First Long (well ish) journey in the A3 my thoughts

Gti Jazz Blue

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Well took the A3 for a spin to Ruislip and back yesterday on business.

My thoughts on the A3.

MPG, well I was impressed, 2.5 hour trip up in traffic on the M27 and M3 and I averaged 42MPG. The quieter trip home averaged 45MPG, which coming from a chipped 1.8T run on V-Power makes a nice change.

Correctly adjusted Xenons are fantastic. I adjusted them Wednesday night, dug the VAG-COM out and tweeked them up a twist on the adjusters as Audi set them too low (James have one of the dealers adjust them with the sportsline springs on).

The DSG box in traffic is a must, I just drove all the way in D and let the box take the strain. I have only used the paddles half a dozen time since I picked it up from James (MarriedBlonde).

How cheap are Audi though not fitting a graduated passing mirror (like I have on my 99 Golf GTi) on the drivers side. James has fitted one of those stick on curved type, but I find it just keeps getting in my way, so I think I will have to lay out for a new mirror glass with the graduated blind spot bit.

Bose sound system, well this has got to be the best factory fitted stereo option I've heard, but still not as good as the Alpine/Focal Utopia/Infinity system I have in the Golf. The Denison ICELink works well apart from it doesn't seem to charge the IPod (even though it is set to in the options) as I had a flat IPOD battery mid way through my journey. Luckily I had the USB cable with me and so I could charge it on-site from my Laptop for the return journey.

So all in a very pleasant and enjoyable trip in the A3.

Now a technical question, when sat it traffic is is kinder to the DSG to stick the box in N and use the handbrake rather than hold it on the brakes in D ?
I mean when stationary on the brakes does the box engage the electoclutch so there is no wear on the clutch when you hold it on the brakes?

Regards to all,

Paul

Gti Jazz Blue said:
Luckily I had the USB cable with me and so I could charge it on-site from my Laptop for the return journey.

You should get one of these:

http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?i=101668

I got a similar product in a PSP case+kit from logic3.

You can plug in anything that can charge from a usb cable ie mobile phone, psp or mp3 player

staz1000 said:
You should get one of these:

http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?i=101668

I got a similar product in a PSP case+kit from logic3.

You can plug in anything that can charge from a usb cable ie mobile phone, psp or mp3 player

Only issue with that is the Dension is supposed to charge it and the IPOD is in the Denison so I can't plug the IPOD cable in to charge it whilst it is in the Denison.

I think I will email Denison support to see what they have to say as the IPOD isn't at fault as it charged fine from my Laptop.

Thanks for the suggestion though, may pick one up so that I can charge my V3 phone whilst in the car.

Paul

Gti Jazz Blue said:
How cheap are Audi though not fitting a graduated passing mirror (like I have on my 99 Golf GTi) on the drivers side. James has fitted one of those stick on curved type, but I find it just keeps getting in my way, so I think I will have to lay out for a new mirror glass with the graduated blind spot bit.
Don't know about you but I don't need it as there isn't a blind spot.

On my previous cars I've used the stick-on curved thingy you speak of but, on the A3, I've found that by the time the overtaking car has left the mirror's view, I can see it out of the corner of my eye so there is no blind spot.

Out of interest, is it a Sportback? If so then the B-pillar may obscure your vision a bit more as it's further forward than it is in the 3-door.

Vertigo1 said:
Don't know about you but I don't need it as there isn't a blind spot.

On my previous cars I've used the stick-on curved thingy you speak of but, on the A3, I've found that by the time the overtaking car has left the mirror's view, I can see it out of the corner of my eye so there is no blind spot.

Out of interest, is it a Sportback? If so then the B-pillar may obscure your vision a bit more as it's further forward than it is in the 3-door.

No Is is a 3d, perhaps I will try just removing the blindspot mirror and see how I get on.

marriedblonde said:
45mpg - this is making me cry I am geting 24mpg...

Sorry mate that has got to hurt. Is that 24MPG on V-Power or std 95UL.

I'm only sticking in the regular stuff...

Not great when I am doing 700 miles a week at the mo! Oh well I'm sure I can get it closer to the 31 average they state! I managed more on the test drive...

Now a technical question, when sat it traffic is is kinder to the DSG to stick the box in N and use the handbrake rather than hold it on the brakes in D ?
I mean when stationary on the brakes does the box engage the electoclutch so there is no wear on the clutch when you hold it on the brakes?

Not sure which is 'kinder' to the DSG but putting it into N is certainly 'kinder' to the driver behind you if you are going to be stationary for more than a minute or so. It means they don't have to sit there and be blinded by your brake lights, especially at night. I was taught to drive when consideration to other road users seemed to be much higher on the agenda than it is today.

I always used to hate sitting behind an 'auto' with the brake lights on all the time they were stopped becuase they were just too lazy to move the lever into neutral and apply the handbrake as I was always taught to do whenever I stopped when driving a manual and I vowed not to do the same to others when I started driving in a car with a DSG.

h5djr said:
I was taught to drive when consideration to other road users seemed to be much higher on the agenda than it is today.

I was once told to drive with passenger comfort in mind.

I've used that since to brake earlier, move through the gears in a smooth way and also, as you said, consider others on the road as well.

Kids these days...