Few Queries After Having The Car For 2Weeks

emzino

Reaction score
Right. I've had my A3 for roughly 2 weeks now and absolutely love it! It's the best car i've ever driven and been in. Wouldn't swap it for the world but I do have some questions, which I couldn't find in the manual (I did read it when I first got it a little while ago and it is so big!) so I was wondering if someone can shed some light into my situation.

Firstly, what on earth is this flap above the rear mirror...

Secondly, I can't seem to get the 2 blowers above the centre console to work whatever setting I do. Maybe i'm not doing it right? When it was cold the other day and I turned it to high, only the side ones worked... How do I get them to work?

Thirdly, is it right for me to get this many miles with that much petrol?:

Here is what my DIS is saying about my average MPG:

And here is what MPG I was getting with very normal driving (changing gears just before 2k rpm but sometimes going just over to 2.5k rpm when going slightly up hill):

Am i still not driving it right or is that about right? I mean sure the MPG for a diesel isn't right but it changes to 45+ when i'm on a straight road but I don't know what gear I should be in when i'm cruising at say 30-35mpg... 4th seems like it's too high and 3rd revs it too much...

Sorry for all the questions, it's just some things I had in my head all the time :keule: but thought i'd get around to it yesterday by taking the pictures.

Many thanks in advance.

the flap is an extra sun blind to cover the gap over
the mirror.

Rotate the outside ring on the vents to make sure they are open?

I think I can answer a couple of your questions:

1. The small flap above the mirror is a small sun-visor which helps to stop the sun shining in your eyes when it comes in between the to main visors.

2. To get air flow out of the main vents you can press the centre button on the air con control panel between the up and down arrows on the Right hand side. When the weather gets hotter and the air-con is working to cool down the interior the Auto setting will push cold air out of these vents, but in colder weather, not a lot comes out of them.

3. Don't worry too much about the DIS mpg readings. Just use them to get an idea of the overall mpg. You can see readings like 900mpg when your going a long hill with very little throttle applied and down to 20mpg when accelearting hard up a hill.

When I've been on holiday in Austria and going down some of the mountain passes it's a standig joke between myself and my wife that we as making fuel as we going along because the miles left just keeps going up and up. I had it reading over 1000 miles once. It quickly went down again when I needed to apply some power.

1. Aha I see. I guess summer time will judge whether I will need that or not.
2. Oh ok i'll try that when I get in the car later. Just seemed like they weren't even working at all!
3. Yea the the DIS readings can be crazy like normally when im about to stop and im rolling in 2nd, I put my foot down on the clutch and it reads out 200mpg lol. It never stablises neither, one minute im doing 43mpg then 1minute later its doing 24 or 37... really unstable lol.

I wish it never read so much on the little ways that we do and a good example is your holiday in Austria lol. Must of been a joke hehe

Also, on point no2, you have made sure the vents are actually open haven't you? (Rotate until white dot is at the top)

Yep there on, the white points are at the top :) just wish they were abit more effective...

I will use that button that h5djr said to see if they can come into play more.

419a4a56.jpg

I understand that the center vents are for cold / cool air-only, and the side vents do hot and cold.

Hot air will come out of the centre vents only AFTER the car has warmed up and the air is warm, when starting the car and the air is cold most of it is vented out at floor level to save a icy blast in the face!

If you hold your hand infront of the vent and then press the button you have circled above you should feel the extra air hitting your hand.

Try it with the ECON light lit as when the aircon is on the heating and power is regulated automatically and it may be coming out from the floor and not the centre vents.

Ahaaa I see. Well I just took it out on my way to gym and the button I highlighted does enable the central vents to turn on and it was lovely :)

I'm gonna try it on with ECON tomorrow to see how I get on.

Thanks everyone :) <3

emzino said:
Right. I've had my A3 for roughly 2 weeks now and absolutely love it! It's the best car i've ever driven and been in. Wouldn't swap it for the world but I do have some questions, which I couldn't find in the manual (I did read it when I first got it a little while ago and it is so big!) so I was wondering if someone can shed some light into my situation.

Firstly, what on earth is this flap above the rear mirror...

Secondly, I can't seem to get the 2 blowers above the centre console to work whatever setting I do. Maybe i'm not doing it right? When it was cold the other day and I turned it to high, only the side ones worked... How do I get them to work?

Thirdly, is it right for me to get this many miles with that much petrol?:

Here is what my DIS is saying about my average MPG:

And here is what MPG I was getting with very normal driving (changing gears just before 2k rpm but sometimes going just over to 2.5k rpm when going slightly up hill):

Am i still not driving it right or is that about right? I mean sure the MPG for a diesel isn't right but it changes to 45+ when i'm on a straight road but I don't know what gear I should be in when i'm cruising at say 30-35mpg... 4th seems like it's too high and 3rd revs it too much...

Sorry for all the questions, it's just some things I had in my head all the time :keule: but thought i'd get around to it yesterday by taking the pictures.

Many thanks in advance.

your dis has a dead vertical line as well

a3guy said:
your dis has a dead vertical line as well
When you quote someone can you learn to not include every single picture they posted too? You can pick and choose what part of what they said to quote

eg

a3guy said:
your dis has
a3guy said:
a dead vertical
a3guy said:
line as well
many thanks

Yes, I noticed that as well.... Faulty DIS? you should go to the dealers and have it checked... not good on a 2 weeks old car (I'm assuming it is a new car...)

Pedro

I spotted that too but dismissed it as a fault with the image. I didn't realise it was on all of them.

Sort it emzino!

Yea I posted a thread about the DIS remember lol. It's a used car, 53plate but yea. I think someone said it'd cost me about £500 id rather the money go elsewhere =/
I really need to save up at the moment and to be honest it isn't getting worse so it can stay like that until i've ticked off all my boxes.

But well spotted :) lol

no worries, for £500 would not bother me as well... It's just a car, not a precious thing and if it still works as it is leave it...

Pedro