Golf Mk4's just wanna race!

jo_sal77

No Comment!
Reaction score
Must be 3rd time in a row this week and I keep getting these darn boy racers in their Golf TDi Mk4's wanna race me. Must be the effect of the new sticker I put at the back of my A-tree "Audi-Sport.Net". Of course I say byeee to them!!

I was gonna say make sure it's not a TDI 150 (all letters in red) but just noticed you've had an MTM ECU remap to 176bhp so no worries lol.

In that case, watch out for the A3 TDI 170's. There out there... :eyebrows:

emzino said:
I was gonna say make sure it's not a TDI 150 (all letters in red) but just noticed you've had an MTM ECU remap to 176bhp so no worries lol.

In that case, watch out for the A3 TDI 170's. There out there... :eyebrows:

Cheers for the heads up! I didn't realise there was a 150 out there... There's one other famous VAG I managed to beat in a straight line the other day.... a..... "TT"!! was quite surprised. Well.... it was the basic of its range. A 180 to be exact. Tell tail sign was it's exhaust. The 1 exhaust tail pipe told me to give it a try... So I did... The remapped 176 caught up and eventually edged more foward and still getting faster, we were already in jail territory speed. I soon as I knew I could do it, I slowed back down... It was fun for that second.

No worries mate. This is what your looking for:

147060-4.jpg

or even better:

133852-3.jpg

TDI = 100
TDI = 110/115
TDI = 130
TDI = 150

Seems like our lovely torque comes into play when coming up against the TT 180 :) are the 180's turboed?

Does that mean if I have a remapped 140 to 17/8X ish, I can take out an 8L 1.8T? (150 and 180)...

You can't go on a badge ;)

My Ibiza still had the Tdi badge on the back but was running 225bhp and 320Lbs/ft :icon_thumright:

Yeah, badges mean nothing these days, specially with turbocharged engines as it is very easy to chip them...

Leave the races to the racetrack! But enjoy your motor...

Pedro

newbiecrg said:
Yeah, badges mean nothing these days, specially with turbocharged engines as it is very easy to chip them...

I know what you mean about badges.
My Mk3 GTI is badged as an 8v....but has a tuned 16v engine with a low ratio gearbox...
That confuses many people..."seems a bit quick for an 8v..."

Leave the races to the racetrack! But enjoy your motor...

Good advice there Pedro...

emzino said:
Does that mean if I have a remapped 140 to 17/8X ish, I can take out an 8L 1.8T? (150 and 180)...

I had some guy in his (A3-8L) 1.8T go head to head. This wasn't on a motorway. What ever speed I did in my diesel he did the same. Didn't feel satisfying at the time. Would have loved to have raced him on a straight road.

Wolfsburger said:
Most UK dealer supplied Golf 150 PD`s were badged GTI (red i).

Apart from that, you`re spot on!

Really, my mate and I both have 1.8T 150 (ish) brake GTi's and they are GTI with a red I. Never seen a diesel with that badge from stock.

PS. How come you went for a Pashat

normski said:
Really, my mate and I both have 1.8T 150 (ish) brake GTi's and they are GTI with a red I. Never seen a diesel with that badge from stock.

PS. How come you went for a Pashat

All the 150PD Golf`s I looked at were GTI (red i).

I needed the extra space of the Passat. It`s OK I guess, not a car that does anything badly. I looked at the A4 Avant but thought they were too expensive next to the VW.

The GTIs with a red I that I know have the 180bhp version of the 1.8T petrol engine... Never seen a TDI badged as a GTI... At least in Portugal...

I'm not aware of the UK market peculiarities but you can be funny guys, steering wheel on the wrong side and things like that... ;)

Pedro

This has been discussed many times over on UKMKIVs. The conclusion always seems to be that there are no hard and fast rules regarding the colour of the lettering. I think it just depends on what mood the badge department at Wolfsburg are in that morning.

The A3 2.0 TDI owner complains about 1.9TDI Golf owners! Close family, sure they were racing you not just riding the torque and showing up the majority of petrol cars as you were?

You guessed, it my other car is a Golf TDI :D

By the way, there are some 2wd 150BHP TT's out there (they might ll be soft tops though).

I had one of those as a loan car for a day, awful, awful thing. like being inside a old pram, and went about as fast

I was gonna get a MK4 Golf TDI 150/130. Dunno what it is but the RS4 rims just suit it so much lol.

Ah well :)

My bf mk4 Anniversary diesel has loads of 1.8 T racing him including me, but he ****** on them, its 150 standard remapped to 196. bhp

Guys I had a Bora PD150, all red a TDI on the back and very quick, especially if they have been mapped, lookin at over 200BHP and a truck load of torque. The Gti with a red i normally symbolises the 180Bhp petrol turbo. The PD 150 came with a few different badges but mainly TDI or GT TDI.

I got absolutely rinsed by one on the M6 one night, left me standing in my standard Bora and kept accelerating away and we are talking 'man in a curly wig' speeds. Awesome.

I'm sure a re-mapped A3 2.0 TDI 170bhp would blow them out the water though?

EAGLE79 said:
The Gti with a red i normally symbolises the 180Bhp petrol turbo. The PD 150 came with a few different badges but mainly TDI or GT TDI.

Not too certain about this.

My 150bhp 1.8T Golf was badged GTI (red i) supplied new from a UK franchised VW dealer.

My 150bhp PD Golf was also badged GTI (red i) supplied new from a UK franchised VW dealer.

I'm pretty certain about this!!!! If that was the case I think that only happened in the UK market....

Pedro

newbiecrg said:
I'm pretty certain about this!!!! If that was the case I think that only happened in the UK market....

Pedro

It probably happened for the UK market specifically. Remember we also had the 1.8 125 bhp non turbo car badged GTI purely as a marketing tool by VW UK.

I think the cars probably arrived badged TDI but were changed by the dealers, my two Golfs were both badged GTI (red i) new from the dealers although they were different spec (one 1.8T and one PD).

But anyway, my 150PD went very well indeed.