeLink have?

Cheers

I have folding mirrors on my new Sportback. I ordered it with auto-dimming mirrors but it came with auto-dimming and folding. I only paid for auto-dimming. Not sure if the error was made by the dealer or the factory, but I'm not complaining.

To fold the mirrors you have to turn the knob that selects which mirror to work with to change the position and turn it right round to face backwards, if you see what I mean. It works with the ignition on or off, so if you turn the ignition off and then decide to fold the mirrors - no problem. They stop working once the drivers door has been opened.

Mine both fold quickly and with no problems at all, although I understand some forum members have said that, with theirs, one seems to fold slower than the other. I must admit I do actually find them quite useful. I always have then extended when I drive into the garage as I use the passenger side mirror to judge the position in the garage but if I then fold them it does make getting passed the car when it's in the garage easier.

I don't have the Homelink. I have a powered garage door but I just have the radio unit for the door attached between the centre vents with a liitle double sided tape.

Normally I wouldn't bump so soon, but need my mind made up by the am...

I have homelink & you can program up to 3 swithches for doors or lights.

Auto dimming mirrors is one of my favorite options, would recomend with the folding mirrors.

Definitely spec the dimming mirrors, one of the best options ever. So relaxing at night on the motorway to not have headlights beaming into the sides of your eyes.

Wouldn't be without the folding mirrors, mine fold at different speeds like other people's. Garage said is normal as others on the forecourt do it too.

Some have had probs with one intermittantly not folding - mine are ok on this.

Thanks guys.

Can't say that I can recall having ever been dazzled by wing mirrors so will give it a miss. Will just get the folders.

Thanks again.

Definitely spec the dimming mirrors, one of the best options ever. So relaxing at night on the motorway to not have headlights beaming into the sides of your eyes.

I agree, I would certainly not want to be without my dimming door mirrors. Especially as the extra cost on my SE spec was only £120.

Never notice it on the wing mirrors, dazzled that is. On the rear view I think its brilliant

I suppose it depends how you have the mirrors adjusted.

Thanks guys

I added plain old folding mirrors and homelink to my spec today.