confirming my S3 order tomorrow, need one last bit of advice...

normski

Reaction score
The S3 I have reserved needs me to confirm my final spec tomorrow for a week 19 build (7th May).

I am happy about everything except the GSM phone kit (armrest mounted).

I haven't had chance to really try it for too long at the dealer, but I know that on my current phone although it works it won't pass the sim info (ie. phonebook info) across. Not a major problem as I will just get a new phone that will.

However, is the kit really that good, and do I have to have a black fin on the roof or do they do them in colour now?

Sell miss this kit like an Audi salesman needing £400 to hit this month's target....lol:rockwoot:

normski said:
The S3 I have reserved needs me to confirm my final spec tomorrow for a week 19 build (7th May).

I am happy about everything except the GSM phone kit (armrest mounted).

I haven't had chance to really try it for too long at the dealer, but I know that on my current phone although it works it won't pass the sim info (ie. phonebook info) across. Not a major problem as I will just get a new phone that will.

However, is the kit really that good, and do I have to have a black fin on the roof or do they do them in colour now?

Sell miss this kit like an Audi salesman needing £400 to hit this month's target....lol:rockwoot:
Yes, the phone prep really is that good, and you get a body coloured fin if you order your car in either Brilliant Black or Phantom Black.

Yes, the phone prep really is that good
Seconded, it is indeed worth every penny but you need the MFSW to get the most out of it.
and you get a body coloured fin if you order your car in either Brilliant Black or Phantom Black
PMSL :)

That is shocking that you can't even have a fin to match the colour of your car...

Yes another vote for the GSM, but only in conjunction with the Flat bottomed MFSW.

Chins, how bad does a black fin look in the middle of your silver roof (same colour I am going for).

Cheers mate,

Apparently it is easily removable and sprayable if I don't like it anyway, but if you like it, it probably looks good .

Thanks for referring me to Gaz Williams. Seems like a good bloke.

Normski

If possible, get a phone for which a cradle is available. Whilst you don't need a cradle to use the phone via bluetooth, I've found it far more useful than I thought I would.

The charging is dead handy, as I never, ever have a low battery any more and don't have to charge it outside the car. As for the sharkfin, I never thought it would improve the signal that much but I was very wrong. On bluetooth, I get 2-3 bars out of 5 on the signal strength whilst, when in the cradle, I always get a solid 5 out of 5.

Sound advice vertigo, but I chnage my phone every twelve months and I don't fancy shelling out £100 plus each time. I will see how the bluetooth goes to start with, unless ofcourse they do a generic adaptor for the ericsson fastport, then I just might.

Confirmed my order and spec for the S3 today...

Metallic Silver, Black Leather, Brushed Alu Trim, Cruise, Bose, Symphony, GSM Arm Rest Phone Prep, Interior Light Pack, Front Arm Rest, Flat Bottomed MFSW, Rear Through Load, Privacy Glass, Luggage and Storage Packs, Electric Lumbar Support, Electric Folding Mirrors, Homelink and a few little bits and bobs.

Hopefully be here by early to mid-May....

Can't come soon enough.:icon_thumright:

Good one, here's my spec: Phantom Black, Bucket Seats, Piano Inlays, Bose, Symphony, GSM Arm rest, Interior light pack, Flat bottomed MFSW, rear parking sensors....

Regret not ordering Sat nav, Through load and cruise...

Pedro

normski said:
Confirmed my order and spec for the S3 today...

Metallic Silver, Black Leather, Brushed Alu Trim, Bose, Symphony, GSM Arm Rest Phone Prep, Interior Light Pack, Front Arm Rest, Flat Bottomed MFSW, Rear Through Load, Privacy Glass, Luggage and Storage Packs, Electric Lumbar Support and a few little bits and bobs.

Hopefully be here by early to mid-May....

Can't come soon enough.:icon_thumright:
Well done, nice spec. Why silver? I hear it's the thieves' favourite in the Midlands......:scared2:

newbiecrg said:
Regret not ordering Sat nav, Through load and cruise...

Pedro
Retro-fit the RNS-E, especially as you already have the GSM prep and MFSW.

Cruise is a waste of time, I had it on my last car and didn't bother ordering it this time. Unless you do a lot of driving on deserted motorways, you'll never be able to hold a constant speed long enough to make it worthwhile. I was forever adjusting the speed and cancelling/resuming on mine.

The only time I ever found it useful was for holding a steady 40 or 50 through roadworks.

Cruise would be great for Pedro, I think he travels to and from Portugal regularly from what I've read. I found it invaluable on the French motorways, they're much quieter than over here and their lane discipline is far better than ours.

I have just added cruise to my spec (I had ordered it but forgot to put it on the post).

Each to his own. I have had my last car for 8 years and regretted not having cruise all along. I have test driven the S3 three times, two different cars. I found myself using the cruise all of the time in 30's, 40's and 50's. There are loads of long country A roads nearby with low limits for miles and miles. Was the first thing I specced.

I do not travel Portugal-UK a lot but travel a lot in Portugal and Spain, so cruise was an option I forgot to order... Sat nav although I do not needed it really in my travel, would simplify some map reading and good at reselling..

The idea of cruise was actually to save some petrol in the long distance runs I do by holding a steady pace... also is less tiring!

Never mind

About the RNS-E I would like to retrofit it but I found is too much for my knowledge or time... unless someone can point me someone who would fit it for me I won't take a chance in a DIY...

Thanks
Pedro

JamS3, did you have any Sat Nav or u just had a symphony double din? Also, where is S8Craig based and how long did it take to fit?

Thanks, mate
Pedro

Vertigo1 said:
Cruise is a waste of time, I had it on my last car and didn't bother ordering it this time.
I don't agree. I've had cruise on both my A3s and wouldn't be without it. I find it very useful, not only for motorway cruising, but also for maintaining a steady speed in areas where there are regular gatso van patrols. It is all to easy to creep over the limit when in a flow of traffic.

Added electric mirrors and homelink to my spec today.

The build week had laready slipped to week 20 from week 19 for some reason!

Mine is scheduled for build week 20 too normski, will be interesting to see who's comes first. It's gonna be a long wait:sadlike:

newbiecrg said:
JamS3, did you have any Sat Nav or u just had a symphony double din? Also, where is S8Craig based and how long did it take to fit?

Thanks, mate
Pedro

No mate i had the standard concert single CD head unit. If you don't get BOSE then there is only one wire to snip and it is a straight fit in, then some quick coding with vagcom to tell the car you have nav.

If you have BOSE then in addition to the wire to snip the BOSE wire just needs moving from one pin to another on the wiring harness at the back of the radio then some quick coding.

S8Craig is based in Manchester and it takes about 30-45mins to fit.

Believe me well worth it!

Try searching for the seller nikin777 on e-bay he supplies the 2006 model year A3 units.