Think The S3 Has Some Stiff Competition!

emzino

Reaction score
As the title suggests, were in for some rough weather as BMW unveil there new M3 V8.

Details taken from PistonHeads (http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=16061):
  • 3999cc
  • 414bhp @ 8,300rpm
  • 295lb ft @ 3,900rpm (251lb ft available from 2,000rpm)
  • 8,400 max engine speed
  • Engine weighs 202kg – 15kg lighter than old ‘six’
  • Aluminium silicon alloy crankcase, iron-coated pistons run directly in the bores of hard silicon crystals
  • Bedplate structure
  • Crankshaft weighs 20kg – 5 main bearings
  • Oil cooled pistons
  • High-strength steel magnesium alloy connecting rods weighing 623g each
  • Single piece alloy cylinder heads with 4 valves per cylinder
  • Double Vanos variable camshaft control
  • Double chain-driven cams
  • Oil system works to 1.4G with 2 pumps
  • 8 individual throttle bodies. Accelerator pedal position monitored 200 times per second. Takes 120 milliseconds to reach maximum opening point.
  • No air mass sensor – ecu does the calculations from the range of data available to it
  • Two, 4-1 ‘fan type’ exhaust manifolds
  • 4 cats
  • MSS60 ecu – development of the one found in the V10 M engine. Three 32bit processors. Can handle more then 200 million individual operations per second.
New M3 V8 engine specs

Fuel - RON 98 (95)
Max output bhp - 414 at 8,300rpm
Max torque lb ft - 295 at 3,900rpm
Max engine speed - 8,400rpm
Stroke mm - 75.2
Bore mm - 92.0
Displacement cm - 33,999
Distance between cylinders mm - 98
Cylinder arrangement - 8-cylinder V-engine
Valve plate diameter, intake mm - 35.0
Valve plate diameter, outlet mm - 30.5
Compression ratio - 12.0:1
Fuel injection - Intake pipe fuel injection
Fuel injection pressure bar - 3–6
Average combustion chamber pressure bar - 12.6
Maximum combustion chamber pressure bar - 100
Engine weight to BMW standard kg - 202
Output per litre bhp/litre - 103.5
Crankcase - Aluminium
Valvetrain - Infinite camshaft adjustment and hydraulic valve clearance adjustment for intake and outlet (double VANOS)

Shouldn't the M3 more likely compare with the RS4 instead? :think:

It is definately going to out-run the S3 ...

I thought it was like this:

M3 = S3
M5 = RS4

and so on and so forth but just done some research and your right, it's direct competition with RS4 and Mercedes C63 AMG. My bad...

But it is a cracking car! It's a tough on between the RS4 & the new M3. Hmmmmm

I'm afraid not

As far as I am aware it is

1 Series = A3

3 Series = A4

5 Series =A6

7 series = A8

etc

414bhp out of a NA 4 litre? That's pretty special!

What does an M3 has to do with an S3?

Give me an M3 anyday off the week....

Maybe next year....

Pedro

staz1000 said:
414bhp out of a NA 4 litre? That's pretty special!

Not quite as special as the new GT3...claimed 418 BHP from a 3.6.
Evo tested one at (I think) 427 BHP.
That's even more special...

But anything above 100 BHP/litre is special in my book!

I can't honestly see the V8 M3 and the S3 going for the same target buyers...
The M3 will be nearer RS4 money, if nothing else.

Ess_Three said:
Not quite as special as the new GT3...claimed 418 BHP from a 3.6.
Evo tested one at (I think) 427 BHP.
That's even more special...

But anything above 100 BHP/litre is special in my book!

I can't honestly see the V8 M3 and the S3 going for the same target buyers...
The M3 will be nearer RS4 money, if nothing else.

Ahh yes but 418 out a 3.6 is VERY special not just pretty lol

Emzino made a mistake. He's changed the title to RS4 has some tough competition.

Eventually we'll have to uprate the 100bhp/l threshold as better and better engines come out!

staz1000 said:
Emzino made a mistake. He's changed the title to RS4 has some tough competition.

That's right so please stop pointing out the obvious :keule::asskicking:

emzino said:
That's right so please stop pointing out the obvious :keule::asskicking:

Hey no need for that. I'm on your side after you made a mistake thinking an M3 was a rival to an S3!

Regardless of what the M3 can achieve, it'll still be driven by a complete ****@r!

staz1000 said:
Hey no need for that. I'm on your side after you made a mistake thinking an M3 was a rival to an S3!

I meant it in a sarcy way. Hard to show it when typing heh :arco:

I assume you didn't look at the price of the M3 before starting this one?

But the S3 will certainly hold its own with the 335 and at £10,000 less.

emzino said:
I meant it in a sarcy way. Hard to show it when typing heh :arco:

but I'd expect a few more comments cos the title on the forum hasn't changed lol

emzino said:
As the title suggests, were in for some rough weather as BMW unveil there new M3 V8.

Yeah, I think the M5 and M6 offer some stiff competiton to the A2 as well, think the A2 will struggle to keep up with these babies....

Lol, stop taking the **** now everyone. He made a mistake and I don't think we should punish him any more.....ok just for today give him hell, but come tomorrow......give him some more:jump:

a3norwich said:
OI! I used to have an E46 M3!!!

But you saw the light...

Only kidding fella, I've nothing against M3 drivers, past or present - it was just an alcohol induced posting, my bad :sorry:

Hmmm, just a differrent light I think. Was getting a bit fed up with their dealers' arrogance. Seems I have swapped it for a different type of arrogance with my first Audi...

Have to say though, BMWs don't have creaky doors, folding mirrors that have a mind of their own, central locking/door mirrors/windows that stop working for no reason, door alignment problems, etc, etc!

"A characteristic of the car, sir..."

a3norwich said:
Hmmm, just a differrent light I think. Was getting a bit fed up with their dealers' arrogance. Seems I have swapped it for a different type of arrogance with my first Audi...

Have to say though, BMWs don't have creaky doors, folding mirrors that have a mind of their own, central locking/door mirrors/windows that stop working for no reason, door alignment problems, etc, etc!

"A characteristic of the car, sir..."

And you still ordered an S3?

I love BMW's as much as I have always wanted an Audi. We have some new 530's at work and the amount of piddly problems with them is unreal. Either a bad batch or standards are slipping everywhere.

Indeed I did! A moment of madness perhaps. However, I don't think there's such thing as a perfect car. They all have their problems! My M3 ownership wasn't without "entertainment"...!

staz1000 said:
but I'd expect a few more comments cos the title on the forum hasn't changed lol

I changed the title as soon as the 2nd post pointed out that the M3 isn't up against the S3 but theres a bug with the forums.

When I change the title, it only shows the updated title once the thread is opened and not when it lists the threads in the 8P section... :idea:

normski said:
And you still ordered an S3?

I love BMW's as much as I have always wanted an Audi. We have some new 530's at work and the amount of piddly problems with them is unreal. Either a bad batch or standards are slipping everywhere.
If you're talking about cop cars, you should know that police fleets are made up of lemons in weird specs that their first owner rejected.......;)

mmmmmm M3 - my next car - prob old shape - love em

Spook said:
If you're talking about cop cars, you should know that police fleets are made up of lemons in weird specs that their first owner rejected.......;)

Completely untrue with the BMW's, they don't even bother putting the seats in em any more to make space for the armoury, factory built to order and spec including wiring looms etc. for lights, and allsorts, plus they have such an odd spec that no-one else would touch them before us.