iPod as a factory option

Plank

Reaction score
Took delivery of my A3 Sportback last week.... I'd ordered the ipod adapter as a factory option, which comprises of a slot in the glovebox which you slot your ipod into (rather than a loose cable). You get inserts of different sizes for different ipods.

Only problem is, I have an ipod nano 2G, and there isn't an insert which fits it. Audi have since told me that they don't actually do one for the 2G nano - only the 1G.

Given the 2G has been out for 6 months now, I can't believe that (a) Audi don't mention the incompatability issue in any of their literature (or do they?) and (b) they still ship an insert for a model that was discontinued 6 months ago!

Anyone else come across this?

This isn't meant as a dig but...

My first thought was I'm more surprised that Apple ship basically the same models but with different connectors. What's the difference between a 1gig nano and a 2gig nano? Basically a larger flash drive. Why change the connectors? I don't own anything that begins 'i...' and I may be over simplifying but I'd be more annoyed with Apple than Audi.

Sorry, doesn't help but there you go.

What you could do is try and remove the plastic ipod slide/holder in the glovebox and remove the apple connector from the holder. It will end up being the same setup as a retrofit adapter. This means that the ipod might slide around a little but 'could' solve you issue. I'll dig an image out for you to see whether/how the holder comes out.

anyone any pics of this enclosure for the ipod?

can audi just sell the enclosure separately?

at the minute i have a Becker Grand Prix head unit with Ipod and its loose in the glovebox

i was going to get it mounted in the armrest but it might prove to be difficult :S

oh right, thanks Marc

i might have to locate a scrapper and have a nosey, would still like to see the pics though!

I have a new A3 sportback with factory fitted ipod connector, and you are correct the 2nd generation ipod doesn't fit correctly with the audi supplied adapters. Personally I found that if you pull the adapter out by approx. 1 inch, the ipod will fit and it doesn't rattle. I can easily pull the ipod out without the adapter coming away and it is a snug fit. If it will help I'll get some photos at the weekend.

I have the factory fit option and a 2nd generation nano. I have no idea why apple have found it necessary to move the connector on the ipod about 2 mil further to the right :confused:

When I realised it didn't fit, I wrote an email to customer services, who in turn sent me to my local stealer. My local stealer has informed me that the adapter will be available to order towards the end of July.

Hope this helps.