Calling All Audi Sales Execs on ASN

Spook

Reaction score
...... a challenge for you.

I'm looking to buy a new S3 in the very near future, but 1. I refuse to pay full list price and 2. I'm fed up of trawling the Interweb looking for cheaper prices which almost always turn out to be over-optimistic/fictitious when I enquire further.

So, I'll cut to the chase and simply ask:

Which of you can save me the most money on the list price of a new S3?

keep dreaming.... not so soon! They can play a bit if you have a part exchange and another (very little) in their comission...

Pedro

P.S.: If you fancy a left hand drive, ready to go that is still at the dealers (o miles) let me know! PM me if interested I'll give you full spec and price..

The fact you say 'very near future' means to me you have no deposit to actually order one yet? That's probably the biggest reason why people are refusing to give you any kind of discount.

Not an Audi dealer but i get people saying "I'm looking to buy in the near future" every day at work.

Feel like saying "Well, come back when you can afford it and stop wasting my time".

Stock and availability changes every day and obviously will effect the deal that you'll get. As will, as already mentioned, how desirable your p/x is.

That's why dealers probably haven't got much time for you.

If someone walks in and says "I'm looking to buy today, what deal can you do for me?", it's a different story.

smitch said:
That's why dealers probably haven't got much time for you.
Don't recall saying that.

As it happens, I will be a cash buyer with a cash deposit. But even when I have mentioned this to dealers, and given every indication that I would deal there and then for the right price, all I have got is the sucking of teeth and "ohhh, sorry sir, Audi aren't doing discounts on the S3" and at best been offered at best a couple of hundred quid off. Not nearly good enough as far as I'm concerned.

As soon as a dealer gets real with me, they'll get a deal from me. Is that too much to ask?

Have you tried playing off dealers, especially in the same group? I didn't really but got a deal from one that the others offered to match.

I have test driven the S3 at three dealers in the same group, the first two kept saying "no discount on the S3", I then got offered a discount at the third dealer which is quite substantial, then surprise the other dealers were "oh well we can match that, we want your business". And my response was "why lie to me in the first place then, sorry but no thanks".

normski said:
Have you tried playing off dealers, especially in the same group? I didn't really but got a deal from one that the others offered to match.

I have test driven the S3 at three dealers in the same group, the first two kept saying "no discount on the S3", I then got offered a discount at the third dealer which is quite substantial, then surprise the other dealers were "oh well we can match that, we want your business". And my response was "why lie to me in the first place then, sorry but no thanks".
What sort of discount did you get, if you don't mind me asking?

As a cash purchaser with no p/x and no loan, getting a good discount will be tough. Dealers can make a lot of money off your p/x, and get a good commision on any loan they sell you, so these will always help you get a better deal. Getting a really good discount on a car thats only been out a few months though is going to be tough, the best discounts to be had will probably be on cancelled orders etc. that the dealers need to shift.

I got a £1000 off from one of the sytner group dealers, but found it tough going and im used to buying lots of cars

Why sell a desirable vehicle at a discount when people are queing up to buy em?

A lot of the time demand outstrips the supply with premium vehicles so why give em away.

What sort of percentage do you call a reasonable discount then???

smitch said:

A lot of the time demand outstrips the supply with premium vehicles so why give em away.

What sort of percentage do you call a reasonable discount then???
You make it sound like Audi are selling the S3 as a one-off special car with limited production numbers.

Let us be clear about this; the S3 is a mass-produced motor car. Any semblance of limited availability is only because Audi choose to artificially restrict the production or import numbers for profit/marketing reasons. You either play along with their game, and pay whatever it says on the sticker without a whimper, or you use your position as a customer to try and negotiate the best deal possible for yourself. As my personal resources are finite, I tend to do the latter.

Totally agree with you mate, but you're playing the game and they're holding all the cards. Not saying it's right but that's the way it is.

If you play the game right, you might have to do a bit of leg work and travel but i'm sure you'll be able to do a deal somewhere. It's just that dealers are working out that if they all deal the same way they all make more money, can't blame em for that can you???

S3 is a mass produced car and not limited edition. The problem is that the demand, just now, is far greater than the offer or the allocated cars....

When I ordered mine in the end of November I got the March slot at my Audi dealership...

Again, if anyone is in a rush I will happily sell my new S3 around £29k, it has not even been delivered but it is for sale...

Pedro

P.S.: It's the market if you sell a product that is on demand you do not need to do discounts or offers to get rid off it... The opposite is also true...

Just shop around mate some one will deal. I have just bought a Rolex Submariner Date, very limited stock, most desirable, yada, yada, yada as all the dealers told me, no discounts what so ever, people queuing around the block for them.

Funny cause one dealer knocked £400 off for cash on the spot, no haggling, and got my business.

smitch said:
It's just that dealers are working out that if they all deal the same way they all make more money, can't blame em for that can you???
Erm, yes you can actually. It's called acting as a cartel, and it's illegal in this country.

Spook said:
Erm, yes you can actually. It's called acting as a cartel, and it's illegal in this country.

Only if they're working together. Which they're not.

staz1000 said:
Only if they're working together. Which they're not.
They will have a job proving they're not working together if they're all saying the same thing......:busted_cop:

Spook...got nearly two grand off, but my best make works at the dealer and has called in a few favours for me, so not an offer generally available, however straight away the other two garages said they could match it.

Newbiecrg...take it you don't want the S3 anymore, what you chosen instead?

It's like buying any commodity at the end of the day (and a car is just another commodity): you will find some retailers willing to deal and some that won't. Shop around!

However, the S3 is "limited" in that [UK] dealers were allocated around 8-12 units this year only, as the German manufactures play the supply and demand game very well. Whereas other Audi products are available in larger numbers.

While the car may be mass produced, the fact that it is in limited supply makes it a "limited edition" in its own right surely...

The same could be said about the RS4, it is a special car no doubt, but my dealer has sold loads lately and certainly a couple a week. They will be almost as common as M3's soon perhaps, whereas the S3 is pretty damn rare.

I haven't seen one privately (ie. not a test car) owned S3 8P on the road yet and I am on them a lot

To be honest normski, I'm just feed up of my car being in the dealer since beginning of March to get ****** plates. They took 3 weeks to get a Certificate of Conformity from Audi UK that I could have done myself, free of charge, from Audi Germany (like a friend from the forum told me and I verified...)

Just feed up of not getting the car and it's just an S3, nothing exotic... If I knew I had to wait I would have waited more for something more special... not a ****** A3! Anyway I know I will forget all this as soon as I get to drive it...

If I get rid of the S3 I will place a deposit either on the new M3 or on an S5 instead but not worried about it... What happened is that all this fuss and lack of interest has put me off of my S3...

Pedro

Spook said:
They will have a job proving they're not working together if they're all saying the same thing......:busted_cop:

Only cos they're all given the same RRP and they know what their markup is

newbiecrg said:
To be honest normski, I'm just feed up of my car being in the dealer since beginning of March to get ****** plates. They took 3 weeks to get a Certificate of Conformity from Audi UK that I could have done myself, free of charge, from Audi Germany (like a friend from the forum told me and I verified...)

Just feed up of not getting the car and it's just an S3, nothing exotic... If I knew I had to wait I would have waited more for something more special... not a ****** A3! Anyway I know I will forget all this as soon as I get to drive it...

If I get rid of the S3 I will place a deposit either on the new M3 or on an S5 instead but not worried about it... What happened is that all this fuss and lack of interest has put me off of my S3...

Pedro

If I could jusitfy an M3 or the S5 both on price and economy I wouldn't even be considering the S3, but for a car that is minimum £14,000 less (book) and offers almost the performance of the above, I think the S3 is quite special and most of the A3 owners on here probably dream of owning one.

Be positive m8, once you have it I doubt you will regret it, however if you think you should never have ordered it because you wanted something else, then unlucky and I wish you the best of luck with off loading it. No one likes driving a car they regret.

No, don't get me wrong, I'm not regretting ordering the S3, it is a car I like... What I mean is that the way I has developed last three weeks has put me a bit off Audi, that's all... S3 is a great car and is the car I want and need.

There weren't many options for me in the 250hp range and I wanted an hatchback. I won't try to sell but as with almost anything I own, everything has a price. I can sell my S3 very quickly if I want, have some buyers fro it but I do not wish to sell... I just want my ****** car and the last three weeks have been absolute torture and it seems they are taking the ****... I had to do some research myself and phoned them about the COC last wednesday... Guess what? All of a sudden, in that same day, they managed to get the thing going....

Just generally ****** off!!!
Pedro

Fair comment, Audi can be funny to say the least.

I have also looked around for something with 250 plus bhp, three or two door with four good sized seats and couldn't find anything better.

The closest I came were the R32 and a 330 coupe M-Sport. The R32 was so much fun to drive, but by the time you spec leather athey are the same price as S3, and fule plus the fact that it is a golf an the interior is not as good got rid of that one.

I loved the look of the 330 coupe, but when I drove it I found it so boring, it gets you there quick but with no fun at all, and those electric ****** seats to give access to the rear...who ever thought of that was a knob. And at six plus grand more....

Nothing else out there that I can find.

There you go! ;) We have to stick with an S3 :)

BMW are too perfect in the sense of smooth and progressive power delivery, even the diesels... I want a less perfect engine, with flaws, with character, etc... Cars can be very fast but for me is not the speed that thrills me but the way we get there...

Pedro

P.S.: Where are you from normski?

Spook said:

Only if they are inflating the price - which they aren't, they are simply selling at the Manufacturer's recommended retail price. Personally I think we (the UK) make to much of a big deal with the dealers and not the manufacturers. There is not as much profit for dealerships in new cars as you might expect. Hence why they want your part exchange as cheaply as possible.

Customers seem to think profit is a dirty word.

Quentin Wilson has got a lot to answer for....

There is a big difference between whats reasonable in my mind and that of the stealers. They need to make money, or how else will i get a free coffee when I'm sat waiting for the £90 an hour tech to finish on my car, i understand that.

newbiecrg said:
There you go! ;) We have to stick with an S3 :)

BMW are too perfect in the sense of smooth and progressive power delivery, even the diesels... I want a less perfect engine, with flaws, with character, etc... Cars can be very fast but for me is not the speed that thrills me but the way we get there...

Pedro

P.S.: Where are you from normski?

I know what you mean, like the way the S3 lags for a second then throws you back in the seat...and roars like a wild roaring thing when you ar near the top of the rev range.

Interestingly the 330 I drove was a bit less refined than I am used to and I drive 330's and 530's for a living, but they just aren't much fun compared to either the S3 or R32, both of which feel liek you are racing even when you aren't.

PS. I am from just south of Brum

newbiecrg said:
Where can I get a job like that? :)

Pedro

Its not all glamorous and it gets worse by the year, role on retirement...:detective2:

smitch said:

Absolutely right. It's still too early to find decent discounts on such a new, desirable car. Best wait until a few find their way into the nearly-new market which will help suppress prices and open up a few deals. Unfortunately, I think this will be from 12 to 18 months time.