Top Up Oil Spec 2.0TDi

Gti Jazz Blue

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I need to get myself some LongLife Topup oil for the 2.0TDi. So what spec and best place to pick it up ?

Cheers,

Paul

Spec is one of the following,which is displayed on the Miller Oils drum we have here

VW503.00
VW506.00
VW506.01

I have a feeling 506.00 is the longlife one.

505.01 Semi-Synthetic (normal plan)
506.01 Long-Life
507.00 (new generation for Long-Life. From Audi dealer the only one available in future for Long-Life)

so which brand does everyone recommend? castrol edge 0w30 TD?

For a 2.0TDI-140 the correct top-up was VW 506.01 with AVS and VW 505.01 for fixed interval servicing. Both of these specifications have been superseded by VW 507.00. 507 is also the only oil that should be used in a 170 2.0TDI.

Both Castrol Edge 5w-30 and Shell Helix Ultra VX 5w-30 meet the 507.00 specification. Others may also meet the spec but check on the container. If they meet the spec they will say so I'm sure.

You could try Opie oils (on ebay), they sell Castrol longlife or Fuchs Titan GT1
5w-30 vw507 spec(I'm told this is whats used from the factory).
I bought some the other week,its reasonable priced,free delivery and quick service.

Here's the bottle of Castrol I have in the boot in the small Audi bag:

Does that means it's on AVS? (Btw, is AVS another term for Long-Life servicing?)

Yes Longlife Service and AVS (Audi Variable Servicing) are the same thing. I think all new Audis leave the factory set for AVS. To check - look at the sticker with the VIN number in your service book. In the 3 digit codes in the lower part of the sticker should be one 'QG1'. This means Service Interval Prolongation in Audi speak which means Longlife Service of AVS.

thanks for that guys will get some castrol edge 5w30 later today!

Ouch £13.99 for a Litre of Castrol Edge at Halfords. I used to pay that for 5 Litres of Semi that I used in my Mark IV Golf (changed every 5K though).

I hope my 2.0TDi doesn't used too much between changes.

Thats everyone for your help.

Paul

Gti Jazz Blue said:
Ouch £13.99 for a Litre of Castrol Edge at Halfords. I used to pay that for 5 Litres of Semi that I used in my Mark IV Golf (changed every 5K though).

I hope my 2.0TDi doesn't used too much between changes.

Thats everyone for your help.

Paul

That's the reason we (the company) went for a 25L drum of Millers.
All bar one of our 2.0 tdi's burn oil at the sort of rate a 1972 Maxi would be proud of,so the MD got fed up of paying £15 per litre from the local Audi dealer.
So he set someone the task of finding an alternative.
The Millers works out at just under £10 a litre.

Comming from a 120K Miles 1.8T that didn't need touching between 5K changes this may well be a bit of a shock.

I guess my Shell Plus points will be getting used on Shell Helix of the correct spec.

Paul

Gti Jazz Blue said:
Comming from a 120K Miles 1.8T that didn't need touching between 5K changes this may well be a bit of a shock.

I guess my Shell Plus points will be getting used on Shell Helix of the correct spec.

Paul

You might strike it lucky and get one that doesn't use any.
It does seem to be a bit of a lottery though.