Rear Brake warning light

B

Boydie

nearly every other time i get into the car and turn the key the warning light for the rear left brake light comes on

yesterday it was on constantly so i went about changing the bulb

which i had bother finding as halfrauds didnt list the bulb i needed! :sadlike:

changed the bulb twice and inspected them which showed no breaks in the filament :no:

so i drove home all the way with no rear light on

turned the car on this morning and there was no warning light - strange!

anyone with similar problems?

is this a wiring problem? i had something similar going wrong in my clio

Had this on my last car - turned out water had got into the connectors. Dealer cleaned it all out and fitted new bulbs and all was well after that.

The inside of mine is dry as far as i can tell - i will take them out at the weekend and give them a blast with the hair dryer

i take it yours was done under warrenty??

WD40 is always best for these little electrical faults I find.

Many a time I've been trying to fix the lights on an army tank or truck and it's just turned out to just be a dry or dirty connection.

there are contact cleaners that are specific for electric connections... try them out...

Pedro

there are contact cleaners that are specific for electric connections... try them out...

Yeah but everyone has WD40 and it works just as good

I know, but the contact cleaners are very cheap as well, I use them a lot and I use loads of WD40 (I actually buy the 5L thing...) on my karting activities...

Pedro

I've had my number plate warning light warning me that the bulb had gone for ages, i removed the bulbs and got myself down to the local halfrauds to get some replacements. I still haven't replaced them yet, but the DIS warning has now cleared. And there are no bulbs installed! Hows that work???

same for me mate

it might just happen for me when its either raining or when i clean the car

ill pay more attention next time im cleaning the car - might just be water after all!

I've had the same problem, I had all the bulbs replaced, as there was half the rear brake light strip above the windscreen not working, then one of the main lights at the back out too. They worked ok for a day, then same problem, lights all go out again, and i'm left with one main brake light and half the strip. But as i'm driving along the warning light disappears and they all work again, then it just keeps coming on and going off all the time.. very annoying when it beeps at me everytime!

its something to do with double earthing bulbs or something like that - did you replace the bulbs yourself or at a dealer?

i got so fed up with mine i went to my local garage (not audi) and they sorted it for me no problem!

Scrappy said:
I've had the same problem, I had all the bulbs replaced, as there was half the rear brake light strip above the windscreen not working, then one of the main lights at the back out too. They worked ok for a day, then same problem, lights all go out again, and i'm left with one main brake light and half the strip. But as i'm driving along the warning light disappears and they all work again, then it just keeps coming on and going off all the time.. very annoying when it beeps at me everytime!

Loose connection/oxidized parts

cure= WD40 and a pair of pliers

i tried all those remedies at the time and they didnt work - at the end of the day it was the wrong bulb!

Or it could be that. The lights system on VAG cars are a bit complex. Did you know that if you remove a bulb (or one blows) after the DIS warning the car kills the feed to that bulb connector? So even if you put a new good bulb in it still won't work. You have to turn the ignition off and on again after putting the new bulb in.

i didnt know that mate - thanks

since my car was at th garage i havent had any problems